CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you took a blend of all the model guidance today , including NCEPs QPF , Its not outside the envelope to think this can be a 4 inch storm ,

This WAS never ( outside 1 Euro RUN ) some monster system coming to the east coast .

No reason to throw the towel in or be angered by todays guidance . It snows Fri , and if you get 4 inches thats the most many have seen ( near the coast ) since NOV .

The only way we are getting a moderate snowfall with this event is if we start to see the models moisten up again with the TN/OH Valley type overrunning storm scenario. The 500 mb pattern is not conducive at all to a coastal, not even got the immediate coast IMO. But like the UK and JMA show, if we can back to those earlier runs of stronger southern wave riding to our west with some gulf open to moisture we can see a system maybe dropping .4-.6 and giving us that 5 or 6" snowstorm. I believe that is the trend you want to look for rather than coastal development. Less northern clipper interaction and more pure southern wave overrunning.

I truely believe we will see an increase in regards to the GFS, NAM and EURO.... i agree with PB GFI; this looks like a 3-6 inch storm but there is always room for more...  the models should have a better handle on this tomorrow into Thursday...

I'd love to squeeze 3-6" out of this, sure it may go back NW but I doubt it. A usually amped NAM in the range is suppressed and that bothers me.

GFS and Euro really aren't any better though.

I truely believe we will see an increase in regards to the GFS, NAM and EURO.... i agree with PB GFI; this looks like a 3-6 inch storm but there is always room for more... the models should have a better handle on this tomorrow into Thursday...

Problem is...it DOES NOT look like a 3-6 inches....it looks like a 1-2 inched hopefully. Models are trending away from any moderate or even light accumulation now into a showery coating to 2 inch storm....cold air keeps it suppressed and tears the system up. We wanted cold we got it !

cold air keeps it suppressed and tears the system up. We wanted cold we got it !

Thats why i said earlier today that with cold air like this...  you need a digger to come rolling up the coast that can punch into it..  and then you normally end up with a KU..  otherwise..  it scoots out..

Thats why i said earlier today that with cold air like this...  you need a digger to come rolling up the coast that can punch into it..  and then you normally end up with a KU..  otherwise..  it scoots out..

You don't need that, you can still get a moderate snowstorm with this level of cold.  What you have now is not "epic" cold.  Its run of the mill cold, or at least it used to be.  These days it may seem epic.

Archived