• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SPC Lead Forecaster Jon Racy passes after losing battle with cancer

This is really sad news. :( He was a member of the old Eastern WX forums and we (the severe wx regulars) had some great discussions with him on the forums. He was a very intelligent guy, and was always willing to engage even with the newbs like me. I will always cherish and appreciate the moments I had to interact with him and learn from him.

It is truly a loss for the weather community that his life could be cut short so soon.

RIP, Jon Racy. You will be missed.

Incredibly sad. Way too young. I never met him, but you almost feel like you know these guys from reading their discussions. At North Platte I was on shift during multiple conference calls he led during severe events. He always struck me as being incredibly polite, well spoken, and mild mannered. Of course he was a severe weather genius as well.

Though I don't remember him, several of my colleagues went to Penn State with him.  One of our leads was his roommate there and they graduated together.

Sounded like a great guy.  And agreed, cancer is terrible.  :cry:

--Turtle

Terribly too early to go, condolences to his family and the SPC, he was a great forecaster and just all around severe guru.

I'll always remember when he started the 01z convective outlook for 4/27 with this:

...A HISTORICAL AND DANGEROUS OUTBREAK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORM ANDTORNADOES CONTINUES ACROSS PARTS OF THE TN VALLEY AND SRN STATES...

Archived