e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to post about another state, go ahead.

Let's do a little math here, once again. :nerdsmiley:

1. There are more posters on this sub-forum from NC than from any other SE state. (OK, that was a guess. GA would be close.)

2. Most people care most about the weather in their backyard.

Taken together, it is more likely that a post would originate from a poster who resides in NC, and it is most likely that he would post about impacts to his home state of NC. Ergo, we have the majority of discussion centered on NC right now. It's just probability, it's not a conspiracy.

Can we coin a new phrase? I think we might have a few cases of region-envy occurring here. Or maybe state-envy. ^_^

I want to move to tenn.

I was actually giving him credit for having the kahonies to put the map on the thread....until he opened his mouth and inserted foot. You kinda got give a little credit for trying.

I would give him credit if his trying wasn't just rehashing what someone else said already and making wild guesses.....he def. deserved Weenie of the year over Brick. At least Brick has some innocence to him. 

I would give him credit if his trying wasn't just rehashing what someone else said already and making wild guesses.....he def. deserved Weenie of the year over Brick. At least Brick has some innocence to him. 

Eh...I had the map out before the Winter Storm Watches were even posted. I also created a map for the last event that did really well in advance. Just giving it my best shot...I would never steal from anyone...I went against nearly EVERYONE last event. Check the Call Map Verification thread...

All I see in the system thread is North Carolina and Virginia. Are there not other states in the southeast? Since when is Virginia part of the southeast anyways? Send that to the mid-Atlantic sub forum where it belongs.

Lol I had the same thought. No other states being mentioned. VA has always been part of the SE though. Even potentially Kentucky is part of our area.

I post about Ga. No one listens to me, but I post anyway. Steve posts about Ga. and Dawson, and Delta. Occasionally Cheez chimes in, and lord knows you post, but since you are down in the southern hemisphere somewhere, I'm not sure if you count. lol. How's your summer going ? Looks like more drought coming for you and me, even it is a wet drought :) A few tenths won't even mess up the roads down here. Too many folks have to get to WalMart, and they warm up the roads. T

Summer been great. Great chance of rain in next 10 days is 20% on Saturday. Should be a drought buster for sure.

Yeah sure. How much do you average a year?

The last 20 years or historical?  lol................

My town averages 15.6 inches of snow per year.  That total is a little misleading as there were 3 separate 20-30 inch snows in the 90s.  Take those out and in the past 20 years we would be lucky to be averaging 8 inches.

I'm starting to think the question for Friday's event imby is whether to expect flurries or a few puffy clouds.  The drying trend is pronounced and has been going on for a couple days of runs now.  

There was a wetter trend with the regional models, though.

It does seem that the NAM handled the clipper well tonight in VA, FWIW.

EDIT: So now the NAM is backing off.  LOL.  :weenie:

Wow!  I checked the Raleigh, NC NWS statement this morning and it sounds as though they are really thinking this will be a major impact event but a minor precip event.  Their confidence of any significant accumulation is pretty low this morning...

FXUS62 KRAH 241055AFDRAHAREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC555 AM EST THU JAN 24 2013
.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT/...AS OF 240 AM THURSDAY......A LIGHT WINTRY MIX STILL POSSIBLE FRIDAY AND FRIDAY EVENING...THE TREND OF THE MODELS CONTINUES TO BE TOWARD A FLATTER MID/UPPERWAVE SOLUTION AND VERY LIGHT QPF... FOR FRIDAY AND FRIDAY EVENING ASTHE SYSTEM MOVES THROUGH THE TENNESSEE AND LOWER OHIO VALLEY REGIONACROSS THE APPALACHIANS TO THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST. VERY COLD ARCTICAIR WILL BE IN PLACE. HOWEVER... MOISTURE WILL BE LACKING FOR ASIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM. YET... WITH SUCH COLD AIR IN PLACE FRIDAYBEFORE THE LIGHT PRECIPITATION EVENT UNFOLDS... THIS COULD TURN OUTTO BE A MINIMAL PRECIPITATION / BUT HIGH IMPACT EVENT (I.E. THE19JAN2005 LIGHT SNOW / HIGH IMPACT EVENT)... WHEN RDU MEASURED 1INCH OF SNOW WITH 0.04 LIQUID EQUIVALENT / WITH TEMPERATURES IN THEMID 20S DURING THE AFTERNOON.THE LATEST MODELS CONTINUE TO INDICATE LOW QPF IN THE RANGE OF 0.1TO 0.2 OF AN INCH... WITH MOST ENSEMBLE MEMBERS IN THE 0.05 TO 0.15RANGE. THE MAJORITY OF THE PRECIPITATION TIMING IS FORECAST TO BE INTHE LATE MORNING OR EARLY AFTERNOON BEGIN TIME... EXCEPT DURING THEAFTERNOON IN THE SOUTHEAST... ENDING QUICKLY BY LATE AFTERNOON ORVERY EARLY EVENING.ALTHOUGH THE MODEL 1000/850 AND 850/700 THICKNESS FORECASTS CONTINUETO SHOW DECENT SPREAD... THE FAVORED 00Z/EC CONTINUES TO INDICATETHE PREDOMINATE P-TYPE TO BE LIGHT SNOW NW (1280/1535M THICKNESSES)...LIGHT SNOW WITH SLEET IN THE I-64 CORRIDOR (PARTIALS IN THE 1280SAND 1540S - ENDING WITH 1300 AND 1550 OR SO). SURFACE WET BULBFORECASTS KEEP TEMPERATURES IN THE 20S ALL DAY FROM RALEIGH WEST ANDNORTH THROUGH THE PIEDMONT INTO THE BLUE RIDGE. THIS WILL BE THEAREA WHERE MEASURABLE SNOW AND SLEET IS FAVORED... WITH ACHANGE-OVER TO LIGHT FREEZING RAIN OR FREEZING DRIZZLE BY SUNSET ORSO (AS WE LOSE SATURATION IN THE ICE NUCLEATION ZONE ALOFT).SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND AN INCH APPEAR POSSIBLE. THIS ISWHERE A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED FRIDAY INTOFRIDAY EVENING IN LATER FORECASTS (ASSUMING THE MODELS DO NOTCOMPLETELY DRY UP).IN THE CORRIDOR FROM THE FAR SOUTHERN PIEDMONT... NORTHERN SANDHILLSAND MUCH OF THE CENTRAL COASTAL PLAIN... MAINLY TO THE NORTH OF ALINE FROM LAURINBURG TO FAYETTEVILLE TO GOLDSBORO / SOUTH OF 1-64SHOULD BEGIN WITH LIGHT SNOW/SLEET WITH A CHANGE-OVER TO LIGHTFREEZING RAIN WITH TRACE SNOW/SLEET (PREDOMINATE P-TYPES). SURFACEWET BULBS HERE ARE FORECAST TO REACH NEAR 32... PLACING THIS REGIONIN LIKELY ADVISORY CRITERIA AS WELL.TO THE EAST AND SOUTH OF LAURINBURG TO FAYETTEVILLE TO GOLDSBORO...A COLD LIGHT RAIN MIXED WITH SLEET IS EXPECTED WITH WET BULBS 33-34OR SO DURING THE AFTERNOON.BOTTOM LINE... DUE TO THE EXPECTED LIGHT NATURE OF THE PRECIPITATIONEPISODE AND THE VERY COLD AIR IN PLACE FRIDAY INTO FRIDAY EVENING...THIS COULD VERY WELL TURN OUT TO BE A LOW PRECIPITATION... YETRATHER HIGH IMPACT EVENT. MODEL TRENDS CONTINUE TO DAMPEN THE WAVEAND LESSEN THE QPF WITH TIME... WHICH MAKES THIS ONLY A LOW TOMODERATE CONFIDENCE FORECAST FOR AMOUNTS. P-TYPE AND COLD AIR AREHIGH CONFIDENCE... QPF IS LOW CONFIDENCE.

Archived