joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern and Storm Discussion II

Cold Rain

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And of course, folks out west yet again have a better chance of snow than we do. Is it the southeast ridge that is making it so hard for us to get wintry precip compared to places like MS, LA, TX ?

Probability comparisons are irrelevant when comparing TX to NC. Areas west will have higher chance since the storm comes through there first with that type of map.

EPS control run which I have access to appears to be rolling now. It usually doesn't come out until around 4 - 4:15....weeklies control run is usually around 4:30

Gotcha.  Thanks for all of the play-by-play that you do.  Let the record show that the first BOOM of the year happened during yesterdays 12z Euro run.  Hopefully there are plenty more to follow!

Does the Nam have a bias of over-playing these contoured lows?

It has a bias of overplaying everything past 48 hours. Every time I've tracked one they go all over the map and you don't know where it's going until about a day before. One thing needs to be remembered especially with this. Everything has to pretty much go right. Little to no wiggle room for variance. As Matty East has pointed out a few times little changes cause major differences in outcomes. 

I can't recall ever getting any snow of any consequence from a clipper in north GA.  Maybe it's just my poor memory and someone will correct me.  I've seen clipper perform decent in TN and NC though many times.

LOL...I will be rooting for that one for sure.

We got 1.5" in 1999 from one and 1" in 2003 from another in Cherokee County.  Other than that nothing of consequence. 

Clippers suck. Correct me if I am wrong, but that snow is DRY. I have see many 1-3 inch clippers...sometimes its limited to a strip of counties. Probably more rare in Georgia if that was the original question...much more favorable in northern NC but does sometimes miss south into NWS Greenville area.

That is correct. Because of the usual NW flow GA is left out of any accumulation unless in the mountains or far NW counties usually.

Clippers suck. Correct me if I am wrong, but that snow is DRY. I have see many 1-3 inch clippers...sometimes its limited to a strip of counties. Probably more rare in Georgia if that was the original question...much more favorable in northern NC but does sometimes miss south into NWS Greenville area.

Are you not old enough to remember 1/23/03?

Euro ENS do not look warm through the period. I still have no ideas about any specific storm threats. But the SE ridge is on vacation with a general trough in Central/East and a ridge out West, although weakening in the mean over time.

The 45 day CFSv2 run is very very cold, has -12C 2m temp anomalies end of January.  It's essentially cold from Jan 21-Feb 5th and than torches, but the LR has been flip/flopping alot.

From the NWS Raleigh Afternoon Discussion (sounds about right to me):

PARTIAL THICKNESSES HOVER IN THE WINTRY MIXTURE PORTION OF THE
NOMOGRAM -- IN THE 1305/1545 METER RANGE -- A LITTLE HIGHER SOUTH
VERSUS NORTH. SINCE SURFACE WET BULB TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO
HOLD IN THE MIDDLE 30S ON AVERAGE...MAINLY A COLD RAIN...WITH A FEW
WET FLAKES OR PERIOD OF SLEET AT THE ONSET DURING THE EVENING AS THE
LOWER LEVELS COOL VIA SUBLIMATION/EVAPORATION...IS EXPECTED.
HOWEVER...THE WINTRY MIXTURE PORTION OF THE NOMOGRAM IS INDICATIVE
OF CASES WHERE BOTH DEEP (NEAR) FREEZING ISOTHERMAL PROFILES ARE
IMPORTANT (WHICH WE WILL HAVE IN THIS CASE)...AS WELL AS
PRECIPITATION RATES. THE PATTERN OF THE DEAMPLIFYING WAVE ALOFT
SUGGESTS BANDED PRECIPITATION WILL BE POSSIBLE IN THE DEFORMATION
ZONE AS IT PIVOTS EAST NORTHEASTWARD ACROSS CENTRAL NC. IF HIGHER
PRECIPITATION RATES ARE INDEED REALIZED...CLOSER TO THE...AT PRESENT
NORTHERN AND WET OUTLIER SOLUTION DEPICTED BY THE 12Z GFS...A
LIGHT ACCUMULATION ON GRASSY SURFACES WITH TEMPERATURES JUST ABOVE
FREEZING WILL BE POSSIBLE...PARTICULARLY GIVEN THE FAVORABLE
OVERNIGHT TIMING OF THIS SYSTEM.

Archived