12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Snow Event 1/15-1/16

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's really just a broad area of synoptic scale lift in the right entrance region of the jet streak over NNE interacting with the existing baroclinic zone. No strong PV anomaly/shortwave to spawn cyclogenesis and start closing off some mid level features. 

That said... where you are able to get some banding and can get a decent slug of moisture on the nose of the LLJ you could get some surprises. There seem to be some sneaky unstable layers (MAULs) out there.

a few of the GFS runs were relatively "amped" with the developing surface reflection and it does try and get its act together a bit tomorrow -there's some decent low level wind fields that develop south of New England...but not in the traditional sense of what we might think of with some shortwave ejecting out of the ohio or tennessee river valley in SWFE-fashion

The mean is really being influenced by those two (especially the one) clunker.  There's a signifiant number that are clustered above the mean.  I like to summarily toss out the +/- extreme runs and focusing on the others.  There you see a much tighter clustering.  As they are, showing .43 at AQW and .48 at ORE are good to see  I'm sure Will's happy to see the .56 at ORH.

Yup you got it. Absolutely. I think finding a "clustering" as opposed to just the raw mean is more useful. 

bubble of 1024 in Maine doing it's work... 

getting some northerly drain down eastern MA

DPs have been slowly dropping:

attachicon.gifrtma_neweng_000_2m_dwpt.gif

Box just updated snowfall map, upped significantly along coast:

attachicon.gifStormTotalSnowFcst_01_15_2012.png

I like the Box map for me, I think 1-3" seems likely here if we can get it started up as snow pretty quickly.

Yup you got it. Absolutely. I think finding a "clustering" as opposed to just the raw mean is more useful. 

I've wondered about this with the SREFs and other ensemble products... I wonder if calculating a median value would be more useful than a mean.

(But then you could argue maybe the outlier is sniffing out something that the cluster is missing)

21z Sref Plumes jumped the mean up to 6.73"  snow here  on 0.57" qpf

wow and that is with so-so ratios.  did it look similar over here?  Just home...beat the precip back here from nyc.  We lost all the snow here except for patches.  still some in the woods though.  Glad it will be covered up quickly and soon to be a distant memory.  Fingers crossed for snowmobiling out the door within 2 weeks.

Yeah a bit more bullish than 18z. Looks good. 

A tick warmer for south coast around 850mb though.

The warmer obs seems to be verifying in the NYC obs thread...not much snow so far in that area...though there is sitll time for wetbulbing.

wow and that is with so-so ratios.  did it look similar over here?  Just home...beat the precip back here from nyc.  We lost all the snow here except for patches.  still some in the woods though.  Glad it will be covered up quickly and soon to be a distant memory.  Fingers crossed for snowmobiling out the door within 2 weeks.

CON 6.33"

Any ideas as to ratios we'll be looking at,  in the interior anyway?    12:1?

Yeah I can't see much more than that unless we get some unexpected great snow growth....always possible with a bit of instability lurking in these profiles. But I'd keep it pretty conservative at the moment.

Archived