joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a monster thump of snow with 850s of -12C draped over the air...CAD hanging tough east of the Apps.

It does. But I hate that track for us. Think it's a pretty good to lock we get some frozen out of this. This low level artic air will be hard to dis lodge

It does. But I hate that track for us. Think it's a pretty good to lock we get some frozen out of this. This low level artic air will be hard to dis lodge

It's a crappy track but we finally have an arctic airmass over us, so the results are going to be more like 1/28/09 than 12/27/12...

We probably dryslot pretty quickly after the initial front-end dump. Apparently QPF isn't huge. 

U guys hav no idea what ur talking about. Im serious. The first center runs to pitt. The secondary forms off the jersey coast. Ur 850s at the atart are minus 18 they get to minus 1. By the time 90 perc of the precip has fallen. Temps start im the low 20 and get to 32 in the park. So most of the precip is snow . And u end as sleet. U waa. So most of what falls is snow. This is not plain rain. Its not a blzz either but come on read the whole column. If the city gets 4 inches i wouldnt b surprised. And then the euro brings the pv back in right behind it. Chill pp

Thx for confirming a secondary does form. Couldn't tell with 24hr maps on Allan's site.

We will not get into the 40s. If we do not stay frozen, though I think we will, we will be stuck in the low 30s

The Euro has southerly winds gusting over 30 mph at the coast so LI would easily

climb into the 40's should the warm front clear the area. NYC looks like upper 30's

with colder air hanging on longer interior where most of the frozen will fall.

The Euro has southerly winds gusting over 30 mph at the coast so LI would easily

climb into the 40's should the warm front clear the area. NYC looks like upper 30's

with colder air hanging on longer interior where most of the frozen will fall.

CPK. Hr 120 850 are minus 18 precip starts. Surface temps low 20 s. hr 126. 850s CPK are minus 3. Surface temps close to freezing , by the time the precip ends most of the precip has fallen at CPK at or below freezing. I am sure that long island thru the coast of nj south sure not good. But CPK was what I spoke about and I don't see upper 30 at the height brother

U guys hav no idea what ur talking about. Im serious. The first center runs to pitt. The secondary forms off the jersey coast. Ur 850s at the atart are minus 18 they get to minus 1. By the time 90 perc of the precip has fallen. Temps start im the low 20 and get to 32 in the park. So most of the precip is snow . And u end as sleet. U waa. So most of what falls is snow. This is not plain rain. Its not a blzz either but come on read the whole column. If the city gets 4 inches i wouldnt b surprised. And then the euro brings the pv back in right behind it. Chill pp

I have the Euro in 3 hr increments from Wright-Weather and you are absolutely correct. NYC may turn over toward the end, in fact probably will, but at least 2/3rds of this would be snow in NYC and the NW burbs would be all snow.

CPK. Hr 120 850 are minus 18 precip starts. Surface temps low 20 s. hr 126. 850s CPK are minus 3. Surface temps close to freezing , by the time the precip ends most of the precip has fallen at CPK at or below freezing. I am sure that long island thru the coast of nj south sure not good. But CPK was what I spoke about and I don't see upper 30 at the height brother

They are only -10C at 12z and steadily rising with strong WAA. The Park gets a front end thump

before going over to all rain also.

hr 120 precip just entering the area, everyone except south east jersey bellow 32. .10-.25 has fell in nw jersey all other areas under .10, by hr 126 .25-.50 has fallen, 850 line basically on rt 78, 32 degree line into nw jersey, .  looks like precip ends before hr 126 though . so yes city would see front end snow, nw jersey probably all snow. i didnt look at any other levels though

They are only -10C at 12z and steadily rising with strong WAA. The Park gets a front end thump

before going over to all rain also.

I don't disagree that CPK sleets and rain at the end. But I thought u were saying CPK was goin to mid 40 s. but I thnk the park thumps before a change at the end and by the time they do 80 perc of what falls may b snow. We r not far off. U mayb 50 50. I am 80 20 mayb I can change as we get closer in

I can see brightwaters east. Down to AC goin to 40 if that map is right

Took a closer look at the surface temps, 850 temps and so on and I can tell you that at 123 hrs the max precip rates are happening in NYC and the 850 temps are still about -5 with surface temps right at 32 degrees. It is only after this heavy precip ends which is probably about 2 hours later that the temps warm up at 850 and the surface, so, this very well could be all snow even in NYC.

Took a closer look at the surface temps, 850 temps and so on and I can tell you that at 123 hrs the max precip rates are happening in NYC and the 850 temps are still about -5 with surface temps right at 32 degrees. It is only after this heavy precip ends which is probably about 2 hours later that the temps warm up at 850 and the surface, so, this very well could be all snow even in NYC.

I mean I'm sorry I meant no disrespect earlier. , but I kind read it the same way u r. Even took the goggles off.

I don't disagree that CPK sleets and rain at the end. But I thought u were saying CPK was goin to mid 40 s. but I thnk the park thumps before a change at the end and by the time they do 80 perc of what falls may b snow. We r not far off. U mayb 50 50. I am 80 20 mayb I can change as we get closer in

FWIW the wunderground snow maps look like a quick 1-2 at NYC before going over to rain after 15z.

KNYC looks like warming to upper 30's with 40's out across Long Island. But it all depends how how

much precip actually verifies. Hopefully, the system verifies less amplified since a more wound up

low would have too much WAA at the coast. 

NYC will snow for quite awhile on all of the model tracks currently shown minus probably the NOGAPS...the signal of that SE wind or S wind always shows on the models in these setups but never actually verifies, you wind up with more of a light SE surface flow because usually the high causes a bit of a damming setup.  As long as this does not ramp up into a sub 990 low and cut straight north into Michigan we're gonna see snow because of the cold airmass in place.  I don't forsee this being able to really cut much further west or overly deepen because the pattern is somewhat too progressive and another big arctic high is on its heels dropping into the Upper Midwest behind it.  The NOGAPS/Euro are probably almost a worse case scenario with this storm on the track. 

From looking at this in the 3 hr increments in high resolution, as modeled by the EC, I think this is a typical snow to drizzle at the end set-up after the heavy precip rates come to an end. It is pretty clear when seen in the 3 hour increments in high resolution. Not saying it will stay like this, but the Euro kicks every other model's rear end at 120 hrs out.

post-1914-0-34564800-1358710840_thumb.pn

wunderground  euro pushes the coastal sections into the 40's when most of the precip falls as rain.

but there is good CAD NW with snow or ice.

:(

That's what no -NAO does to us. Nothing at all to stop it from becoming more amplified and ultimately cutting. Hopefully we at least get something for all the cold air initially and some snow, but for the coast the cold gets easily pushed out. Inland probably goes snow to ice.

And all this bickering over specific temps for a storm 5 days away. Lets get the track of the storm set before debating temps. I dont think the models have a clue yet. Plenty of time for this to adjust south. Just my two cents.

i couldnt agree more!! And some of the best poster are breaking their own rules and doing it.

Based on the trends and the winter as a whole the only thing that is set in stone is the immediate coast will have trouble staying all snow...

i couldnt agree more!! And some of the best poster are breaking their own rules and doing it.

Based on the trends and the winter as a whole the only thing that is set in stone is the immediate coast will have trouble staying all snow...

I dont think you can say that about the coast either. Just yesterday it had the coast all frozen.

Archived