CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its center comes off in a good spot , This seems like typical GFS error too me as it takes the center off to the East too fast .

The Euro is deeper ( prob too amped ) but come NE

I have never ( i mean almost ever 93- 96 , thats it ) seen the GFS hav me dead center 4 days out . Its alway been south and east for almost every 6 inch storm in my memory .

The block is weak so there should be enough resistance by the SE ridge , doesnt look like insurmountable confluence by the time the center is coming NE .

I think its a BM storm , think the strength is the issue . I will stay with that until the Euro changes my mind .

remember what happened last time, people got too greedy and wanted 6-12 and should have taken the 3-5 and ran, instead we got 1-2

nothing wrong with a 2-4/3-5 inch storm...those are the norms not big 10 inchers, people two spoiled by the last 10 years

Yes people's greediness caused the storm to behave as it did

remember what happened last time, people got too greedy and wanted 6-12 and should have taken the 3-5 and ran, instead we got 1-2

nothing wrong with a 2-4/3-5 inch storm...those are the norms not big 10 inchers, people two spoiled by the last 10 years

I always find it funny that people say "since people got greedy and wanted 6-12", we got 1-3"", as if nature cares what we want. Anyway, I wouldn't get too worried unless the Euro jumps off later today. Still numerous possibilities here.

ROTHFLMAO - Like the storm's give a hoot. Thanks for the laugh.

I agree but the NAM which is usually too far NW in this range has already trended to the GFS in a big way

The GFS ensembles largely are more amped than the operational, which is a clue that the operational could be too flat. Other models are more to substantially more amped. Unless these models trend away from that idea, I wouldn't get too worried. The NAM is also horrendous at this range and doesn't become better until within 48 hrs.

The GFS ensembles largely are more amped than the operational, which is a clue that the operational could be too flat. Other models are more to substantially more amped. Unless these models trend away from that idea, I wouldn't get too worried. The NAM is also horrendous at this range and doesn't become better until within 48 hrs.

This is a real good post

it is very typical for people to dismiss the solutions when they don't show a hit, just be consistent, if the GFS showed a nice hit, everyone would be lauding it. Since it doesn't everyone says toss it or its wrong. I mean you can predict the posts before they happen. If the Euro shows a hit everyone will be talking about big snows like its a definite.

Oh believe me I agree with all of that. However, I tend to think model trends are more important than previous runs that are big...if any models are trending the opposite way of the storm phasing, etc....at the very very least it is something that should be largely factored in, especially in a season like this. Cold was actually UNDERestimated not overdone as it usually is on the models. Could easily lead to a suppressed track with cold air dominating and the models I think are picking up on that

This is a real good post

We've seen this pattern how many times now with the GFS losing a storm? The phase has to take place in time and we can't have the destructive interference with the northern stream, but the Euro having it and the GFS not would be a no-brainer most of the time. And numerous ensembles still have a big system.

it is very typical for people to dismiss the solutions when they don't show a hit, just be consistent, if the GFS showed a nice hit, everyone would be lauding it. Since it doesn't everyone says toss it or its wrong. I mean you can predict the posts before they happen. If the Euro shows a hit everyone will be talking about big snows like its a definite.

Agreed ! You said it better than I did

Lol, dude if the GFS pretty much stands alone in it's solution at this range (NAM trending to it at this range means squat), hit or miss, it is to be dismissed every time in patterns like the one we are in and will be in come event time. Case closed. Of course everyone here is entitled to believe it but don't count on that to be reliable when determining a forecast.

Archived