• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

10" on the nose here so far with light snow still falling.  Not expecting more than another inch today but no worries, it looks absulutely wonderful out there.

I was watching those incredible bands on the radar last night from CT up through MA and into southern NH & ME.  Now to go cruise the SNE threads and get a sense of the utter epicness....  Wow.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10" on the nose here so far with light snow still falling.  Not expecting more than another inch today but no worries, it looks absulutely wonderful out there.

I was watching those incredible bands on the radar last night from CT up through MA and into southern NH & ME.  Now to go cruise the SNE threads and get a sense of the utter epicness....  Wow.

Your 10" certainly confirms what I figured was going to happen and we did get some shadowing just under 6" here.  I am just happy it is white again out there though :).  

Your 10" certainly confirms what I figured was going to happen and we did get some shadowing just under 6" here.  I am just happy it is white again out there though :).  

I'll bet they did pretty well up on 25A over Mt Cube--always a snowy spot.  Around Smarts is a sneaky snowy area too, especially out by Reservoir & Cummnings Ponds, past Lyme Ctr..

How'd our ME and NH friends do?

Not much of a peep out of those guys... though I assume they are in the SNE blizzard thread.

16"

21" is my biggest snowfall ever (2/5/01) so 16" is pretty good. 

This will be the first real test for my two year old snowblower so I'm excited... hopefully the wind calms down soon.

How'd our ME and NH friends do?

Not much of a peep out of those guys... though I assume they are in the SNE blizzard thread.

These types of storms bring out the wacky differing town to town snow totals. My depth is close to Scott's...generally 16-17". The snow began about 4-5am yesterday morning and it has snowed since although we are now down to flurries. I measured and cleared the board area at 12p, 6p, 12a, and then measured late this morning. The summation of those totals was about 19.5" with 8.5" before midnight and 11" afterwards. The deformation band moved over us around 1am and lingered until about 3-4am. During that time rates were 2-3"/hr and winds were a bit lighter than earlier so it did a better job at accumulating fluffier without significant snow transport from the wind. 19.5" from a depth of 16-17" seems reasonable to me.

There's a report of 13" from a Tilton-Northfield observer, but if It is who I think it is, he has some elevation over the surrounding area and probably had issues with BLSN blowing all of his snow off of the top of the hill.

So many things factor into snow reports from these blizzard events. Some are meteorological, some are geographical, some are procedural, some are accidental human error, and others are weenies weenieing. Those exposed on top of a hill with good wind who measure the depth at the end are going to report much less than the guy a couple of miles away, measuring every 6hrs, with a yard totally sheltered from the wind by tall trees surrounding the property. In hindsight, I wish I put a dual concentric snow fence up to measure in the middle of...maybe next year.

Can anyone confirm or deny the 15 inches in Thetford Center?  A friend of mine said he got 4-6 inches in North Thetford.  THat would be some insane banding if that is true.

Here in West Leb...10 inches. 

I saw that and wondered myself.  Can not confirm but I drive through Thetford Ctr five days a week.  I'll have a look Monday morning.  ;)

North Thetford is right on the river and in shadow-land where Thetford Ctr is on the otherside of Thetford Hill, "inland" a few miles.  They do get more on that side of the hill than do the villages right on the river (North Thet, East Thet) but that seems like quite a difference over just a few miles.  All that being said, Thetford Ctr isn't a particularly snowy spot unless the reporter lives up on one of the hills above the village.

Hard tellin', now knowin'.

10.5" total here.  Had another 1/2" after my post this morning.  Sun's been in & out and it's windy as all hell.

The storm finished up here with that final tenth of an inch for 12.6” snow (same as j24vt) and 0.68” L.E.

I really think that BTV NWS storm total map is interesting with the various pockets of high and low numbers - some spots came in really low down near Rutland:

09FEB13B.jpg

Bolton Valley reported 14” for their storm accumulation on the top end, and I generally found 10-12” of powder down in the 1,500’ – 2,000’ elevation range.  It certainly wasn’t anything epic by NVT standards, but there was plenty of white goodness to be had:

09FEB13A.jpg

I’ve added the north to south listing of the storm totals I’ve seen from the Vermont ski areas; it was really quite a consistent performance up and down the spine for the entire length of the state, with 1 to 1 ½ feet:

Jay Peak: 14”

Burke: 12”

Smuggler’s Notch: 18”

Stowe: 14”

Bolton Valley: 14”

Mad River Glen: 12”

Sugarbush: 14”

Middlebury: 12”

Pico: 14”

Killington: 14”

Okemo: 12”

Bromley: 12”

Magic Mountain: 15”

Stratton: 11”

Mount Snow: 17”

I stopped in at Weather.com and they’ve got a fantastic collection of professional photos related to Nemo; those guys definitely know how to take some captivating photos:

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-nemo-20130206

12" or so for me.   I'm sick so really didn't go out and measure in many places with all the drifting on the hill.  The deformation band got so close to my south and east but seemed never to get closer than 5-10 miles.  Nice storm, wind was not very strong, had moderate snow but never heavy.  Glad WeatherMA that goes to PSU decided to head south to Worcester!

Fun day of skiing although i enjoyed yesterday more.

Im liking the forecast for this upcoming week. Sleet mixed precip is good for the base which is sorely needed on the natural snow trails and woods. There was nice powder there today but some cement would be helpful. And then some uplsope. Could set up well for holiday weekend.

Im liking the forecast for this upcoming week. Sleet mixed precip is good for the base which is sorely needed on the natural snow trails and woods. There was nice powder there today but some cement would be helpful. And then some uplsope. Could set up well for holiday weekend.

I agree.  This snow has no body, you get to the bottom very quickly.  Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to have it and my back is pretty happy that it is not that difficult to shovel!

12" or so for me.   I'm sick so really didn't go out and measure in many places with all the drifting on the hill.  The deformation band got so close to my south and east but seemed never to get closer than 5-10 miles.  Nice storm, wind was not very strong, had moderate snow but never heavy.  Glad WeatherMA that goes to PSU decided to head south to Worcester!

Me too! :)

Looks like 00z gfs gives us 2-4" or so on Monday.

edit: Oh and btw I'm sick too :( (probably partly due to late nights hw/blizzard tracking combo all week with hardly any sleep)

2-5" Monday to add to snowpack. Nice. We have some catching up to do. Haha

It’s nice to hear some talk about the next event, it seemed like it was getting short shrift due to the Nemo storm.  I totally agree that the slopes could use another good dose of liquid equivalent – this storm delivered some decent powder but some slopes are still recovering from that latest January warm spell.

BTV sounding optimistic for the next 48 hours, especially mountains with upslope following...

.SHORT TERM /MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
AS OF 350 AM EST SUNDAY...TRICKY MORNING COMMUTE LIKELY ACRS THE NORTH
COUNTRY ON MONDAY MORNING...AS TIMING OF MIXED PRECIP WL COINCIDE
WITH THE MORNING RUSH. INITIALLY THERMAL PROFILES ARE VERY DRY AND
WARM WITH TEMPS IN A LAYER BTWN 2000 FEET AND 5000 FEET RANGING
FROM 0C TO +4C. THIS QUICKLY COOLS TO NEAR 0C AND IS NEARLY
ISOTHERM AS THE PRECIP ARRIVES...SUPPORTING MOSTLY SNOW
INITIALLY...BUT CHANGING TO SLEET...THEN RAIN BEFORE ENDING. WITH
STRONG SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST WINDS BTWN 40 AND 60 KNOTS...EXPECT
SHADOWING TO OCCUR ACRS THE CPV AND LIMIT QPF. IN ADDITION...GUSTY
SFC WINDS BTWN 30 AND 35 KNTS WL OCCUR ACRS THE CPV AND EXPOSED
MID SLOPE ELEVATIONS. MEANWHILE...ACRS EASTERN/CENTRAL VT THE
COLDER AIR WL REMAIN LOCKED IN PLACE ACRS THE DEEPER
VALLEYS...RESULTING IN SNOW CHANGING TO FREEZING RAIN/SLEET...WITH
SOME LIGHT ICE ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE. THINKING WINTER WX ADVISORY
MAYBE NEEDED BY THE DAYSHIFT FOR EASTERN/CENTRAL VT AND PARTS OF
THE DACKS/NORTHERN SLV. AT MSS...LOCAL BTV 4KM SHOWS NE WINDS IN
PLACE AS HEAVIEST QPF ARRIVES...SUGGESTING COOL BL TEMPS AND
POTENTIAL FOR A PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN...WITH LIGHT ICE
ACCUMULATION. AS TEMPS WARM ENOUGH TO SUPPORT MOSTLY RAIN...THE
BEST DYNAMICS WL BE LIFTING NORTHEAST OF OUR CWA...SO NOT
ANTICIPATING MUCH RAIN. SNOWFALL WL RANGE FROM A DUSTING TO 2
INCHES MOSTLY LOCATIONS...WHICH IS TYPICAL WHEN SFC LOW PRES
TRACKS TO OUR WEST. QPF WL RANGE BTWN 0.10 CPV TO 0.30 DACKS/GREEN
MTNS. HIGHS WL RANGE FROM U20S NEK/VSF TO M30S CENTRAL VT TO UPPER
30S/LOWER 40S CPV AND PARTS OF THE SLV NEAR POTSDAM. NOT
ANTICIPATING ANY HYDRO ISSUES AS WARM UP IS BRIEF AND OVERALL QPF
IS LIMITED.

MONDAY NIGHT-TUESDAY...POTENT CLOSED 5H CIRCULATION AND ASSOCIATED
VORTICITY CROSSES ACRS OUR FA...WHICH IS TRENDING CLOSER IN THE
LATEST RUNS. THIS ULVL DYNAMICS AND SFC CONVERGENCE PROVIDED BY A
COLD FRNT WL RESULT IN SNOW SHOWERS...ESPECIALLY FOR THE
DACKS/NORTHERN GREENS. ONCE AGAIN...SOUTHWEST FLW WL LIMIT
QPF/SNOWFALL ACRS THE CPV AND KEEP TEMPS MAINLY IN THE 30S
OVERNIGHT. HOWEVER...ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL WL BE LIKELY ACRS THE
DACKS/PARTS OF THE SLV AND MOST OF THE MTNS OF NORTHERN/CENTRAL VT.
NAM SOUNDINGS SHOW GOOD RH THRU THE FAVORABLE SNOW GROWTH REGION AND
SFC TO 850MB WINDS PERPENDICULAR TO THE GREEN MTNS...SUPPORTING
ENHANCEMENT IN THE LLVL UVVS AND FAVORABLE CONDITIONS FOR UPSLOPE
SNOW SHOWERS. BOTH NAM/BTV 4KM SHOW ENHANCED QPF ACRS THE WESTERN
DACKS AND NORTHERN GREENS...SUPPORTING ADDITIONAL SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS. FAVORABLE UPSLOPE PARAMETERS CONT ON TUES...WITH GOOD
1000 TO 700MB RH PROFILES...850MB WINDS FROM THE WEST/NORTHWEST AT
25 TO 35 KNOTS...AND ASSOCIATED ENHANCED 1000 TO 700MB UVVS
SIGNATURES. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATING SNOW LOOKS VERY LIKELY ON
TUES...FOR THE WESTERN DACKS AND NORTHERN GREENS/WESTERN
SLOPES...
VERY LITTLE SNOW ELSEWHERE. ONE INGREDIENT MISSING WL BE
STRONG CAA TO HELP IN SQUEEZING OUT REMAINING MOISTURE AND INCREASE
THE FLUFF FACTOR. WL CONT TO MENTION LIKELY/CAT POPS MTNS TO CHC
VALLEYS. TEMPS WL BE IN THE 30S CPV TO M/U 20S MTNS ON TUES. GIVEN
WARMER THERMAL PROFILES...SNOW WL BE DENSER THAN RECENT
FLUFF...THINKING SNOW RATIOS AROUND 15 TO 1.

These types of storms bring out the wacky differing town to town snow totals. My depth is close to Scott's...generally 16-17". The snow began about 4-5am yesterday morning and it has snowed since although we are now down to flurries. I measured and cleared the board area at 12p, 6p, 12a, and then measured late this morning. The summation of those totals was about 19.5" with 8.5" before midnight and 11" afterwards. The deformation band moved over us around 1am and lingered until about 3-4am. During that time rates were 2-3"/hr and winds were a bit lighter than earlier so it did a better job at accumulating fluffier without significant snow transport from the wind. 19.5" from a depth of 16-17" seems reasonable to me.

There's a report of 13" from a Tilton-Northfield observer, but if It is who I think it is, he has some elevation over the surrounding area and probably had issues with BLSN blowing all of his snow off of the top of the hill.

So many things factor into snow reports from these blizzard events. Some are meteorological, some are geographical, some are procedural, some are accidental human error, and others are weenies weenieing. Those exposed on top of a hill with good wind who measure the depth at the end are going to report much less than the guy a couple of miles away, measuring every 6hrs, with a yard totally sheltered from the wind by tall trees surrounding the property. In hindsight, I wish I put a dual concentric snow fence up to measure in the middle of...maybe next year.

Looks like the Tilton observer had 15.0" total with a 15" depth this morning so he/she must be reporting the depth as new snow. That matches up well with my 15-17" depth. Interestingly, they must melt down cores for w.e. based on their numbers. Their total was 15.0" new with 1.84" liquid...similar crappy ratios that I had due to wind.

Archived