• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

This solution makes more sense than much of the 12z data, due to the tendency of modelling to drive sfc lows to the north at the first "detected" sign of weakness in the flow. In the medium range, models will often find a weakness and underestimate the cold air damming, and shove the low northward as if it's a swinging door, when in reality, it's a brick wall. There will be an antecedent arctic airmass and arctic air immediately following the short wave - it's an arctic sandwich. Makes zero sense to drive a sfc low to Erie PA with the sprawling PV in Eastern Canada and strong low level cold.

Look to see 00z data begin to move a bit further south though I doubt we'll see a consensus on this for a few more days, which will be a more suppressed solution in my opinion. One that may provide the area with the largest in winter snowfall since 2010-11 (greater than a few inches).

Makes sense. I don't see the sfc low passing over Erie.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There could be a very nice present for everyone here interestingly if this system does ultimately go north with the northern wave amplifying.  By this I mean way north and west, probably over Michigan, this would likely not force the trough off the East Coast and would allow that 2nd southern disturbance to blow up and come up the coast as a big storm from DC to Boston...the first storm being a more true SWFE track near or just south of us forces the trough east and we miss the 2nd storm...just an interesting idea that if we do get screwed on the first wave we could have something waiting with that 2nd one.

There could be a very nice present for everyone here interestingly if this system does ultimately go north with the northern wave amplifying.  By this I mean way north and west, probably over Michigan, this would likely not force the trough off the East Coast and would allow that 2nd southern disturbance to blow up and come up the coast as a big storm from DC to Boston...the first storm being a more true SWFE track near or just south of us forces the trough east and we miss the 2nd storm...just an interesting idea that if we do get screwed on the first wave we could have something waiting with that 2nd one.

The irony of this winter has been: Get screwed by the first wave and close call with the second. Maybe this time there'll be a hit because of better upper air features. For starters a very good PV.

I think that it all depends on how amplified  the system when it ejects out into the Plains. We had a much colder pattern

ahead of 1-17-94 but the low still cut in with a more amplified pattern. We probably have to wait for the energy to get

sampled near the West Coast in a few days to know for sure.

Agree. If the s/w is more amplified than progged, there's a much greater probability of it breaking through the cold dome and running way inland. However given the current progged intensity, a northern solution seems unlikely to me. Either way it's nice to finally have a winter week coming up, with a system  to track.

18z depicts a 24hr long duration event despite its .5 QPF up to NYC. I'll take it.

First off, i doubt this even lasts 24 hours.  I know this isn't your traditional Miller A type situation, but with a neutral NAO I would say 18 hours MAXIMUM.  However, if a secondary does get cranking, I too feel that .5 QPF is VERY LOW considering the fact that sea surface temps are pretty warm.  This can be one of those storms, in my opinion, and if everything goes PERFECT, where we can see 1" per hour maybe more for 4-6 hours at the height of the storm for some.  Hopefully my thinking verifies....

First off, i doubt this even lasts 24 hours.  I know this isn't your traditional Miller A type situation, but with a neutral NAO I would say 18 hours MAXIMUM.  However, if a secondary does get cranking, I too feel that .5 QPF is VERY LOW considering the fact that sea surface temps are pretty warm.  This can be one of those storms, in my opinion, and if everything goes PERFECT, where we can see 1" per hour maybe more for 4-6 hours at the height of the storm for some.  Hopefully my thinking verifies....

We've had plenty of long duration events with the absence of a -nao. I can think of several in 1994. Plus, if timed well, the PV itself acts as the block. It does transfer, but the end result is a weak system the looks to rob some moisture from us, thus explaining the light qpf. If we could get a fast and beefier transfer from the weak primary then yes, we're in business. But like Isotherm mentioned earlier, this system has better chance of being suppressed by the PV so a juicier solution would be needed to produce.

Archived