e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Early Spring Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that sarcasm? I hit 63F today, it's getting chilly right now though, 41F in Old Bridge.

In Brooklyn in his area and particularly on the ocean, I am sure many did not experience such warmth and even if they did it was very brief. Also, with the winds near the ocean nothing felt like 63 for sure.

In Brooklyn in his area and particularly on the ocean, I am sure many did not experience such warmth and even if they did it was very brief. Also, with the winds near the ocean nothing felt like 63 for sure.

Amazing the difference.. Didn't get above 45 here.

Currently 31 here..

Oh wow, I didn't realize the huge discrepancy in temperatures. I guess that's why when it sometimes surges to the 70s or even 80s in Jersey, it can still be in the 50s right near the ocean or further east/northeast. 

Oh wow, I didn't realize the huge discrepancy in temperatures. I guess that's why when it sometimes surges to the 70s or even 80s in Jersey, it can still be in the 50s right near the ocean or further east/northeast. 

We also had consistent cloud cover with occasional showers up this way..

We also had consistent cloud cover with occasional showers up this way..

At 3:40 today I left Monroe here in OC, temp was 38 and a few flakes mixed in with some rain. Probably the last I will see at this point- but was pretty cool. The amazing thing is I was going to an appt in Oradell, NJ and when I got down there 40 mins later it was 54. Quite a disparity.

At 3:40 today I left Monroe here in OC, temp was 38 and a few flakes mixed in with some rain. Probably the last I will see at this point- but was pretty cool. The amazing thing is I was going to an appt in Oradell, NJ and when I got down there 40 mins later it was 54. Quite a disparity.

Yeah I remember watching the Yankee game yesterday afternoon and all they kept saying was what a beautiful day today lol.. I was freezing my butt off 

Warmup delayed on the GFS and Euro

Not necessarily delayed, but the intensity of the warmth has weakened. Instead of it being a persistent warm spell like the models originally indicated, there are now some short lived cool shots in between. The CFSv2 still has decent warmth around weeks 2 & 3.

... Fire Weather Watch in effect from Wednesday morning through

Wednesday evening for gusty west winds... low relative humidities
and dry fine fuels for the tri-state area... 

The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Fire Weather
Watch for gusty west winds... low relative humidities... and dry
fine fuels... which is in effect from Wednesday morning through
Wednesday evening.

* Affected area... New York City... Long Island... the lower Hudson
Valley... southern Connecticut and northeast New Jersey.

* Winds... west 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.

* Relative humidity... as low as 23 percent.

* Timing... the strongest winds and lowest relative humidities will
occur Wednesday afternoon.

* Impacts... increased fire spread if ignition occurs.

Precautionary/preparedness actions... 

A Fire Weather Watch means that critical fire weather conditions
are forecast to occur. Listen for later forecasts and possible
red flag warnings.

sometimes i think fire weather watches only serve to alert arsonists that they have an opportunity.  i don't see anyone reading the alert and changing their habits as a result.  it's kind of like when the news "warns" people about the newest most popular drug...it winds up being an advertisement for said drug.  just a thought on this slow weather day.

sometimes i think fire weather watches only serve to alert arsonists that they have an opportunity.  i don't see anyone reading the alert and changing their habits as a result.  it's kind of like when the news "warns" people about the newest most popular drug...it winds up being an advertisement for said drug.  just a thought on this slow weather day.

I guess you're kinda right. There's nothing the general public can do with this information and basically only serves to warn anyone who might be having any kind of fire outdoors but thats really about it.

It's also to prepare people if they do live in fire prone areas. The fires out in the pine barrens last April did destroy some property. I agree that it gives arsonists an opportunity. But the point of FWW are just to let the public to know and be a little more cautious if they are using anything that could ignite a fire. 

sometimes i think fire weather watches only serve to alert arsonists that they have an opportunity. i don't see anyone reading the alert and changing their habits as a result. it's kind of like when the news "warns" people about the newest most popular drug...it winds up being an advertisement for said drug. just a thought on this slow weather day.

I guess you're kinda right. There's nothing the general public can do with this information and basically only serves to warn anyone who might be having any kind of fire outdoors but thats really about it.

It gives the general public a heads up, not to do any outside burning, or a fire can quickly become out of control. Also, supposed to make people think about being less careless with cigarettes, etc. Yea right. An arsonist is going to set a fire whether there's a Red Flag Warning or not, it doesn't matter to them. Also it serves as a way for us 1st responders to get a heads up easier about the impending conditions. Not all firehouses have multiple state forestry guys as members, like mine does, so it's a way of getting information out.

Went down to acy for over night trip and on the way home took 35 north home to point pleasant. Just incredible on how much damage in the narrow part of the islands. These houses just completely on there sides. Outside the major attraction areas, it will be a slow road back. Poor Mantoloking, I don't even know where to start there. Obviously some area worse then others, but the amount of houses for sale and unlivable is horrifying. I suggest anyone interested in the power of nature take that trip.

The death of the landscape from the salt water is also very impressive

Went down to acy for over night trip and on the way home took 35 north home to point pleasant. Just incredible on how much damage in the narrow part of the islands. These houses just completely on there sides. Outside the major attraction areas, it will be a slow road back. Poor Mantoloking, I don't even know where to start there. Obviously some area worse then others, but the amount of houses for sale and unlivable is horrifying. I suggest anyone interested in the power of nature take that trip.

The death of the landscape from the salt water is also very impressive

Exactly how it is here, minus the homes on their sides. The homes here are all physically standing but many are uninhabitable or completely gutted on the inside without the funds to fix completely. Many are just waiting for the bulldozer. Very eerie and quite depressing.

Exactly how it is here, minus the homes on their sides. The homes here are all physically standing but many are uninhabitable or completely gutted on the inside without the funds to fix completely. Many are just waiting for the bulldozer. Very eerie and quite depressing.

It's real depressing. Growing up seeing how beautiful that area was, people are in for a real shock. If you were lucky to survive the water, the house needs to be totally gutted anyway. The spot on 35 were the fire was is just unreal. That beautiful hotel just destroyed by flood waters.

We've been going down every couple of weeks to check on the second home in Lavalette. To say the least, it was much worse just one month ago. Removal of most of the boats from properties along with demolition of many of destroyed homes has also helped clean up the area. The sand is also taking on its more typical appearance (no longer brown, clay-like appearance). It is still terrible down there, but much, much better than it was. Ironically, the NJ shore will likely have a record breaking summer. Recent poll showed that 85% of NJ residents were not going to change their summer plans.

It's real depressing. Growing up seeing how beautiful that area was, people are in for a real shock. If you were lucky to survive the water, the house needs to be totally gutted anyway. The spot on 35 were the fire was is just unreal. That beautiful hotel just destroyed by flood waters.

Archived