• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December 29-30 storm.

stormtracker

I know everyone here is about "setting climo expectations" but I can't set them much lower than one inch. Otherwise it isn't even a storm and we should close the thread. We should probably stop agonizing over models that are really not that good at pinpointing the fine details between a trace at 34 and an inch at 32.

this run is good for you....I honestly think you are fine there...I am probably being too IMBY, but the surface is too warm and the column is warm from 925/950 down....

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know everyone here is about "setting climo expectations" but I can't set them much lower than one inch. Otherwise it isn't even a storm and we should close the thread. We should probably stop agonizing over models that are really not that good at pinpointing the fine details between a trace at 34 and an inch at 32.

The real irony comes in when we get a modeled 2-4 / 3-5 at short lead and all the honking turns to squeals of agony as the storm cuts off with 1-2 on the ground area wide...on the heels of back to back overperformers.

It's a take what you can get pattern. Anybody who thinks it's better than that will be disappointed.

this run is good for you....I honestly think you are fine there...I am probably being too IMBY, but the surface is too warm and the column is warm from 925/950 down....

The run isn't bad and its decent at h5. Baltimore N is probably safe, no offense, but you can see that you're not probably being too IMBY, you're definitely too IMBY. I only say this because you called a run hideous then good run. I am 10 miles south of him, its not a bad run. You're warm but it can get cooler like today's did. UKMET above is nice, and chilly. The good models have Baltimore N in that 1-3/2-4 we want.

The real irony comes in when we get a modeled 2-4 / 3-5 at short lead and all the honking turns to squeals of agony as the storm cuts off with 1-2 on the ground area wide...on the heels of back to back overperformers.

It's a take what you can get pattern. Anybody who thinks it's better than that will be disappointed.

I have not been impressed with the GFS the last 2 runs....based on those, I would say people are going to get the same amount they got today...perhaps I am being too pessimistic, but it is moisture starved...the vort passes to our north....it is weak and disorganized, the air mass is bootleg and the column is insufficient to support snow....other than that I think the storm is great

I have not been impressed with the GFS the last 2 runs....based on those, I would say people are going to get the same amount they got today...perhaps I am being too pessimistic, but it is moisture starved...the vort passes to our north....it is weak and disorganized, the air mass is bootleg and the column is insufficient to support snow....other than that I think the storm is great

40S problems... lately DC might as well be Richmond, in terms of climate...

I think that's a good call. 1-3, with the 3 out in the western areas. Similar to today, without the back-end deluge (so better in that sense).

The run isn't bad and its decent at h5. Baltimore N is probably safe, no offense, but you can see that you're not probably being too IMBY, you're definitely too IMBY. I only say this because you called a run hideous then good run. I am 10 miles south of him, its not a bad run. You're warm but it can get cooler like today's did. UKMET above is nice, and chilly. The good models have Baltimore N in that 1-3/2-4 we want.

great...I live in Alexandria

great...I live in Alexandria

That's capitalizing on the IMBYness, I mean I think at h5 the gfs was decent for more than just bwi northward. I'm only expecting 1-2 maybe 2-4 tops, but I mean it is what it is. I think that you'll see snow which in the desperation many of us have is not a bad thing. Enjoy it please, its the best type of weather we know.

That's capitalizing on the IMBYness, I mean I think at h5 the gfs was decent for more than just bwi northward. I'm only expecting 1-2 maybe 2-4 tops, but I mean it is what it is. I think that you'll see snow which in the desperation many of us have is not a bad thing. Enjoy it please, its the best type of weather we know.

you can see the best lift? runs right along the 32 degree contour and right along the 500mb vort path to our north from western MD to southern PA....you and Phineas will be ok.....that is a bad track for me....

I see his point though. If you have 2 inches in Dundalk, Phin 3, the barbaric highlands where I dwell 4, what good does it do the Alexandria crowd if they see a non accumulation mix? It is frustrating to be fringed.

I think the point is that for the core group of us here these are all going to be small, marginal events. The GFS at 70+ hours really isn't going to be nailing any coffins shut in terms of trace vs 1 inch. That's all within the accepted margin of error. I might be in a "good spot" to get 1 more hour of snow than DC and maybe get that inch while they get .5. Not worth worrying too much over really. We need a real storm soon...

you can see the best lift? runs right along the 32 degree contour and right along the 500mb vort path to our north from western MD to southern PA....you and Phineas will be ok.....that is a bad track for me....

I like what it does with the coastal low in keeping that precip around to help us, the GFS this run was a primary secondary more enhanced situation. I did not fall in love with it, but the coastal took a good track. Unfortunately, that wouldn't do much. I am close on it, I'd do alright, N of BWI does do fine. I mean the GFS lacked QPF on the frames where it should've at least delivered .1-.2 in a 6 hour period totaling up over .25 (It's all academic at this juncture, we fluctuate up to game time, sometimes for the good, aka Feb 2-3, 2010 is a decent example)

I think the point is that for the core group of us here these are all going to be small, marginal events. The GFS at 70+ hours really isn't going to be nailing any coffins shut in terms of trace vs 1 inch. That's all within the accepted margin of error. I might be in a "good spot" to get 1 more hour of snow than DC and maybe get that inch while they get .5. Not worth worrying too much over really. We need a real storm soon...

the storm starts at 57 hours....friday overnight...and you look good for 2-3" and I look good for a sleet/rain mix with a few mangled flakes and 35 degrees...I'd be very zen like if I lived in Kingsville as well

the storm starts at 57 hours....friday overnight...and you look good for 2-3" and I look good for a sleet/rain mix with a few mangled flakes and 35 degrees...I'd be very zen like if I lived in Kingsville as well

You're right about that Matt, I'd say 1-3" for me and 2-4" for Phin, judging by the way the precip is and I doubt it will fall apart some like the GFS says, Phin could get even higher if the models juice this baby up some tomorrow.

I have lived, work, and otherwise dwell in this region from York, Pa, Beltsville, Cambridge, Fenwick Island, and frequent Kent Iskand. The snow climo here is remarkable in its variability over short distances. I understand the frustrations endured by the 495 crowd, but if you choose to live here for business or personal interest, you must adjust your expectations accordingly. If you are an avid bay sport enthusiast live in Annapolis or Kent Island. If you obsess over snow like I do than straddle the Mason Dixon line.

The SREF's are a good tool in this range to scope out the range of possibilities that exist. The ARW solution would likely push the RA/SN line up to approx. the Christmas eve RA/SN line. The more suppressed the less the WAA and thus you get a lighter snow down to DC/Wes's House. Ironically, the SERF mean would suit everyone pretty well temps wise.

f69.gif

If I can get a couple inches of snow on my lawn, I'll be happy.

Archived