joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern and Storm Discussion II

Cold Rain

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's starting to look like it was underplayed. Jackson was reporting freezing rain, and Vicksburg was reporting snow earlier (and now freezing rain at 31F). Memphis looks pretty rough right now as on the TDOT webcams all the bridges and overpasses are starting to ice over. There's still plenty of traffic out there but it's slowing down and dwindling.

Nashville might get some freezing rain/snow/sleet in the next few hours as this slog of moisture moves north over the cold air.

Yup...can see some icing on the bridges...roads look mostly wet...

http://ww2.tdot.state.tn.us/tsw/smartmap.htm?city=Memphis

Not sure what year but we did have a couple minor events from clippers. Maybe Larry would know?

Getting any snow from a clipper is difficult for the SE to say the least, but not unheard of. I'm not sure about N Ga but in NW NC I've seen many clippers give several inches of snow. I really depends on the strength of the vort max and its path. If you are directly underneath the system and it's strong enough, then yes, you can get accumulating snow. 

I'm new to the forums... And have enough knowledge to be a danger to myself and those around me... But I have to ask... With the models jumping around so much is there reason to be concerned that this event might be rain for the NC piedmont and SC upstate, and an Icing event for the SC and NC mountains??

It doesn't really look like ice is a major possibility with this system.  It's more than likely either going to be rain or snow due to warm sfc temps. 

I'm new to the forums... And have enough knowledge to be a danger to myself and those around me... But I have to ask... With the models jumping around so much is there reason to be concerned that this event might be rain for the NC piedmont and SC upstate, and an Icing event for the SC and NC mountains??

From everything I have seen, nothing suggests that the surface temperatures will be conducive of a significant icing event.  Also, no strong damming high pressure to funnel down the cold air.

Yes. HPC snow map posted above for that reference. Here is the ice potential.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf_24hr/prb_24hicez_ge.01_2013011500f072.gif

I say it in some confidence, but not that much no.  Nobody can say anything with full confidence.  The problem is, the snow thing is going to have to depend on who/where/when sees the heaviest QPF.  Your going to need help pulling cold air down from above.  With OUT a very strong look at 500mb, this looks very unlikely to happen. (snowfall for most/many of us)  If we kept that H5 look longer, ie closed with more vorticity, then yes, I could see more people getting snow out of this one.  Its just my opinion and I really can't see many getting snow in this setup *as of now*

Getting any snow from a clipper is difficult for the SE to say the least, but not unheard of. I'm not sure about N Ga but in NW NC I've seen many clippers give several inches of snow. I really depends on the strength of the vort max and its path. If you are directly underneath the system and it's strong enough, then yes, you can get accumulating snow. 

East TN and the mountains can do well sometimes. I've seen clippers give us 1-3" in Knoxville.

NAM already looks further south and much stronger than 12z...who knows where it goes in the LR though.  @54 it has a three contoured low. 

Maybe it's my eyesight, but it appears the NAM has failed to show the correct placement of the cold air over the Tn valley. In other words, the cold air has worked farther east than shown on the initial maps. It might be under estimating the cold air and its seepage south and east. 

Not much out of MRX with the system later this week:

.(WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY)...THE UPPER JET AXIS WILL SHIFTEAST OF THE MRX CWA WEDNESDAY NIGHT. LAYER RELATIVE HUMIDITY WILLDROP OFF SIGNIFICANTLY. RELEASING CUT OFF LOW WEAKENS AS IT MOVESTHROUGH GA ON THURSDAY. INVERTED SURFACE TROUGH WILL EXTEND NORTH TOEXTREME SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS. PRECIPITATION CHANCES INCREASE THUESPECIALLY ACROSS SOUTHERN MRX CWA. FREEZING LEVEL DROPS THU NIGHT.PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO SNOW AS PRECIPITATION TAPERS OFF AFTERMIDNIGHT. LARGE SCALE TROUGHING BEGINS TAKING SHAPE INTO THE OH ANDTN VALLEYS INTO NEXT WEEK. A SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE WILL LINGERIN THE AREA UNTIL A COLD FRONTAL PASSAGE LATE SUNDAY/EARLY MONDAY. SON

Yeah we rarely get anything but flurries from clippers so it is rare for here. I have seen it happen before where one produced a couple inches when we had a good arctic outbreak in the 80s I believe.

Maybe it's my eyesight, but it appears the NAM has failed to show the correct placement of the cold air over the Tn valley. In other words, the cold air has worked farther east than shown on the initial maps. It might be under estimating the cold air and its seepage south and east. 

I guess that would allow that energy in Texas to be less dampened if it's underestimating the cold? 

Yeah we rarely get anything but flurries from clippers so it is rare for here. I have seen it happen before where one produced a couple inches when we had a good arctic outbreak in the 80s I believe.

I've seen a couple of good events with Clippers in the Upstate of SC. They just ride that cold, dry boundary and we squeeze a couple of very dry, powdery inches. You get good ratios because its so darn cold and it sticks in contact. Moisture is always limited though.

Yes. HPC snow map posted above for that reference. Here is the ice potential.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf_24hr/prb_24hicez_ge.01_2013011500f072.gif[/quot

Thanks everyone... With 23 years living in Saluda NC I've always listened to the old timers and paid attention to the signs... Animals panicked getting food stores and the like... Not very scientific but for the most part correct... The activity the past week or so tells me either one heck of an ice storm or cold we haven't seen in years...

Archived