Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GGEM is a solid front end thump for most of the area before mixing with and changing over to rain. it's the most amplified and warmest solution of the 00z suite so far.

Big change in the 00z UKMET. It was one of the most amplified solutions at 12z. Now it takes a track similar to the GFS solution.

GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

The UKMET has a habit of agreeing with the GFS most of the time.

:weenie:

Way too early, and this storm belongs in the banter thread anyway. Not the 1/26 thread.

Agreed I just always get excited when I see a trough orientation like that even though it won't come close to verifying. Also triple phasers will almost invariably result in a changeover for us unless the PV phasing occurs at the last minute

GGEM is a solid front end thump for most of the area before mixing with and changing over to rain. it's the most amplified and warmest solution of the 00z suite so far.

Big change in the 00z UKMET. It was one of the most amplified solutions at 12z. Now it takes a track similar to the GFS solution.

GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

The GEM is much earlier with the event as a whole than the GFS/UKMET...likely why its track is different.

PLEASE! Its a light to moderate snow event. Generic 3-6" storm no matter what ratios people try to fabricate.... a general 3" with some 6" lollipops...;-)

not to mention in the 2013 winter there is PLENTY of time for this to become a zero...

Your frustration this winter is hampering your thoughts. The 00z GFS verbatim is 6" plus for just about everyone, especially north and west.

you are a top 3 poster here...but 8-12???? lol. There is .4 QPF, we NEVER get those ratios. Jan 1996 didnt have those ratios....ONE TIME we got those in Jan 2004...ONCE.

That equates to 3-6" nothing more

Total QPF is about .75" for south-central NJ, which stays all snow this run. That would put them in the 8-12" zone. Also, places in north Jersey and extreme SE NY get .5" QPF with 850s near -10C...I haven't run BUFKIT but you have to think they get at least 12:1 ratios, if not a bit better. Again we're talking verbatim on the 0z GFS, not a forecast here:

post-475-0-12291100-1358744914_thumb.gif

Total QPF is about .75" for south-central NJ, which stays all snow this run. That would put them in the 8-12" zone. Also, places in north Jersey and extreme SE NY get .5" QPF with 850s near -10C...I haven't run BUFKIT but you have to think they get at least 12:1 ratios, if not a bit better. Again we're talking verbatim on the 0z GFS, not a forecast here:

attachicon.gifqpf1.25.gif

SNJ is the Philly thread...this is NYC. most areas near here are at less than .5.

you are a top 3 poster here...but 8-12???? lol. There is .4 QPF, we NEVER get those ratios. Jan 1996 didnt have those ratios....ONE TIME we got those in Jan 2004...ONCE.

That equates to 3-6" nothing more

. January '96 blizzard, while was very cold to begin with, never really had better ratios than 12:1.

and JAN '04 had 18:1 ratios

The 0z image I saw for this event had most areas N&W of NYC in the dark green designation.  This indicates 0.25" - 0.50" liquid equivalent.  I gravely doubt one would be able to obtain 8 - 12 inches of snow from that amount of water given the projected thermal profile...

Archived