• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lakes/OV Subforum Winter: You know it's bad when.....

buckeye

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Columbus is the snow epicenter of the subforum.

2. Richmond VA is about to receive 800% more snow than Chicago's seasonal total and it's mid January.

3. Neither the 384 hr GFS or JB are capable of slapping together a fantasy storm, (and again, it's mid January)

Feel free to add....  afterall, if you can't beat it, look it in the eyes, laugh at it and tell it to F.O. :P

...people are getting excited about how low dew points are going to get next week

~When the bipolar posters decide nothing makes them happy and they ditch their every-6-hours mood swings and just go straight negative

~When the same people who didnt appreciate near-record snow or deep snowpack 2 years ago would probably sacrifice an animal for some snowcover now

~When some get so dillusional they start to think its worse than last year in their backyard when its not close (NE IL/SE WI, SW MI do not apply)

~When statements like "ill take a rainstorm at least its action" "I dont care for snowcover" and "nickel & dime snowfall is useless" all could fail a lie detector test in the same week

~When you can't stand having bare ground but dont b*tch as much as you want to SCREAM....because all your weather friends already do enough b*tching for you and all your real-life friends are happy the ground is bare

~When you leave work and are happy to see the dirty snowpiles in the parking lot still there

~When a sub-complaint thread (ie this one) has to compete with the actual complaint thread

~When the bipolar posters decide nothing makes them happy and they ditch their every-6-hours mood swings and just go straight negative

~When the same people who didnt appreciate near-record snow or deep snowpack 2 years ago would probably sacrifice an animal for some snowcover now

~When some get so dillusional they start to think its worse than last year in their backyard when its not close (NE IL/SE WI, SW MI do not apply)

~When statements like "ill take a rainstorm at least its action" "I dont care for snowcover" and "nickel & dime snowfall is useless" all could fail a lie detector test in the same week

~When you can't stand having bare ground but dont b*tch as much as you want to SCREAM....because all your weather friends already do enough b*tching for you and all your real-life friends are happy the ground is bare

~When you leave work and are happy to see the dirty snowpiles in the parking lot still there

~When a sub-complaint thread (ie this one) has to compete with the actual complaint thread

Why do you let it bother you so much? You knew when you were going to this thread what to expect. As Buckeye mentioned earlier, this was a thread to vent in a somewhat amusing manner...which is actually healthy and therapeutic in letting out frustration. Don't take it so seriously. Also, people are allowed to express themselves, and shouldn't be shamed for doing so on a thread created for it.

Why don't you start a thread with a positive slant to it?

Why do you let it bother you so much? You knew when you were going to this thread what to expect. As Buckeye mentioned earlier, this was a thread to vent in a somewhat amusing manner...which is actually healthy and therapeutic in letting out frustration. Don't take it so seriously. Also, people are allowed to express themselves, and shouldn't be shamed for doing so on a thread created for it.

Why don't you start a thread with a positive slant to it?

Umm I am venting and expressing myself. Every single point I made in my post is a frustration of mine. Funny that its ok to call some "positive pollies" but get on the "negative nellies" and here comes the fire. I love how there is a "complaint part I", "complaint part II", AND "you know its bad when..." thread and only certain types of negative/complaint posts are allowed IN those threads :lol:

I have seen this region get hit by record snow and the complaints still outnumber the happy-peppys. The nellies are happy the day of a snowstorm and then the next day a new complaint has already started, the pollies just try to enjoy winter. I primarily enjoy the discussion threads and would be fine leaving it at that, but when I see all these different threads pop up in my subforum, yeah, Im going to read them. So no, I will not be starting a positive thread. Maybe a thread on ones favorite snowstorms or whatever would be cool, but people dont seem that interested in the past here. So unless Im starting a climo-type post with data, I just stick to letting others start threads.

Umm I am venting and expressing myself. Every single point I made in my post is a frustration of mine. Funny that its ok to call some "positive pollies" but get on the "negative nellies" and here comes the fire. I love how there is a "complaint part I", "complaint part II", AND "you know its bad when..." thread and only certain types of negative/complaint posts are allowed IN those threads :lol:

I have seen this region get hit by record snow and the complaints still outnumber the happy-peppys. The nellies are happy the day of a snowstorm and then the next day a new complaint has already started, the pollies just try to enjoy winter. I primarily enjoy the discussion threads and would be fine leaving it at that, but when I see all these different threads pop up in my subforum, yeah, Im going to read them. So no, I will not be starting a positive thread. Maybe a thread on ones favorite snowstorms or whatever would be cool, but people dont seem that interested in the past here. So unless Im starting a climo-type post with data, I just stick to letting others start threads.

I didn't type it to get attitude from you. It is cool for you to express yourself, but your rant was pretty much attacking those who posted on the thread already. Plus, your cursing seemed pretty evident you're upset. It is cool that you're a "positive Polly"...but no need to be so angry with "negative nellies". It has truly been a frustrating winter, so it's no surprise we are complaining, even though there is nothing anybody can do to change it.

When western New York has had one lake effect snow event nearing the of January. Usually we have had 6-8 by now and the lake should be freezing soon.... I don't think one event has ever been recorded by this time in January!!! :/

I have always wondered....is there ANY way the NWS offices in the snowbelts to keep tabs on lake events? I mean obviously you can go back 10 years or so and look at events that were documented on local nws websites, but what about 20, 50, or 80 years ago? Snow is snow, so Im assuming figuring out what was synoptic and what was lake effect is a guess?

I can usually tell what is lake effect here by using ratios and stuff and knowing our les is usually 2" or less (usually under an inch) but i dont know how they do it in the snowbelt.

I didn't type it to get attitude from you. It is cool for you to express yourself, but your rant was pretty much attacking those who posted on the thread already. Plus, your cursing seemed pretty evident you're upset. It is cool that you're a "positive Polly"...but no need to be so angry with "negative nellies". It has truly been a frustrating winter, so it's no surprise we are complaining, even though there is nothing anybody can do to change it.

The only attitude I detected from the recent posts was from your side of things. :o

Oh, to keep it OT: When people post on facebook about Global Warming and the fact that we're 'losing winter' because we've had 2 crappy ones in a row. Seems they forgot about all the good winters we've had lately.

The only attitude I detected from the recent posts was from your side of things. :o

Oh, to keep it OT: When people post on facebook about Global Warming and the fact that we're 'losing winter' because we've had 2 crappy ones in a row. Seems they forgot about all the good winters we've had lately.

What a surprise....that is because you only reply to me when you have an issue. If you are going to troll me, send me a PM

Feel free to point out the attitude I had with him. Otherwise, feel free to leave me alone. Thanks.

The posters who have contributed to this thread in the humorous way it was intended are not being trolls or negative nellies or whiners...they are the ones with the proper perspective about these things beyond our control.

The posters who find this thread annoying or frustrating or stupid are the ones who might need to take a deep breath and step back. They are the ones with the real problem accepting this lackluster winter.

The posters who have contributed to this thread in the humorous way it was intended are not being trolls or negative nellies or whiners...they are the ones with the proper perspective about these things beyond our control.

The posters who find this thread annoying or frustrating or stupid are the ones who might need to take a deep breath and step back. They are the ones with the real problem accepting this lackluster winter.

Exactly. Thanks for the head's up, buckeye!

Lucky! We haven't had one event. How much did you get with the one?

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/lakeffect/lake1213/a/stormsuma.html

7 inches in Southeast Metro Buffalo...That's it for the year! ^_^

We cashed in on 10-15 inches during that one Synoptic snowstorm however. Totals around my house are around 30 inches for the year, KBuf is currently at 23 inches on the year which is 28 inches below normal for the year. Still better than last years 35 inch total for the year!

I have always wondered....is there ANY way the NWS offices in the snowbelts to keep tabs on lake events? I mean obviously you can go back 10 years or so and look at events that were documented on local nws websites, but what about 20, 50, or 80 years ago? Snow is snow, so Im assuming figuring out what was synoptic and what was lake effect is a guess?

I can usually tell what is lake effect here by using ratios and stuff and knowing our les is usually 2" or less (usually under an inch) but i dont know how they do it in the snowbelt.

Buffalo NWS has been keeping track of LES events since the 98-99 season and they look to continue this for the forseeable future. They also keep track of Lake Erie Ice Coverage. Here is the link for that.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/lakepage.php

They do not keep track of synoptic snowstorms that I know of. But they definitely know how to differentiate synoptic vs LES with that link. Sometimes they call it a "LES" event if it is lake enhanced event as well. There was a poster on the Upstate New York forums that actually went through the time to list every single LES event for like 100 years with all information that was available to him. I will try to search that link for you, its somewhere in these forums. But it was quite an amazing thread.

In other news this forum is quite a bit more active then Upstate New York (which is nearly always DEAD)....which is ridiculous because we receive more snow then the majority of people in the entire Northeast! Since Buffalo is considered part of the Great Lakes I will be posting a little bit more in here. (Mostly Lurking) But I hope that is okay with everyone! ^_^

We picked up 2 inches of snow with that shortwave that went through and was enhanced a little bit from the lakes....Nice little surprise tonight.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/lakeffect/lake1213/a/stormsuma.html

7 inches in Southeast Metro Buffalo...That's it for the year! ^_^

We cashed in on 10-15 inches during that one Synoptic snowstorm however. Totals around my house are around 30 inches for the year, KBuf is currently at 23 inches on the year which is 28 inches below normal for the year. Still better than last years 35 inch total for the year!

Whoa! Even with that, you are well ahead of many on the board. What is your snow depth?

You know it's been bad when...... my friends say (mind you, I live in a snow belt) "hey look! It is snowing!" in January and I look outside to see 10 flakes per minute..... :P

Whoa! Even with that, you are well ahead of many on the board. What is your snow depth?

You know it's been bad when...... my friends say (mind you, I live in a snow belt) "hey look! It is snowing!" in January and I look outside to see 10 flakes per minute..... :P

1.5-2 inches which just fell tonight. We lost everything during the thaw, we reached 68 degrees on Sunday Morning. I don't technically live in the "Snow Belt" but KBuf averages around 100 inches of snow per year and being 15 miles south of there I'd say we average around 105-120 inches per year which isn't to shabby. But if the Lake doesn't cooperate were pretty screwed.

Archived