• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

FWIW- school closings are happening in Ga already. Pickens Co. is the first to make the call.

IMO- With municipal budgets being what they are, school Superintendents are using this as a money saving measure to go ahead and cancel school in the name of safety. That's my conspiracy theory of the day. LOL

Yeah, here too, and we don't even have a WWA yet.  My wife just heard from a PTO officer that Catawba County schools are going to close preemptively at 10 AM tomorrow.  Plus, due to state law, the kids have to have lunch during that short time at school.  And, the system will get to count this as a full day of school for the calendar.  How crazy is that?

So, kids will begin classes around 8 AM, have one hour of instruction, eat an impossibly early lunch too soon after breakfast, and then return home at an incredibly inconvenient time for any working adults.  And, we get to pretend that they actually had a full day's worth of instruction.  Really?  Bureaucratic red-tape at it's finest.  (Oh, and I work for the state, so I'm allowed to make fun of it!) 

From all I can tell, whatever precipitation does make it to the ground here won't even arrive until 2 PM-ish.  Oh well.

Oh.  And I know, I know, that bus routes have to run safely, etc.  My kid rides the bus. But, come on, people?

I think the biggest thing that irks me from an instruction standpoint is that the system gets to count this as a full day of school even though the kids won't learn anything.  It's not that I want to have make-up days, but go ahead and be honest about the day by cancelling it completely if you're worried about safety and then make it up at a later date.

/rant over

:wacko:

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess they don't want a repeat of what happened in the Triangle in 05, where they waited until things started and people were stranded on the roads. Some kids even had to spend the night at school because their parents couldn't get to them. Better safe than sorry. I don't think we'll even get anything now, but that was only a half inch of snow that caused all that mess, and it was a very similar situation as tomorrow with the temps and little precip.

161993_90520373268_2031248561_q.jpg

Last post until later this evening... We should watch for some mixing precipitation Sunday night - will watch. The warm up next week really does look short lived! Another serious shot of cold seems likely the following week. We also have a pesky odd looking system to watch next weekend.. no real threat yet, just something to watch.. quick comments this evening after evening model runs - full update around 11-12 tonight!

Here Brick, I'll put this winter into context for you. You got to see thunder snow last week. I saw a few light wet flakes mixed in. NAM is now giving you an ice storm. Last winter you saw 2 inches in your backyard while I got 4 minutes of sleet.  STFU about how horrible this winter is. 

I never saw any thunder snow.

Just because your winter sucked even more still doesn't mean it hasn't sucked here.

Archived