• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

bufkit is 0.9 for NYC...would probably be a solid 8-12 maybe 10-14 if we can get in on some higher ratios in the beginning and as the storm moves away, as we warm close to 32 at the height (although still probably 29-30).

Nice , what does it show for kmmu

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.  the 0z Euro is almost 1 inch qpf central NJ coast out accross Long Island . NO TEMPS ISSUES . 850s start minus 12 - end up minus 5 .

surface temps start in low 20`s get inot upper 20`s , except of far east end LI

You are looking 12 - to 15 to 1 ratios if that map verified .

day 4 , please  relax , best map so far .

How many times does the GFS prog your bigest snowstorms off to your south and east - 4 days out ?

The answer ... almost every time .

MOST RECENTLY ... Back in DEC and I remember because I was skiing in HUNTER  i was arguing with pp on this board  the 29 ths storm was coming  3days before the GFS had  shunted it ,  now that low didnt close, the coast rained  - but it spit out .50 qpf  and .75 east and some parts of CT got a ft of snow and the GFS  Missed it  .. this time , its COLDER , and that cold air is not moving so no one is goin to rain .

Not every solution is a goldilocks one . This doesnt go to the lakes , could it be suppressed ? sure  , but the

Euro is handing some of you a  snowstorm and you are looking to the GFS which runs these systems off way too fast .

Nothing is a lock , but watch the Euro if the it bends then worry , but not the GFS this is a well documented model weakness .

How many times does the GFS prog your bigest snowstorms off to your south and east - 4 days out ?

The answer ... almost every time .

MOST RECENTLY ... Back in DEC and I remember because I was skiing in HUNTER  i was arguing with pp on this board  the 29 ths storm was coming  3days before the GFS had  shunted it ,  now that low didnt close, the coast rained  - but it spit out .50 qpf  and .75 east and some parts of CT got a ft of snow and the GFS  Missed it  .. this time , its COLDER , and that cold air is not moving so no one is goin to rain .

Not every solution is a goldilocks one . This doesnt go to the lakes , could it be suppressed ? sure  , but the

Euro is handing some of you a  snowstorm and you are looking to the GFS which runs these systems off way too fast .

Nothing is a lock , but watch the Euro if the it bends then worry , but not the GFS this is a well documented model weakness .

Well said. This happens with a lot of storms.

HPC threw the 0z GFS out. Will most likely do the same with the 6z run. The GGEM ensemble mean is just like the operational model.

Crazy differences in wording....Upton says moderate snowstorm possible while Taunton says blockbuster storm possible. I never knew that 6-12" is considered "moderate" for our area. It should be worded as "significant."

The main reason at this point is that the models still haven't settled down yet on a single solution. The Euro has been

shifting run to run while all the other guidance is more of a northern development before the secondary pops. It's 

a very low probability forecast at this point trying to guess amounts.

EURO cuts a fine line for its 32 deg.  surface marker---right through Brooklyn---during heaviest QPF period.    At any rate this snow will be gone by 1/29-30 as EURO pumps up heights and 850's at this time and 32 deg. line  responds by vanishing  from anywhere in NYS for about 12 hours.    More fun to be had early Feb.

Putting the models aside.. what worries me is the arctic air. Cold and dry or warm and wet is one of my sayings. Usually the only times we get snow when its this cold is a miller a that barrels up the coast , then its showtime and I see a 12-18 forecast.

Well, then you can hope for a snowstorm once every few years. Miller A's are rare.

Most storms here are WAA or Miller B.

Archived