• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

15 and under is always recalled as a terrible winter...no matter how cold. 

yes i would say if either philly or new york get less than 15 it will be awful. If feb  turns out cold like some are saying we may end up winter only a degree or 2 above average, snowfall is so hard to predict, although many have said feb will be our snowiest month.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its crazy how close we've come the last 20 years to pretty much owning the top 10 snowless winters...91-92 I think entered March at about 3 inches, 94-95 was saved by one storm, 97-98 saved at the last minute by a fluke storm, I think we had 0.5 inches as of 3/20, 07-08 also looked dead in the water til the surprise overrunning event.   I think eventually Central Park will have a winter with 1 inch or less of snow.

Funny how those last minute of flukish events have saved those winters from being snowless. If not for the early Nov event. I would be like Philly at 1.1" thus far. If we do end up similar to last year, one can only wonder if we end up the same next year, with a triple sombrero. 1996-97 thru 1998-99 was the worst stretch. Worse than 89-90 thru 91-92.

Yeah, I'm not talking about getting this winter up average in the cities, but if NYC could get more than 10" on the season it would be out of the "god aweful" ranks, IMHO. Central Park has had 9 winters with less than 10".

I think this winter will easily finish above average in central park...two small events next week, and then early February looks ripe for a KU given the west based NAO left behind by the stratospheric warming. I can't believe people can look at this pattern and think we're going for futility records.

we have 5.1" of snow so far this season...The least amounts before February 1st are...

0.2" 1994-95

0.5" 1997-98

0.6" 1918-19

1.1" 1899-00

1.6" 1913-14

1.8" 1972-73

1.9" 1992-93

2.0" 1875-76

2.0" 1949-50

2.1" 1900-01

2.2" 1991-92

I want to say 99-00 was on pace to make it to February with only a trace before the 1/25 surprise saved us.

I want to say 99-00 was on pace to make it to February with only a trace before the 1/25 surprise saved us.

1965-66 was similar...It set the record for the latest measurable snowfall that was broken in 1972-73 on 1/29 I believe...1877-78 had a trace or 0.1" going into 1/31...It got an 8" storm from 1/31 to 2/1...Nothing after it...

I think this winter will easily finish above average in central park....

Midway through last winter I wrote the same thing...can it finish well...absolutely...but looking at where we are now, basic climatology, and just simple weather history...it will be quite an uphill climb.  You do not get four storms of 6 inches in Central Park in a 60 day period (20 of which are in March) very often. 

I feel comfortable that I have some room here for a north trend. We know how these SW flow events go...

This really is starting to feel like a Miller B redeveloper to me, GFS still not resolving which low center it wants to blow up but I'm betting some ensemble members are going to blow up that southern low.

Its a great bowling ball scenerio , it sniffs out  the low level cold air and takes the southern route , the path of least resistance .

It's not a bowling ball scenario....I see no closed h5 low bowling its way east....it's called a re-developer

Archived