• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Storm Threat Discussion Monday 1/28/13

Edge Weather

Its not a big snow, its not a big ice, a pain but the kids aren't excited about this.  They want their big snow for their cold and didn't get it.

Haha people have been spoiled as of late.  I have a feeling the ricocheting from absurdly crazy winters to basically duds (or even practically non-existant like last year) will be commonplace going forward.  Abnormal is the new normal.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

amazing that there is so little discussion after the insane scrutiny over the last system and even people going crazy receiving just an inch...this is a much more dangerous and potential impacting storm in terms of road conditions.

The little event the other day settled everybody down a bit I think, if that one had not happened it would be more crazy in here right now.

I have never, ever seen the NWS in Mt. Holly put up winter weather advisories in Mercer, Philadelphia, Delaware and Newcastle (DE) counties and not have one up in Middlesex County (outside of systems, where the precip just wasn't going to reach that far north).  The point-and-click, text and graphical forecasts don't look appreciably different, so I just don't get it.  The AFD doesn't address this very unusual situation, either.  Would be interested to hear the rationale. 

No advisories in parts of NJ or NYC. I think a surprise ZR scenario might be in the making. Wetbulbs < 24 areawide with a 1034mb sfc high in upstate NY. 00Z NAM skew-t's are pretty icy right down to NYC through tomorrow mid afternoon.

true - and this radar shows the precip might make it here by morning rush or during it - will make a huge difference in travel conditions if it does

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/WXTYPE/loop25ne.html

also check out the barometer readings with some still rising !

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.asus41.OKX.KOKX.html

amazing that there is so little discussion after the insane scrutiny over the last system and even people going crazy receiving just an inch...this is a much more dangerous and potential impacting storm in terms of road conditions.

I highly doubt it. Going to be no big deal.

Its not a big snow, its not a big ice, a pain but the kids aren't excited about this.  They want their big snow for their cold and didn't get it.

but this is more fascinating to follow and watch for the weather enthusiastics...perhaps we need just a snow discussion board because they like to talk about it even in the summer and want it to snow then as well.

Maybe not down by him but it will be for us NW folks.

It's still only 19F here...I think we will see some icing problems in the morning especially with how cold the ground has been.  00z NAM soundings looked pretty wintry around here, keeping the surface below freezing through 18z (early afternoon).   Mt. Holly doesn't even have us under a WWA and yet they have Mercer and Philadelphia counties under one which I have never seen before; I would also be curious to hear their rationale behind that.

It's still only 19F here...I think we will see some icing problems in the morning especially with how cold the ground has been.  00z NAM soundings looked pretty wintry around here, keeping the surface below freezing through 18z (early afternoon).   Mt. Holly doesn't even have us under a WWA and yet they have Mercer and Philadelphia counties under one which I have never seen before; I would also be curious to hear their rationale behind that.

I believe this excerpt from Upton's AFD explains what is going on with winter weather advisories (or lack thereof) in metro NYC (including the portion covered by Mt. Holly, since they coordinate):

INITIAL THOUGHT WAS LIGHT OVERRUNNING PRECIPITATION BEGINS MOVINGINTO THE WESTERN HALF OF THE CWA BY AROUND 15Z WITH INCREASINGISENTROPIC LIFT...SPREADING TO THE EASTERN PORTIONS OF CT AND LITHEN BY 18Z. WITH A COLDER AIR MASS IN PLACE...PRODUCING TEMPERATURESGENERALLY BELOW FREEZING...THE INITIAL P-TYPE SHOULD BEGIN AS SNOWEVERYWHERE. HOWEVER...AS WARM AIR ADVECTION SETS UP INCREASINGTHE LOWER LEVEL TEMPS...COULD SEE SLEET MIXING IN FOR A FEWHOURS MIDDAY ALONG THE COAST...THEN BECOMING ALL RAIN BY LATEAFTERNOON. SOUNDINGS INCREASE TEMPS A BIT TOO FAST...SO HELD OFFFROM TRANSITIONING TO ALL RAIN UNTIL AFTER 21Z FOR THE COASTALZONES. BECAUSE OF THIS TRANSITION...AND WITH MINIMAL SNOWACCUMULATIONS EXPECTED...DID NOT ISSUE ANY WINTER WX ADVISORIESFOR THIS AREA.

You north and west folks are getting hammered this year. What are you up to 70"?

The three reliable CoCoRaHS observers in Sussex County NJ have reported 17-22" of snow this season, thus far.  Certainly more than NYC (a bit more than double), but nothing remarkable.

While NYC sits at 31 degrees , the north shores of Nassau and Suffolk counties are between 23- 24 degrees . at the onset as light snow begins to fall , you will not warm the surface right away , with .3 qpf expected . my guess is 2/3  of this is goin to be frozen and there is no  Winter Weather Adivosry  posted .  These places are not North and West of NYC , however they are colder this morning . The cold air at the surface mayb a little hard to scour than the models prog and I thnk the potential for some real travel problems could arise . I think there should be WWA  in these areas . IMO

Temp in western long island has been rising for the past couple of hours at 2:30am it was 20 and now at 6:05am it's up too 25..... If this continues we prob won't have to worry about to much frozen precip!!!!!

Temp in western long island has been rising for the past couple of hours at 2:30am it was 20 and now at 6:05am it's up too 25..... If this continues we prob won't have to worry about to much frozen precip!!!!![/quote

I agree 25 is the new 40

Archived