Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving my reply to Banter:

The models show the potential. That's the fun part. But it is so hard to know what will actually happen when it comes to wintry weather around here. Central NC is notorious for being the hardest place in the country for forecasting winter weather. That's why a lot of times we get more or less than forecasted.

Probably not, just like there are not statistics for how many times the models have failed. It's called experience. Plus, I have heard a lot of mets say the same.

Just last night from WxSouth on Facebook illustrates that Central NC is not even the toughest spot in the region, much less the country:

The APPS play games with models in the lee of the Apps many times. I've seen systems overperform there, and seen systems be completely dry with partly cloudy skies, in the face of Winter Storm Warnings just 12 hours prior. Tough Call.

Followed by this in his comments section:

In 09/10 Winter, there were 3 Winter Storm watches in the GSP region, and all 3 had partly cloudy skies and virtually no precip just 12 to 24 hours later for the "event". That area is a remarkable hard area to forecast for.

It's fine to have an opinion, but you can't lay it out in the discussion thread without some evidence to back it up.  Experience doesn't count as evidence.  And, you would find many people on this board who would stringently disagree with you regarding your choice of difficult places for which to forecast.  Your opinion is tainted by your backyard, as is mine.

So, that area might be hard, too. I just know Greg Fishel said that central NC is one of the toughest places in the country to forecast wintry weather. And there have been plenty of times that we have received less or more than what was forecasted. That is why I think he is usally so conservative in his forecasts at the beginning.

What a waste of cold air. Bring back 70 and sunny. I hate Winter. It's stupid.

If we don't end up getting something tomorrow, I agree. It looks like the models are coming in with even less precip. Of course this would be the time when the models are right. We'll see, but it seems when we have the cold we can't get the precip, and when we get the precip it's too warm. If that's how it's going to be, just give me sunny and warm.

hey guys, I just moved into a two story home. My first home was only a one story. The problem I am having is the second floor stays hot but the bottom floor stays cold. The problem is that I only have one heating unit instead of seperate ones. Any suggestions on how to help my heating issue other than going the super expensive route and adding another unit?

Archived