Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 12-14 Potential Winter Weather Event

Hoosier

How does it look for West Michigan?

The 850 0C line is right on top of you for much of the time, so probably a mixture of sleet and freezing rain for most, perhaps even some rain unfortunately, turning to snow.  0.35" QPF, so moisture shouldn't be an issue.  You're probably just a tad too far east.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least at the 850mb at ORD look to stay around or below -2°C during most of the event.

GGEM would be ORD's best case scenario to get the best snow, GFS being second best at this point.

Gotta watch the column temperatures as colder air filters in tomorrow afternoon. -See how deep it gets.

The 850 0C line is right on top of you for much of the time, so probably a mixture of sleet and freezing rain for most, perhaps even some rain unfortunately, turning to snow.  0.35" QPF, so moisture shouldn't be an issue.  You're probably just a tad too far east.

Ugh, was that for Muskegon, or west Michigan as a whole? Do you happen to have a snowfall map or totals from the EURO.?

Ugh, was that for Muskegon, or west Michigan as a whole? Do you happen to have a snowfall map or totals from the EURO.?

From what I can see, surface temperatures were freezing or below. 850mb temperatures hang between 0- -2°C. Not sure if it's warmer above that level.

From what I can see, surface temperatures were freezing or below. 850mb temperatures hang between 0- -2°C. Not sure if it's warmer above that level.

Thanks, Geos. Are you looking at a paid website? I used to look at the EURO runs on weather underground, but I don't understand how the new maps work. I think our society makes things too complicated in "updating" hings all the time...

Thanks, Geos. Are you looking at a paid website? I used to look at the EURO runs on weather underground, but I don't understand how the new maps work. I think our society makes things too complicated in "updating" hings all the time...

No I'm not. Just trying to decipher the wunderground maps! Maybe someone else can see the info for Muskegon better off a paid site.

The word is overused...but I do think this is gonna be a nowcast event for Chi-town. What with the possible warm layer aloft, the time it'll take to saturate down to the surface and whether dynamic cooling will be enough for a total change over to snow in any mesoscale banding (and where those bands will set up)...

Def gonna be a nail-biter for futility's sake.

The word is overused...but I do think this is gonna be a nowcast event for Chi-town. What with the possible warm layer aloft, the time it'll take to saturate down to the surface and whether dynamic cooling will be enough for a total change over to snow in any mesoscale banding (and where those bands will set up)...

Def gonna be a nail-biter for futility's sake.

Good points.

Oh boy, looks like I'm in for a wet one. If only the precip were frozen! :flood:

We are below average for the last several months, I will gladly take this even if it is liquid. The last above average month was July, so we are running on 5 months and counting, with not much down the line after tonight.

We are below average for the last several months, I will gladly take this even if it is liquid. The last above average month was July, so we are running on 5 months and counting, with not much down the line after tonight.

Oh, me too. I typically dislike winter rain but I've been preaching since last month, I'll take any kind of precip. The last thing we need is a dry winter after a summer like we had, then we would really be screwed if next summer was dry too.

Yup, I went from being too far northwest for much to directly being too far southeast. This winter has just been one beatdiown after another. I am about 3 and 1/2 feet of snow in the whole of where I should be and the beat goes on.

Enjoy, weatherbo and Wisconsin friends. It looks like this event is yours.

Yes, but hard to get too excited over 2 or 3" of snow.

I agree, but more models are showing mixed precip for the Chicago area.  Skilling's RPM and the 0z WRF NMM are among them.  Unless the likely sleet is tallied as snow, I think it is not likely they will hit an inch.

sleet is, usually at a 3:1 ratio roughly.

Archived