Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
1/23-24 clipper

Ian

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see how right they are. My feeling is that with that strong of vort someone will get sow east of the mountains though it probably won't be as widespread as on the NAM but that there probably will be a narrow band where people see over an inch, maybe even two if they are lucky. Not sure where the band will set up.

The problem for us with the higher res models is that they are further south. The southern half of VA does ok.

LWX going big!

.INITIAL THINKING IS A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MAYBE ISSUED TO COVER A SNOWY THURSDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR.

Not really... protocol now requires them to issue it if they believe snow may mess with the morning or evening rush in DC

But you missed the rest ;)

THE BAND OF SNOW ACROSS CENTRAL ILLINOIS INTI INDIANA WILL SLIDE

OVER NORTHERN VA SOMETIME BETWEEN 2 AM AND 8 AM. SOUNDING PROFILES

SUPPORT ADDITIONAL SNOW BANDING WITH A TIGHT 850MB TEMPERATURE

GRADIENT...STRONG JET DYNAMICS FROM UPPER TROF...A 50KT LOW LEVEL

JET AND GOOD MID LEVEL FORCING. THE NAM IS FARTHEST SOUTH WITH THE

BAND...PERHAPS FROM HARRISONBURG TO STAFFORD AND CALVERT COUNTIES

WHILE THE GFS HAS IT WORKING INTO THE DC METRO AREA. THE ECMWF IS A

COMPROMISE BETWEEN THE TWO. WE WILL FURTHER EVALUATE AFTER THE 12Z

MODELS COME IN...INITIAL THINKING IS A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MAY

BE ISSUED TO COVER A SNOWY THURSDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR.

The problem for us with the higher res models is that they are further south. The southern half of VA does ok.

Clippers are weird though. Max precip is always poorly defined. Not saying anything is wrong because the S does appear to do better. Things can change quicky as the precip breaks out and area of max lift is well defined. 

Clippers are weird though. Max precip is always poorly defined. Not saying anything is wrong because the S does appear to do better. Things can change quicky as the precip breaks out and area of max lift is well defined. 

I think that is a good point,  also because their higher resolution tends to concentrate the precipitation areas,  the higher resolution models often actually lost in term of equitable threat scores versus a slightly lower resolution version. 

Deform band should setup just north of dc. Thinking rockville-columbia line. 

Exactly my thoughts.  +1

9z SREFs are much more bullish about the clipper. 5 members spitting out 0.1" or more for Baltimore.  Each member has at least SOMETHING for Baltimore, with most around 0.03-0.05". 

Maybe someone can check BUFKIT, but 0.06-0.07" should be sufficient to get an inch of powder. 

Exactly my thoughts.  +1

9z SREFs are much more bullish about the clipper. 5 members spitting out 0.1" or more for Baltimore.  Each member has at least SOMETHING for Baltimore, with most around 0.03-0.05". 

Maybe someone can check BUFKIT, but 0.06-0.07" should be sufficient to get an inch of powder. 

9z SREFs 12 hr precip from hrs 18-30 have a 0.1 QPF bullseye just south of DC near EZF into S MD

Exactly my thoughts.  +1

NAM Bufkit from 6z gave BWI .3" snow with .o3" qpf but GFS Bufkit gave BWI 1.2" of snow with like .07" qpf

I'm not one of them,  I'm looking for the band to set up somewhere between DCA and Richmond.  Trouble with clippers is there will be prople who get passed over while others get in the band. 

and the sad lesson learned this year is the north trend doesn't work for DCA/BWI if it would mean a snowier forecast

Archived