• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

There is definitely some weak blocking over greenland holding the 50/50 in place looking at the 500mb NHEM maps. It's not a strong -NAO though

edit: what i mean is it's not strong enough to guarantee a snowy solution right now

I don't think we're gonna get much of a block, what will likely help us if we do ultimately get a snow event will be the bombing low sort of slowing that big arctic high from getting out of dodge.  That airmass is going to be very hard to move, you'd probably need a sub 990mb low to develop over the Midwest and I don't know if the pattern really supports that from what I'm seeing right now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is definitely some weak blocking over greenland holding the 50/50 in place looking at the 500mb NHEM maps. It's not a strong -NAO though

edit: what i mean is it's not strong enough to guarantee a snowy solution right now

Yeah, we may have to rely on the wave coming out less amplified so it stays all cold. But the tradeoff will be 

less precip with a weaker system. But it could still could be a decent light to moderate event for some should 

that happen.

18z GFS, snow changes to rain, low sits over NYC at hr 156

f156.gif

That Op run makes no sense, the primary transfers to a coastal then the primary re-takes back over again off New England....the GFS clearly wants to go Miller B on this but its having a tough time showing a true Miller B transfer right now.

Secondary low does not form in time. Primary is way too dominant in this run, northern stream too strong. Bad run... 

Almost all of the QPF falls before the changeover...it's a fine run. Remember, the frame shows the position of the 0C line at the end of that time frame, but the majority of the precip falls before the 0C isotherm gets that far north. 

Almost all of the QPF falls before the changeover...it's a fine run. Remember, the frame shows the position of the 0C line at the end of that time frame, but the majority of the precip falls before the 0C isotherm gets that far north. 

Oh, didn't know that, well that's some good news. Even so, 850 0C line is just south of LI at hr 150, then it's just over LI at hr 156, there will be mixing issues at some point if that happens. I wouldn't mind if we mix, as long as it's all frozen (freezing rain/sleet) given the cold denser air that this storm is running into.

GFS wants to torch the surface.  So its more rain, at least at the coast, than the 850 line would suggest.

Its 150 hrs out i dont thnk anyone nd debate precip type. Theres pretty good agreement ths doesnt go to the lakes. And the gfs operationals r warmer than its ensembles. And the euro. Theres goin to b a ton of cold air to displace. I would b more comfortable once inside 72 hrs talking rain snow line. I like the trend over the last 3 days and thnk ths far out you just need to see if the models continue. In ths direction.

GFS wants to torch the surface.  So its more rain, at least at the coast, than the 850 line would suggest.

Let me ask you a fast question Ray...you don't mind me calling you Ray?  What do you really make of these back to back winters...NYC with 5 inches for each...Philly with close to that last year and less than an inch in this one...I mean we know the climate...it's no snow paradise...but it used to get its storms...even in the bad years...couple inches here...couple inches there...the forecast six to ten would only produce three...but it was three more than this year.  What is your take on all off this as a top climate man?

Let me ask you a fast question Ray...you don't mind me calling you Ray?  What do you really make of these back to back winters...NYC with 5 inches for each...Philly with close to that last year and less than an inch in this one...I mean we know the climate...it's no snow paradise...but it used to get its storms...even in the bad years...couple inches here...couple inches there...the forecast six to ten would only produce three...but it was three more than this year.  What is your take on all off this as a top climate man?

I would chalk up the last two winters to random chance... though I agree with others that there's a lot of potential for the next few weeks to be productive around NYC and for this winter to not go down as god-aweful.

I would chalk up the last two winters to random chance... though I agree with others that there's a lot of potential for the next few weeks to be productive around NYC and for this winter to not go down as god-aweful.

I thought the same...just as when we had very good winters...I attributed much of it to luck & good fortune.  Even in patterns that seem ripe with potential, having the misfortune of having one piece of the puzzle missing can throw the whole thing off.   

You gotta figure you get winters like 95-96 and 09-10 where everything possible seems to go right you also have to get some where everything finds a way to go wrong and I guess you can get 2 of them back to back.  I don't feel exceptionally good about these 2 possible events since everything has managed to go wrong so far and it always seems when you're in that sort of rut it keeps going.

You gotta figure you get winters like 95-96 and 09-10 where everything possible seems to go right you also have to get some where everything finds a way to go wrong and I guess you can get 2 of them back to back.  I don't feel exceptionally good about these 2 possible events since everything has managed to go wrong so far and it always seems when you're in that sort of rut it keeps going.

after 1995-96 we got three clunkers and one mediocre...2009-10 and 2010-11 were the two snowiest seasons back to back...1996-97 and 1997-98 are the two least snowiest back to back belly to belly winters with 15.5"...So far 2011-12 and this year have 12.5"...we need 3.1" not to break that record...

I'm not expecting any blockbusters in the next few weeks, but a couple of 3-6" events would keep this winter out of the "god-aweful" ranks.

I'm not expecting any blockbusters in the next few weeks, but a couple of 3-6" events would keep this winter out of the "god-aweful" ranks.

1985-86 was hideous until the first half of February...after that it was worse...This winter is like 1931-32 so far...If 2012-13 plays out like that one did we will get cold in Mid February and March...Not much snow if any...

after 1995-96 we got three clunkers and one mediocre...2009-10 and 2010-11 were the two snowiest seasons back to back...1996-97 and 1997-98 are the two least snowiest back to back belly to belly winters with 15.5"...So far 2011-12 and this year have 12.5"...we need 3.1" not to break that record...

Its crazy how close we've come the last 20 years to pretty much owning the top 10 snowless winters...91-92 I think entered March at about 3 inches, 94-95 was saved by one storm, 97-98 saved at the last minute by a fluke storm, I think we had 0.5 inches as of 3/20, 07-08 also looked dead in the water til the surprise overrunning event.   I think eventually Central Park will have a winter with 1 inch or less of snow.

Its crazy how close we've come the last 20 years to pretty much owning the top 10 snowless winters...91-92 I think entered March at about 3 inches, 94-95 was saved by one storm, 97-98 saved at the last minute by a fluke storm, I think we had 0.5 inches as of 3/20, 07-08 also looked dead in the water til the surprise overrunning event.   I think eventually Central Park will have a winter with 1 inch or less of snow.

1997-98 had a few slushy events in December where I live on Staten Island...The March storm was less than 3" where I live...it was 90 on 3/31/98 imby...winter to summer in nine days...

1985-86 was hideous until the first half of February...after that it was worse...This winter is like 1931-32 so far...If 2012-13 plays out like that one did we will get cold in Mid February and March...Not much snow if any...

Yep...that was the only good part of the winter ...a storm on 2/8/86 and another on 2/11/86...4 or 5 inches with each...KNYC had 9.9" for February...not far from normal. 

I believe to the north and west of philly,new york and especially boston may get average snow. The cities will need a good march to do that in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm not talking about getting this winter up average in the cities, but if NYC could get more than 10" on the season it would be out of the "god aweful" ranks, IMHO.  Central Park has had 9 winters with less than 10". 

Yeah, I'm not talking about getting this winter up average in the cities, but if NYC could get more than 10" on the season it would be out of the "god aweful" ranks, IMHO.  Central Park has had 9 winters with less than 10". 

15 and under is always recalled as a terrible winter...no matter how cold. 

Archived