Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 12-14 Potential Winter Weather Event

Hoosier

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is driving me crazy is all models develop a defo zone in E Kansas and through C Missouri, but the GFS and NAM weaken and push the system off to the east way too quickly, while the GEM, UKMET, Euro and SREFs maintain and perhaps even slightly beef up this zone.  It is happening consistently, and it is making me wonder.  Which models would you trust to handle the defo zone formation and collapse the best?

Something that has yet to be pointed out, but MKX's update did are the rather low snow:liquid ratios thanks to the warmish upper levels.  Since the ratios are determined by the dendritic growth zone in the atmosphere rather than surface temps, that's the important aspect when it comes to ratios.  Unfortunately, this will hamper accumulation even in the heart of the areas that see mostly or all snow.  MKX is suggesting 10:1 or even lower ratios.

I wouldn't have though that, because the snow isn't accumulated in the atmosphere. I figured as long as it was freezing through the column, the ratios would be determined by the ground temperatures. I don't think I've ever seen a 10:1 ratio snow in the mid 20s!

I wouldn't have though that, because the snow isn't accumulated in the atmosphere. I figured as long as it was freezing through the column, the ratios would be determined by the ground temperatures. I don't think I've ever seen a 10:1 ratio snow in the mid 20s!

You'll get riming if layers aloft are hanging around 0C.

Looks like we're in for around an inch or so.  Might not have much in the way of precip type issues here, but moisture back in the cold air looks meager.  This looks like a quick moving wave along the stalled boundary, which focuses most of the precip near that boundary.  Sure wish it could slow down and wrap up more.  This thing probably wasn't too far away from a pretty major event. 

This will end up being a nowcast event for members under the frozen precip threat. Can't wait to see what the higher resolution models show tomorrow.

I always appreciate your positivity, Geos...I am going to follow the warmest of models, as unfortunately in events we have had the past two years, whichever model is the warmest picks up on some warm layer somewhere and is usually right. I am hoping that I am pleasantly surprised though.

I always appreciate your positivity, Geos...I am going to follow the warmest of models, as unfortunately in events we have had the past two years, whichever model is the warmest picks up on some warm layer somewhere and is usually right. I am hoping that I am pleasantly surprised though.

I'm going to say you start as sleet and turn over to about 2" of snow, which is similar to what I would forecast for Milwaukee, though probably all snow here and 1.5" of accumulation as we're just a tad too far west for the more intense precip.

I'm going to say you start as sleet and turn over to about 2" of snow, which is similar to what I would forecast for Milwaukee, though probably all snow here and 1.5" of accumulation as we're just a tad too far west for the more intense precip.

I think you're right that there will be more intense precip. here, and if it falls heavy enough, can mix the warm air out of the atmosphere. I was excited after the 18Z NAM, but the 00Z has so much warm air mixed in. Hopefully it is just one of the NAM's tricks....and it could show colder again in the morning. It is encouraging to see the GFS stay pretty consistent, if not a little better.

Not a big difference in the 0z Euro, in fact, the low position at 24 hours looked almost the same as 36 hours of 12z.  Just a tad less QPF in the cold sector, especially when the deformation area develops in Missouri.  Probably around a quarter inch QPF in some areas that are mostly snow, much of Eastern Wisconsin, NW Illinois, and the Quad Cities.

GFS sounding just south of Muskegon at 33 hr.

GFS_3_2013011200_F33_43.0000N_86.5000W.p

I have seen this a few time posted on here.  Can someone give me a quick rundown on it. I am assuming it is temperature chart from ground level up into the upper atmoshere. Because the temp runs a tick above zero between 1389-2942 this would represent very wet snow or sleet. And the wind vectors on the RHS show the amount of loft in the clouds. Sorry to sound like such a noob.... Just learning

for my area

Rain, snow, and sleet likely before midnight, then snow. Low around 23. North northwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible

Not bad.  DVN's point for here is less bullish.  Might not be a bad idea given how fast this thing will blow on through here.

Saturday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 16. Northwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

I have seen this a few time posted on here.  Can someone give me a quick rundown on it. I am assuming it is temperature chart from ground level up into the upper atmoshere. Because the temp runs a tick above zero between 1389-2942 this would represent very wet snow or sleet. And the wind vectors on the RHS show the amount of loft in the clouds. Sorry to sound like such a noob.... Just learning

Yeah temps above 800mb poke a bit above 0C, which probably means at least a sleet mixture, if not all sleet at that given forecast point.  The wind barbs on the right side are just different wind speed/velocities at that given mb height. 

for my area

Rain, snow, and sleet likely before midnight, then snow. Low around 23. North northwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible

Pretty much ditto here too. Across the border it's pretty much the same story, but without the rain or freezing rain.

GGEM

PT_PN_027_0000.gif

PT_PN_030_0000.gif

Not a big difference in the 0z Euro, in fact, the low position at 24 hours looked almost the same as 36 hours of 12z.  Just a tad less QPF in the cold sector, especially when the deformation area develops in Missouri.  Probably around a quarter inch QPF in some areas that are mostly snow, much of Eastern Wisconsin, NW Illinois, and the Quad Cities.

How does it look for West Michigan?

Archived