e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Snow Event 1/15-1/16

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing 0zNAM(Which keeps me below 0c until 15Z), 18z GFS, and assorted other models, Upton has issued a WWA which they usually hesitate to do for immediate south coast, combined with the fact that SW CT is way past due for a nice suprise, final call is this thing ticks south a bit and I see 1-3" IMBY tomorrow morning, BOS sees 1-3 before switch and Jackpot zone is somewhere in northern MA/ORH area with 5-7"ish. Good luck to all and to all a good night
-skisheep

As I watch this unfold, I've realized what drives the qpf-fetish.  Normally, I don't have temp issues to worry about.  So, all the discussion here about boundary levels, coastal fronts, etc., etc. leaves me with nothing to consider.  But qpf-----man, that's where it's at.  :)

2-5" for all per NAM.  Right where we started this morning.

what do you think about the NAMs 850 temps?  Got over 0c here for a while tomorrow.  A good amount of the precip is done by then but definitely doesn't jive with NWSs all snow forecast.

NAM is basically all snow with some spits of drizzle and sleet pellets after 10 a.m.

I feel bad already for Boston forecasters. I can see the complaints in their future no matter what happens. Most had 1-2" in BOS...Logan will get 2" but someone 5 miles inland will get 4" and there will be complaints. You honestly can't win in a situation like this.

I wish there were two official observing sites in the city, kind of like NYC has Central Park, JFK, and LaGuardia. Would give a much better representation of what happens in Boston not only in situations like this, but on summer days when a slight seabreeze kicks in at Logan and it's 75 there but 80+ in the city.

I wish there were two official observing sites in the city, kind of like NYC has Central Park, JFK, and LaGuardia. Would give a much better representation of what happens in Boston not only in situations like this, but on summer days when a slight seabreeze kicks in at Logan and it's 75 there but 80+ in the city.

Agree. Boston officially is at 3.8" for the year but I think Scott said just inland is like 6-8". 

Gee, why, makes perfect sense to have the official obs station in a location that regionally is the warmest in the winter and the coolest in the summer.

:axe:

Which could keep totals at the low end of the spectrum for all.

My rule is any system that has swfe charecteristics you should error on the low side of forecast totals.  Still a nice event for most though.

I think you are just fine 3-6 of snow, enjoy, you stay in the precip much longer up there.

Archived