• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mid to late February Pattern Discussion...stormy or end of winter?

ORH_wxman

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coastal residents and EMA do not encompass the entire region. Good shot at accumulating snow in a good majority of the geo region per Euro.

Disagree. Ride persistence until the horse throws me off. Most of the mets here pretty much agree. The euro kind of blows something up it of nothing. Good luck.

But I do agree on the snow part. Just not a heckuvalot.

Disagree. Ride persistence until the horse throws me off. Most of the mets here pretty much agree. The euro kind of blows something up it of nothing. Good luck.

But I do agree on the snow part. Just not a heckuvalot.

Euro has done this all winter. It's not like it stayed consistent with the 0z run it went east...one more run and the energy escapes se like all the other models. IMHO.

Euro ensembles still look decent with an overrunning look and cold air moving into the Plains. SE ridge would keep storm track active I would think. Even a weak -NAO.

Yeah still trending more amped with the AK ridge. Hopefully we have a nice cold air supply to the north but with the southern stream more active and a slight SE ridge look, we can get some pretty fun events out of that.

Yeah still trending more amped with the AK ridge. Hopefully we have a nice cold air supply to the north but with the southern stream more active and a slight SE ridge look, we can get some pretty fun events out of that.

I'm actually glad Canada stays cold and snowy it appears...even the nrn tier. We will soon be getting into the time of year where the sun will heat bare ground (aka last winter and 2010) so we need the cold refrigerated as much as possible heading towards March.

Sounds like just enough to ruin whatever pack we can muster up from the 2 snow events this week

Yeah if we don't get more than 6" or so...then whatever falls probably wouldn't survive. Not that a 1-2" pack is all that sacred to hold onto. But if we get lucky and the Friday storm dumps on us, I don't think it would melt out in the warmup.

Pattern reloads in the PAC though afterward, so we'll have another round of chances.

Yeah if we don't get more than 6" or so...then whatever falls probably wouldn't survive. Not that a 1-2" pack is all that sacred to hold onto. But if we get lucky and the Friday storm dumps on us, I don't think it would melt out in the warmup.

Pattern reloads in the PAC though afterward, so we'll have another round of chances.

Much more interesting look to the "torch" for CNE/NNE on the 18z GFS. We keep the cutter unphased and just end up with a marginal northern stream system.

The 06z GEFS are just brutal cold for the CONUS in the long range...not sure I believe the magnitude of that, but its definitely loving the -EPO.

The Euro ensembles continue to build up the AK ridge in the long range, but the 00z run was liking the idea of digging the trough more to the SW and having a SE ridge, so it would be a big gradient pattern which could either be good for us or potentially screw us. Still a lot of features to figure out between now and next week as we get clsoer, but I do think that winter is far from over for the CONUS...more confidence in that part. The lower confidence is how we fare in our BYs. The SE ridge idea definitely raises the stakes if it comes to pass because it can be potentially very active with a lot of cold air available, but cutters always remain a very realistic possibility in that setup.

The 06z GEFS are just brutal cold for the CONUS in the long range...not sure I believe the magnitude of that, but its definitely loving the -EPO.

The Euro ensembles continue to build up the AK ridge in the long range, but the 00z run was liking the idea of digging the trough more to the SW and having a SE ridge, so it would be a big gradient pattern which could either be good for us or potentially screw us. Still a lot of features to figure out between now and next week as we get clsoer, but I do think that winter is far from over for the CONUS...more confidence in that part. The lower confidence is how we fare in our BYs. The SE ridge idea definitely raises the stakes if it comes to pass because it can be potentially very active with a lot of cold air available, but cutters always remain a very realistic possibility in that setup.

Yeah you summed it up well. The Plains could get very cold for sure, but we may be on the fence here. Given what we've endured, I'll take that look and run for now. We'll see how things look as we approach this weekend.

Yeah, or 11-14 or so..something like that. Although, the op runs have tried to limit the extent of it.

Yeah I could see a pretty mundane torch with upper 30s or lower 40s type highs for a couple days. Though if we get a stronger cutter, then it could try and spike 50F for a day, but right now it looks pretty tame.

The 06z GFS actually kept the first system that was a potential cutter flat and gave a snow/ice event, lol...but then it ejected the SW energy and produced a bomb into the lakes a couple days later.

The winter, as I posted in the other thread, is shaping up a bit like 2006-07 if we believe modeling. Very mild start, then a sharp turn to colder in mid to late January with a cold/snowy February. That was an historically cold February though, whereas this one looks to be a bit closer to normal. 06-07 was remembered as a decent winter in Northern New England with the Valentine's Day/St. Patty's Day/Tax Day systems, as the period from early February to mid April was ridiculously cold and snowy. Will this winter also be remembered as the tale of two very different seasons?

Archived