joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While i do not think this is going to live up to the expectation of the 00z ECM last night..I can not believe at the same time people would throw in the towel over the 00z NAM and over the NAMs long range when the model can not be trusted till within 48 hrs and sometime 24 hrs... 

Now if the GGEM, GFS, UK and ECM go that way then it would be time to throw in the towel!

While i do not think this is going to live up to the expectation of the 00z ECM last night..I can not believe at the same time people would throw in the towel over the 00z NAM and over the NAMs long range when the model can not be trusted till within 48 hrs and sometime 24 hrs... 

Now if the GGEM, GFS, UK and ECM go that way then it would be time to throw in the towel!

Even then I would not be 100% comfortable calling it over...that setup out West that this evolves from is so ugly, this is not over til everything comes onshore, even if the rest of the models tonight show a big storm I'd still not feel good about anything til the 00Z runs tomorrow night.

UK is a crap model; basically useless these days. GFS has been a solid miss for several runs.

The euro, gfs, and gefs all look like that....

Ugh I'm pretty much done with snow threats this winter. Unless we see a real threat within 2 days, I'm not biting anymore. I know in 2009 we got it in early March but considering how these past March's have been, I'm not hopeful. We'll probably have one final ten day period of opportunity in February before it's too late but we've gotten screwed so far so I'm not betting on it. 

Ugh I'm pretty much done with snow threats this winter. Unless we see a real threat within 2 days, I'm not biting anymore. I know in 2009 we got it in early March but considering how these past March's have been, I'm not hopeful. We'll probably have one final ten day period of opportunity in February before it's too late but we've gotten screwed so far so I'm not betting on it. 

Well the MJO is going into 8 so that is great for us heading into February.

2 things at work here. The NAM produces a cut off low in CA basin 12 hrs in that wasn't seen on previous runs , it has real implications downstream. If that is right than the southern max never catches up with the northern stream and its a wrap Its a timing issue. The flat look is possible. However My second point is the NAM is bad on the west coast usually because it's on the edge of its envelope Jeez I feel like I'm running out of excuses , but all of the above is true. If by 12 z tomorrow when this is prog is the same. Than you call off the dogs. But you have to wait until these things get east of the rockies before u Tap . If tomorrow 12z this is what it says then it prob is .

The euro, gfs, and gefs all look like that....

ECM was printing about .10 out for the area.. NAM is printing out?? Not the same

Further into the PHL area ECM was printing out about 1-3 inches.. NAM not the same...

GFS has also been printing out QPF albeit light amounts ...but again NOT the same...

It seems that Neutral ENSOs have MASSIVE negative implications on the computer models.

Neutral ENSOs are bad because you tend to be drier IMO...neutrals after a Nina or even 2-3 Ninas even worse, its been years since you've had that active southern branch...93-94 was so active largely because we still had the remaining effects of 3-4 years of El Nino conditions impacting the STJ...also may be why 10-11 was so active...the lingering effects of the El Nino

Neutral ENSOs are bad because you tend to be drier IMO...neutrals after a Nina or even 2-3 Ninas even worse, its been years since you've had that active southern branch...93-94 was so active largely because we still had the remaining effects of 3-4 years of El Nino conditions impacting the STJ...also may be why 10-11 was so active...the lingering effects of the El Nino

Interesting. So why are we expecting this event to be moderate?

Archived