• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

Absolutely dumping this morning.  Perfect upslope quality flakes.

Nice, the white wall of snowfall along part of the Northern and Central Greens is visible from here in Burlington.  I can see on our web can that it’s snowing down at the house, but having a hard time accumulating with the valley temperatures – big flakes land and melt on the slushy surface of the deck:

http://dropc.am/p/S6gZwT

I grabbed the latest ~24 hr snow accumulations reported by the Vermont ski areas, and the north to south listing is below.  It certainly seems to be a Northern Greens focus for the event, although Mount Snow is coming in with a couple of inches:

Jay Peak: 3”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 1”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 1”

Mad River Glen: 1”

Sugarbush: 0”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 2”

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... I can't believe other ski areas aren't reporting more so far. I'm up to 6" at 3,000ft and 2.7" at 1,550ft. Looks like all east side of the Spine in this area. Heard its been snowing pretty hard in Stowe Village, too. We had a couple hours of 1"/hr snowfall (if not heavier in bursts). I've got some great powder shots from this morning I'll have to upload later. Dense, wet snow in the lower elevations... there's some hefty QPF in this stuff which is great for the base.

Can you say localized snow?  lol

Absolutely dumping this morning.  Perfect upslope quality flakes.

attachicon.gifuntitled.JPG

Wow... I can't believe other ski areas aren't reporting more so far. I'm up to 6" at 3,000ft and 2.7" at 1,550ft. Looks like all east side of the Spine in this area. Heard its been snowing pretty hard in Stowe Village, too. We had a couple hours of 1"/hr snowfall (if not heavier in bursts). I've got some great powder shots from this morning I'll have to upload later. Dense, wet snow in the lower elevations... there's some hefty QPF in this stuff which is great for the base. attachicon.gifuntitled.JPG

Can you say localized snow?  lol

attachicon.gifWUNIDS_map.gif

Nothing here along the western slopes at all... Froude Numbers all above 1 today.

Nothing here along the western slopes at all... Froude Numbers all above 1 today.

Yeah I am amazed that on the BTV web cam you can see all the way to the lower slopes of the west side of Mansfield like 10-15 miles away.

While on this side its like a winter storm in progress.

Definitely just picked up again and radar is lighting up now.

Yeah I am amazed that on the BTV web cam you can see all the way to the lower slopes of the west side of Mansfield like 10-15 miles away.

attachicon.gifimage24.jpg

While on this side its like a winter storm in progress.

attachicon.gif1.JPG

attachicon.gifcurrent.jpg

Definitely just picked up again and radar is lighting up now.

Yeah here's a webcam from Nashville (West Bolton) on the western slopes, nothin! Can't see Mansfield though.

webcam.jpg

Radar just lit up again along the Spine and east to RT 100....snowing nicely again. I'm at Topnotch on the Mountain Road and there's like 3.5" of snow here from today.

I think it keeps rolling right through the evening.  WRF has a solid .4+ falling from 7pm to 7am. Can't say I disagree.  Pretty certain Stowe will be in the 10-12 range when all is said and done.

Wow, that much?  Didn't seem like it was accumulating at all just down the hill on State St.

Yeah, that happens in upslope events sometimes where there is a noticeable difference between downtown and up here. I used to live in one of the condos up on Murray Hill and the same thing occurred from time to time. That extra 300' elevation comes into play a couple times each winter. There's also been many times over the years where it's raining downtown and snowing at my house here and the condo I lived in.

I just came back from Shaw's and I noticed there was less accumulation down in the city.

Looks like it’s at least snowing up at Bolton Valley based on the webcam there – looks kind of windy too:

http://www.boltonvalley.com/webcam

Im up here with thre wife for a few days, came down good this morning and was blowing around, cut off before noon but picked up again this afternoon, there was about 2" from this morning, havent checked what this aft brought as Ive been lounging in the hot tub.

Well that was a nice surprise snowstorm... there was some heft to this stuff.  I bet we picked up around 3/4ths of an inch liquid equiv which will certainly help the snowpack...

Well, the liquid reported by the Mt. Mansfield Coop site this evening was 0.50”, and we know that’s probably low, so it certainly jives with your thoughts.  I nearly headed to Mansfield for a couple of runs myself this afternoon after seeing all the snow that fell.  I’ve updated the north to south list of accumulations for Vermont ski areas that made PM reports – consistent with the Froude Numbers it looks like it’s Stowe and Jay Peak leading the way with Bolton and Smugg’s following up, and accumulations tailing off to very little south of the Northern Greens:

Jay Peak: 7”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 2”

Now that the temperature has dropped down here at the house the snow is starting to accumulate again; I see we’ve got a couple tenths of accumulation on the board and the intensity of the snowfall seems to be picking up with this next push of moisture visible on the radar:

12FEB13A.gif

Archived