• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow threats for the mountains.

Met1985

Monty Combs took this picture from Grandfather Mountain Saturday morning 02FEB13 before the snow started up.

The entrance gate received 8.5 inches of snow, 1500' up there was more snow but measurement is difficult due to wind blown snow.

NboHjk4.jpg

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC
949 AM EST SUN FEB 3 2013

THIS IS THE NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAIN AND FOOTHILLS REPORT...
WHICH INCLUDES THE HIGH AND LOW TEMPERATURES AND PRECIPITATION
FOR THE 24 HOUR PERIOD ENDING AROUND 7 AM THIS MORNING.

.BR GSP 0203 E DH07/TAIRZX/TAIRZN/PPDRZZ/SFDRZZ/SDIRZZ
:
:   STATION            ELEV: OBS   HIGH  LOW   24 HR  SNOW   SNOW
:   NAME                     TIME  TEMP  TEMP  PCPN   FALL   DEPTH

BCHN7:BEECH MOUNTAIN   5069:DH0700/ 28/  16/   0.40/   8.0/    10
BOON7:BOONE            3098:DH0600/ 32/  13/   0.20/   2.0/     3
FTSN7:FLAT SPRINGS     3355:DH0700/ 30/  16/   0.48/   6.4/     7
HTSN7:HOT SPRINGS      1400:DH0700/ 36/  20/   0.12/   1.5/     1
JFFN7:JEFFERSON        2770:DH0800/ 34/   9/   0.12/   0.3/     3
LENN7:LENOIR           1300:DH0700/ 41/  20/   0.02/   0.0/     0
MRHN7:MARSHALL         1800:DH0700/ 36/  14/   0.11/   2.0/     2
MMTN7:MOUNT MITCHELL   6240:DH0700/ 28/  12/   0.54/   5.0/    11
MURN7:MURPHY           1800:DH0700/ 33/  22/   1.75/   1.8/     2
SPPN7:SPRUCE PINE      2500:DH0700/ 37/  14/   0.07/   1.0/     1
ROBN7:STECOAH          2150:DH0700/ 34/  17/   0.18/   2.3/     2
.END

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics nchigh, we got up to Banner Elk to a sort-of remote cabin about 6-7 miles from downtown.

On Saturday there was already around 5-6" there

15yzpea.jpg

It started snowing Saturday around noon when we were up at Sugar, snowed all night and awoke to this the next morning..

npj49w.jpg

2bw842.jpg

Around 12-15", was hard to get a good read because the wind was kickin' and a lot of drifts. Hard a little trouble getting off the road leaving as it was still pouring snow over 24 hours when we left. Most def got the snow fix for the year though!

Jburns is right. Those counties were sectioned off due to terrain differences and the different micro-climates observed. This is why we now issue separate mtn top fcsts as well, even tho maybe only a few people live there.

Interesting...I figured maybe population would play a bigger role in all of that.

I know another complaint that I hear from the general public is how McDowell County is split on a map display. You and I know that McDowell Mountains is for the ridge tops but to the average person they see the map and think that about half the county falls under McDowell Mountains.

• 2 weeks later...

May need a thread for the Tuesday morning event...I see chance of sleet/freezing rain/maybe some snow off the mountains in the foothills....maybe Winston if the EURO is right. 

Would result in widespread delays/closings. Any freezing rain is automatic advisory criteria so would imagine a large coverage area of possible advisories.

I didn't know we had models that we could rely on past 10 days let alone 3-4 weeks out.

periods of strong blocking like the one coming up don't come and go overnight. They lock in and hold for a few weeks. Expect the nao to drive the pattern for the next three weeks. I don't know about four. But, we can see how things liok this time next week.

periods of strong blocking like the one coming up don't come and go overnight. They lock in and hold for a few weeks. Expect the nao to drive the pattern for the next three weeks. I don't know about four. But, we can see how things liok this time next week.

This is a given and its not rocket science that the upslope areas are in for one heck of a ride the next several weeks. They don't need a storm, the nwsf will be something to behold when you tally it all up by mid March. As soon as Tuesday storm gets by to the north then by weeks end it will start delivering. In all honesty I believe sugar and beech mountain will get a total of 3 feet or more of snow over the next 15 days starting 2/25 through 3/12.

This is a given and its not rocket science that the upslope areas are in for one heck of a ride the next several weeks. They don't need a storm, the nwsf will be something to behold when you tally it all up by mid March. As soon as Tuesday storm gets by to the north then by weeks end it will start delivering. In all honesty I believe sugar and beech mountain will get a total of 3 feet or more of snow over the next 15 days starting 2/25 through 3/12.

I agree, met85 and snowjoe will be measuring in feet.

I agree guys this looks like the next few weeks are going to be rocking with upslope events. Moto I agree 1 to 2 feet plus I bet the way things are looking. My are does very very well with these type events and man o man this coming in March non the less. Also looks like the cold is goimg to be for real this time and this could end up being one of the coldest month we have had in a few years. Very excited about the upcoming events.

I guess I'm just not conviced that the blocking and NW flow will hold for weeks but I sure hope it does. I'd love to see some pics from our mountain posters.

Here are some pics from this past week.  Also all it really takes for just the ideal NW flow setting up is a few days to see up to a foot in some of the TN/NC boarder areas. Heck im not sure if the blocking will holding for more than a week but thats really all we need.

Nice Don. Ya and this maybe pretty good for you this next week. We have not had a real good NW flow event in a few years. I remember a few years back when it snowed all weekend from the NW flow snow and we had about 9 inches were I lived at the time but near the boarder there were waist deep snow drifts.

Archived