• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
17 years ago

SACRUS

I measured 25" in Colts Neck for Boxing Day; the 30"+ totals were confined to the extreme SE Monmouth-northeastern Ocean corridor.

Route 18 was closed down for several days, with helicopter rescues a couples miles from my house.

The SE parts of Ocean and Coastal Monmouth counties recorded 32- 34 in 2010   , I had 2 ft in brklyn in 96 . it also  seemed like there was more because there are already some snow around  .

In 2010 in NJ I had a touch more than in 96 as  that really fell on bare ground for me in NJ

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know... I don't think 18 was closed like that in 1996.  Just sayin' ;)

back in 1978 when they measured the snow when it ended one lane of the Staten Island expressway going towards Brooklyn was blocked by a snow pile and the rest of that left lane wasn't plowed...That was for a week or so...That could not happen in todays world because of how heavy the traffic is on that roadway...

How bout this best Snow depth for me was Jan 2011 in Laurel Hollow , about 20 inches fell during the Boxing day storm on top of 4- 5 that fell a few days to a week before and than the Jan storm droped close to 18 .

That was easily my deepest snow depth and sickest mounds.

Even in Dyker heights 2011 was my greatest snow depth  when you looked at the landscape when all was said and done .

its 96 that I began believing in the infamous NW trend. and also when I began to lose confidence in TWC. I think years later the old weather board did talk about how they hugged the GFS the week prior, which lead to them busting badly obv. didnt the euro hone in on 96 for like 5 days straight?

Yeah apparently the Euro did have it more NW...but not for every single run. I think it did miss one run and do not forget the Euro only ran once per day back then at 12z....and the 12z Euro didn't come out until around 8pm in the evening.

The old GFS was the MRF beyond 72 hours and the "higher resolution" AVN from 72 hours and in.

The SE parts of Ocean and Coastal Monmouth counties recorded 32- 34 in 2010   , I had 2 ft in brklyn in 96 . it also  seemed like there was more because there are already some snow around  .

In 2010 in NJ I had a touch more than in 96 as  that really fell on bare ground for me in NJ

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2011/26-Dec-10.html

I only see one report of 30.  Where did you hear of reports of 32-34?  Certainly not from the NWS or the CoCoRaHS network.

For NYC, specifically the middle-upper west side, I actually enjoyed the Jan 26-27 more than the boxing day blizzard. I heard thunder in both storms, but the Jan storm had a lot more of it. The hourly rates in central park seemed heavier and the lack of wind in comparison added that dumping snow effect. You could actually hear the snow accumulating. It was truly a winter wonderland. The fact that it wasn't hyped as much and far exceeded what most were calling for made it that much better. JMHO of course.

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2011/26-Dec-10.html

I only see one report of 30.  Where did you hear of reports of 32-34?  Certainly not from the NWS or the CoCoRaHS network.

check out Lakewood  , came in low 30 s  that little orangle blob in Ocean County .

And pull up the radar from that nite and check out the intense banding that sat over that area all nite  - ( around 195 ) and that matches up really well with the 30 - 33 mark in that area .

check out Lakewood  , came in low 30 s  that little orangle blob in Ocean County .

And pull up the radar from that nite and check out the intense banding that sat over that area all nite  - ( around 195 ) and that matches up really well with the 30 - 33 mark in that area .

Brick checked in with 36 , which makes sense cause its to the east of Lakewood which is under the 30 -33 orange blob .

There was also a report in Elizabeth of 32 .

LOL.

I made those maps (the two NJ ones).  There is nothing higher than 30 on them (in the Monmouth/Ocean area).  Which means any higher reports came from sources which NWS did not deem reliable, and they weren't in the CoCoRaHS network.

LOL.

I made those maps (the two NJ ones). There is nothing higher than 30 on them (in the Monmouth/Ocean area). Which means any higher reports came from sources which NWS did not deem reliable, and they weren't in the CoCoRaHS network.

That is a funny coincidence. Small world. Anyway, forget the measurements, this video is pretty telling. Whether the owners backyard or roof of house enhanced the snowfall, it's pretty much says it all.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLbvdZUvzfk]

boxing day was amazing, dont get me wrong. wieners were flying out of windows up and down under the megaband. I have never witnessed more intense snow rates combined with sick winds in my life. 96 was not this though. but what 96 was, the boxing day was not. it really depends how much fell in your backyard and what type of storm you prefer....a quick hitting super intense 2 footer confined to specific areas or a super long duration 2 footer covering a larger area. the other thing to consider is that boxing blizzard was pretty much at nightime and the megaband in the overnight hours. if you stayed up all night like I did, then boxing day was sick. if you did not, and woke up in the am with it winding down....then its cool you got dumped but you really couldnt experience it. 96 on the other hand, everyone got to experience it any way they wanted to...and at anytime.

i dream that one day an intense boxing day like storm has the length of 96.....a true weenies dream come true! :mapsnow:

I think it's possible we see a winter snowier than 1995-96 at some point this century. We had this discussion awhile ago after the epic snow stretch ended in 2011.

If portions of MD can get 90-100" on a season, as they did in 2009-10, and coastal Cape Cod around 100" in the 2004-05 season, I think it's well within the realm of possibilities for NJ/NYC to experience a 90-100" season. Climo wise we should have seen that winter before the locations mentioned.

1995-96 had a very long snow season, late November to the second week of April. Not much went wrong, but I think there could have been some improvement in December. NYC recorded 11.5" which is well above normal but nowhere near the levels of some historic winters.

I think it's possible we see a winter snowier than 1995-96 at some point this century. We had this discussion awhile ago after the epic snow stretch ended in 2011.

If portions of MD can get 90-100" on a season, as they did in 2009-10, and coastal Cape Cod around 100" in the 2004-05 season, I think it's well within the realm of possibilities for NJ/NYC to experience a 90-100" season. Climo wise we should have seen that winter before the locations mentioned.

1995-96 had a very long snow season, late November to the second week of April. Not much went wrong, but I think there could have been some improvement in December. NYC recorded 11.5" which is well above normal but nowhere near the levels of some historic winters.

NYC legitimately should have had about an 80-85 inch winter in 09-10 but the 2/6 storm of course didn't make it. you figure even if we ended up on the low end in that storm we'd have had 12-16 inches which would have put us around 78.

Duration of sustained snow cover also could have been a lot better. We had 30"+ on the ground after the blizzard, from two storms but less than two weeks later it literally washed away in one day from a mega rainstorm and ensuing 60 degree torch. 2010 - 11 had deep snow pack from Dec 26th through mid Feb. I believe it was our 2nd best sustained snow cover run ever. Still though, with 86" IMBY, 1995-1996 was the best winter ever. Unfortunately, the rest of the decade totally sucked.

The portions of SE MA and MD that got 90"+ in those two different winters are snowier places than most of NYC metro and CP of NJ. The hills of NNJ and SE NY obviously average more, but they've already had seasons of 90"+ before...in '95-'96 and I believe some spots had that in '60-'61 in the hills.

Nantucket and the Cape are a strange area...like much of the coastal plain....a feast or famine area for snow...but positioned where they are...I would offer a better overall spot for an exceptional season than NYC if the general storm track is offshore much of the winter. 

Nantucket and the Cape are a strange area...like much of the coastal plain....a feast or famine area for snow...but positioned where they are...I would offer a better overall spot for an exceptional season than NYC if the general storm track is offshore much of the winter. 

Parts of LI cracked 90" in '95-'96, didn't they?

Their snowfall climo in terms of averages is similar to the parts of SE MA that got 110"...maybe just a whisker less (like 35-36" vs 32-34"). I do think there is certainly room for a greater season in the NYC metro than '95-'96...but its tough.

Their snowfall climo in terms of averages is similar to the parts of SE MA that got 110"...maybe just a whisker less (like 35-36" vs 32-34"). I do think there is certainly room for a greater season in the NYC metro than '95-'96...but its tough.

Upton with 90"...NWS cooperative at Patchogue (now closed) with 92" (best ever that I can find). 

Upton with 90"...NWS cooperative at Patchogue (now closed) with 92" (best ever that I can find). 

Like SE MA, we had an exceptional 2004-05 with 78.5" at Upton. 

In 95-96 BNL had 90.8" and 94.9" IMBY.

LOL.

I made those maps (the two NJ ones).  There is nothing higher than 30 on them (in the Monmouth/Ocean area).  Which means any higher reports came from sources which NWS did not deem reliable, and they weren't in the CoCoRaHS network.

Ok you got me .  we only had 4 inches   the rest was blown over from Holmdel .

There were plenty of spotters in NJ that reported over 30 .The banding going on in and around the Ocean county border that nite was as intense a snowfall combined with its duration that i hav ever seen . I am telling you I witnessed both events 96 in Brooklyn and 2010 in CN .

2010 both were great . But i will argue with you all day long that 2010 we were closer to 30 in CN than 24 .

NYC legitimately should have had about an 80-85 inch winter in 09-10 but the 2/6 storm of course didn't make it. you figure even if we ended up on the low end in that s

torm we'd have had 12-16 inches which would have put us around 78.

If the 2010-2011 winter didn't go to **** in Feb, we would probably have broken the record.

Ok you got me .  we only had 4 inches   the rest was blown over from Holmdel .

There were plenty of spotters in NJ that reported over 30 .The banding going on in and around the Ocean county border that nite was as intense a snowfall combined with its duration that i hav ever seen . I am telling you I witnessed both events 96 in Brooklyn and 2010 in CN .

2010 both were great . But i will argue with you all day long that 2010 we were closer to 30 in CN than 24 .

That's nice, but apparently, if those spotters even bothered to communicate with the NWS, the NWS didn't believe any of them.

I think Dr. Dave Robinson, NJ State Climatologist, said in an interview after that storm he thought there was a lot of total inflation due to blowing and drifting, particularly off of building roofs.  The map I made is a direct reflection on what was reported in CoCoRaHS and what was reported in the NWS storm total PNS. 

If the 2010-2011 winter didn't go to **** in Feb, we would probably have broken the record.

I definitely think Westchester could see 100" of snow in a season based on the 90" recorded in Dobbs Ferry in 60-61 and the fact that 10-11 had close to 60" after the Feb 1st storm. Had snow kept coming in February and early March, 100" would have been in reached. The models did back down from a much snowier impact from Groundhog's Day 2011 and lost a strong overrunning event they were showing after.

Unfortunately, this winter won't be the one to break records.

Archived