Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 12-14 Potential Winter Weather Event

Hoosier

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if the warm layer is around or above 700 mb?  I ask this because the NAM shows the 1000-700mb 0C line right over Milwaukee as the heaviest precip is falling, but the 1000-850mb 0C line (the black one on Wxcaster) is well to our SE.

It would more than likely mean sleet. The 6z GFS looks good for all snow as it keeps the column below freezing except for a brief period at the onset of precip. The 12z Nam keeps the 850-750mb layer very close to freezing the entire time. I am kind of worried we could see more sleet than snow.

It would more than likely mean sleet. The 6z GFS looks good for all snow as it keeps the column below freezing except for a brief period at the onset of precip. The 12z Nam keeps the 850-750mb layer very close to freezing the entire time. I am kind of worried we could see more sleet than snow.

If it's very close to freezing, then I don't think it's a huge concern.  Most of the short range models I have seen have a short period of mix/sleet (probably the first hour) then changeover to all snow.

If it's very close to freezing, then I don't think it's a huge concern.  Most of the short range models I have seen have a short period of mix/sleet (probably the first hour) then changeover to all snow.

Its cutting it pretty close though, probably have to wait till the event begins to unfold to determine the precip type.

Beginning to think we may see a quick, wet 4-5" from this.

TONIGHT...ANOTHER CONVOLUTED STORY ALTOGETHER. SFC WAVE OVER TEXAS
THIS MORNING EXPECTED TO ROCKET UP THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY/EXTREME
SE LOWER MICHIGAN AREA TONIGHT...COURTESY OF STRONG RIGHT ENTRANCE
REGION JET FORCING THAT DEVELOPS OVER THE GREAT LAKES. SURE APPEARS
LIKELY THAT WE GET A NICE ROUND OF PRECIP TO SPREAD UP INTO THE
CWA AS A RESULT...MAINLY OVERNIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.
UNFORTUNATELY...THERE WILL BE ENOUGH OF A WARM NOSE ALOFT
REMAINING TO RESULT IN VARIOUS P-TYPE ISSUES WITH PRECIP RUNNING
THE GAMBIT FROM SNOW OVER THE W/NW PART OF THE CWA TRANSITIONING
TO SLEET/FREEZING RAIN TO RAIN IN THE FAR SE COUNTIES. WILL HAVE
TO SORT THROUGH THE VARIOUS PRECIP TYPE ISSUES AND ACCUMULATIONS
THIS AFTERNOON...BUT SUFFICE TO SAY SOME SORT OF HEADLINES WILL
LIKELY BE NEEDED FOR PARTS OF THE CWA.

Beginning to think we may see a quick, wet 4-5" from this.

TONIGHT...ANOTHER CONVOLUTED STORY ALTOGETHER. SFC WAVE OVER TEXAS

THIS MORNING EXPECTED TO ROCKET UP THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY/EXTREME

SE LOWER MICHIGAN AREA TONIGHT...COURTESY OF STRONG RIGHT ENTRANCE

REGION JET FORCING THAT DEVELOPS OVER THE GREAT LAKES. SURE APPEARSLIKELY THAT WE GET A NICE ROUND OF PRECIP TO SPREAD UP INTO THECWA AS A RESULT...MAINLY OVERNIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.

UNFORTUNATELY...THERE WILL BE ENOUGH OF A WARM NOSE ALOFT

REMAINING TO RESULT IN VARIOUS P-TYPE ISSUES WITH PRECIP RUNNING

THE GAMBIT FROM SNOW OVER THE W/NW PART OF THE CWA TRANSITIONING

TO SLEET/FREEZING RAIN TO RAIN IN THE FAR SE COUNTIES. WILL HAVE

TO SORT THROUGH THE VARIOUS PRECIP TYPE ISSUES AND ACCUMULATIONS

THIS AFTERNOON...BUT SUFFICE TO SAY SOME SORT OF HEADLINES WILLLIKELY BE NEEDED FOR PARTS OF THE CWA.

Good... More the better.

Do you think dynamic cooling could have an effect on precip type in this situation even if the upper level temps are around or slightly above freezing

I would think thats a possibility with the strong upward vertical motion and heavy precip rates but I am also worried about the warming  effects due to condensation.

MKX calling for 1.7" of snow in Madison and 2.5" in Milwaukee tonight. They're probably expecting high ratios with these cold temps, about optimal for snow growth especially considering the gradual warming with altitude in the lower atmosphere. I initially thought this would be all powder but we could see some nice dendrites since things stay almost balmy at 850 (-3 to -5 C).

It's also possible that dry air will ruin totals and I'll get half an inch of powder. We shall see.

SnowMap_WI.png

Wow, the 12Z NAM shows a lot sleet for Milwaukee, Chicago, and Muskegon! Hopefully, the precip. will fall heavier and we can mix the warm air out to get snow.

Actually it doesn't from here on north. There is some, but not alot.

One of the NAM :weenie:  map shows 3-5" for Chicagoland and about about the same for you!

Already down to 40° here. Cooling off faster than forecast.

Confidence growing for 2" or more.

prb_24hsnow_ge02_2013011212f024.gif

Dang, the Euro just flipped back to a weaker and farther east track.  12z run says just a bit of light snow or flurries nw of Burlington to Rockford.

Haha...so the NAM and GFS catch up to it and it goes the other direction? The models are like siblings...they never want to completely agree.

This gives me a little more hope for snow tonight.

Actually it doesn't from here on north. There is some, but not alot.

One of the NAM :weenie:  map shows 3-5" for Chicagoland and about about the same for you!

Already down to 40° here. Cooling off faster than forecast.

Confidence growing for 2" or more.

prb_24hsnow_ge02_2013011212f024.gif

I like the sounds of that! You are looking good for snow! :)

hopefully the euro is not a sign of things to come for my football evening..  There is only one guarantee tonight and that is I'll be ****faced come 8:30.   Did seem we cooled down faster this am and that had me worried of some east and weaker solutions but the GFS and NAM looked ok. w/e not going to let the weather effect me today.

hopefully the euro is not a sign of things to come for my football evening..  There is only one guarantee tonight and that is I'll be ****faced come 8:30.   Did seem we cooled down faster this am and that had me worried of some east and weaker solutions but the GFS and NAM looked ok. w/e not going to let the weather effect me today.

Only thing you will have to worry about is whether  or not we will be playing in Lambeau next Sunday.  :)

Euro shows basically nothing for us in S WI...

Archived