SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
17 years ago

SACRUS

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the greats, but so was Boxing Day........

Boxing Day was special for me because of the days and days of tracking beforehand and of course all of the drama with the models and the way they brought it back two days before. The winds were also historic, but I got twice as much snow in 96 than I did with Boxing Day. The best deform banding setup just to my east.

the king of I95 snowstorms....in the gold ol' times, where us weenies did not live and die by each runs.

Very true. I remember we mostly had to just keep our eyes glued to the Weather Channel and local news to get weather updates. I recall TWC in the early afternoon of Saturday, Jan 6th going gung ho for NYC...they had previously only been fringing NYC. They still whiffed most of SNE (except the extreme south coast) and the local news also whiffed most of SNE during their lunchtime newscast that Saturday.

I gather it was the 12z runs that Saturday that really started to shift the storm's northern extent. I'll never forget watching the 11pm news that night, and one of the Boston mets came on air and said the storm wouldn't miss us and we would be getting a full blown blizzard. I'll never forget the excitement...esp being a 14 year old snow weenie at the time and just beginning to learn about the computer models.

We finished with about 15" here, so obviously not the jackpot...but given we were forecasted to get nothing less than 48h out, I was ecstatic. Parts of SE MA though had 24-30". The northern cutoff to that storm was so extreme...I recall in Columbia county NY that the southern edge of the county had over 20" while the northern side had 1". There was a mesoband there in the SE part of the county close to SW MA where Great Barrington is...just sat there for hours at the peak pivot of the storm and gave them 2 feet.

Was in Brooklyn in 1996 , we had 24 inches of snow  and the narrow streets made the snow piles appear so high after all the shoveling and plowing .

But I was in Colts Neck for the Boxing Day storm and we easily had 30 .They didnt plow us for 3 days , equally insane .

Very true. I remember we mostly had to just keep our eyes glued to the Weather Channel and local news to get weather updates. I recall TWC in the early afternoon of Saturday, Jan 6th going gung ho for NYC...they had previously only been fringing NYC. They still whiffed most of SNE (except the extreme south coast) and the local news also whiffed most of SNE during their lunchtime newscast that Saturday.

I gather it was the 12z runs that Saturday that really started to shift the storm's northern extent. I'll never forget watching the 11pm news that night, and one of the Boston mets came on air and said the storm wouldn't miss us and we would be getting a full blown blizzard. I'll never forget the excitement...esp being a 14 year old snow weenie at the time and just beginning to learn about the computer models.

We finished with about 15" here, so obviously not the jackpot...but given we were forecasted to get nothing less than 48h out, I was ecstatic. Parts of SE MA though had 24-30". The northern cutoff to that storm was so extreme...I recall in Columbia county NY that the southern edge of the county had over 20" while the northern side had 1". There was a mesoband there in the SE part of the county close to SW MA where Great Barrington is...just sat there for hours at the peak pivot of the storm and gave them 2 feet.

its 96 that I began believing in the infamous NW trend. and also when I began to lose confidence in TWC. I think years later the old weather board did talk about how they hugged the GFS the week prior, which lead to them busting badly obv. didnt the euro hone in on 96 for like 5 days straight?

there wasnt any specific wind gusts noted in that report.

i've always felt the winds on the night of 1/7/96 were among the highest i've ever witnessed.

i guessed at the time they were near 60 mph.

36 straight hours of snow.

i'd love to see that again.

Peak gusts on 1/7-8/1996:

ACY - 55

LGA - 55

NYC - 53

JFK - 48

TTN - 46

EWR - 41

Compare to 12/26-27/2010:

ACY - 64

JFK - 59

LGA - 56

TTN - 54

EWR - 52

NYC - 43

Except for Central Park, winds were stronger in the Boxing Day Blizzard.

Yes the Euro did have the storm well in advance. I remember Channel 7 mentioning it saying one model is showing a blizzard for us. Meanwhile it took until Friday evening for the GFS to even show NYC getting accumulating snow. Even Saturday Afternoon it still looked like the bulk would fall across the midAtlantic from Philly to AC and down to VA getting the worst. I remember forecasts of 6 to 10" by Monday morning with 1 to 2 feet for central and south Jersey. Meanwhile many places had double and triple that amount with more falling through the day.

2003 wasn't all that different though the GFS caught on a little earlier. I think it was about 48 hours out that it looked like it would be a big deal for NYC and not just DC/Baltimore

its 96 that I began believing in the infamous NW trend. and also when I began to lose confidence in TWC. I think years later the old weather board did talk about how they hugged the GFS the week prior, which lead to them busting badly obv. didnt the euro hone in on 96 for like 5 days straight?

Yeah Boxing Day definitely beat 96 in eastern NJ.  In western NJ 1996 is still king.

Maybe portions of coastal NJ but not inland Monmouth/Ocean. We had around 30" for the 96 blizzard and 25" for Boxing Day. I care more about total snowfall than winds, so 1996 is still the king for most of Monmouth County.

Was in Brooklyn in 1996 , we had 24 inches of snow  and the narrow streets made the snow piles appear so high after all the shoveling and plowing .

But I was in Colts Neck for the Boxing Day storm and we easily had 30 .They didnt plow us for 3 days , equally insane .

I measured 25" in Colts Neck for Boxing Day; the 30"+ totals were confined to the extreme SE Monmouth-northeastern Ocean corridor.

Route 18 was closed down for several days, with helicopter rescues a couples miles from my house.

I measured 23" on 64ST and 12th Ave in Brooklyn for the blizzard of 96...That was the best storm of recent times for me in Brooklyn...The 12/26/2010 storm was the best so far living on Staten Island...It snowed harder in 2010 and it snowed longer in 1996...I love long snow events...Snowfalls that last 24hrs usually give us 10" or more...There are some exceptions like the first February 1994 storm...The sleet and freezing rain probably prevented that storm from being a foot...February 1964 had a storm that lasted 30 hours but the final total was 6.8" It was mostly a wet snow event...December 1995 had one with 8"...again some sleet and freezing rain with that one...The ice storm on 1/8/1994 was a 24 hr frozen precip event...December 1973 was also...

I measured 25" in Colts Neck for Boxing Day; the 30"+ totals were confined to the extreme SE Monmouth-northeastern Ocean corridor.

Route 18 was closed down for several days, with helicopter rescues a couples miles from my house.

Ya know... I don't think 18 was closed like that in 1996.  Just sayin' ;)

Archived