• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lakes/OV Subforum Winter: You know it's bad when.....

buckeye

1. Columbus is the snow epicenter of the subforum.

2. Richmond VA is about to receive 800% more snow than Chicago's seasonal total and it's mid January.

3. Neither the 384 hr GFS or JB are capable of slapping together a fantasy storm, (and again, it's mid January)

Feel free to add....  afterall, if you can't beat it, look it in the eyes, laugh at it and tell it to F.O. :P

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much snow has Muskegon seen this winter so far?

I've been up that way in mid winter before and the snow looked truly epic.

8 inches. All of which have come in one inch or less events that have mostly melted the same day. It has truly been a miserable winter. We should have about 50 inches by this point in the winter.

What years were you up here? The past couple winters have been pathetic, leaving many around here baffled, as it is usually pretty snowy here.

8 inches. All of which have come in one inch or less events that have mostly melted the same day. It has truly been a miserable winter. We should have about 50 inches by this point in the winter.

What years were you up here? The past couple winters have been pathetic, leaving many around here baffled, as it is usually pretty snowy here.

Late 90's early 2000's. A buddy of mine had a brother who lived in the area and we would make weekend trips to see him and enjoy the snow, because normally Columbus was bare.

Blizzard warnings have nothing to do with accumulation, it is 1/4SM and winds of 35mph or more for 3 hours or more.

I don't think areas near I-39 in IL reached conditions like that during 12/20/12.

It was an overall fail. Winter Storm warnings were not needed for that event in NE IL.

Here's a better one...

You know it's bad when you see a Robin in early to mid January!

Saw one last weekend in town.

I don't think areas near I-39 in IL reached conditions like that during 12/20/12.

It was an overall fail. Winter Storm warnings were not needed for that event in NE IL.

Here's a better one...

You know it's bad when you see a Robin in early to mid January!

Saw one last weekend in town.

We missed blizzard conditions by a long shot. Over toward cycloneville got the blizzard conditions, as did further south in IL.

Blizzard warnings have nothing to do with accumulation, it is 1/4SM and winds of 35mph or more for 3 hours or more.

Unless of course the warning text explicitly states 8-12" of accumulation to go along with said winds and visibilities. Otherwise offices would have to issue blizzard and winter storm warnings for the same county at the same time.

Unless of course the warning text explicitly states 8-12" of accumulation to go along with said winds and visibilities. Otherwise offices would have to issue blizzard and winter storm warnings for the same county at the same time.

The warning Geos is referencing had 6-9" wording for mby, and I needed with .6". So I agree with Geos, and call it a fairly epic bust

The warning Geos is referencing had 6-9" wording for mby, and I needed with .6". So I agree with Geos, and call it a fairly epic bust

I was under a blizzard warning for 8-12" on december 26. It was the most gentle falling snow I'd seen in years with ~10 mph winds. Total snow was 6". Significant bust in my book.

Yeah I was mostly referencing the official blizzard criteria, most WFOs will put in snow accumulations in the Blizzard warning.

Archived