joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like a widespread 8-14 inches, with 8" in the NEK downslope areas, and 14" along the east slope of the Spine of the Greens (RT 100 corridor)... although the west slope of the Spine could catch up quickly once the flow goes NW. Essentially... locally 12-16" along the Spine but that's pretty much standard operating procedure up here.

GFS and NAM look solid with a lot less of that dryslot/downslope wedge of lower QPF. I think the backside wrap around NW flow is what will take some areas into the next tier... anytime that 0.1-0.25" QPF shading lingers in the vicinity of the spine on the backside of the storm, that's a signal right there for enhanced fluffy accums on moist cyclonic flow.

Leave it to the hi res NAM to make me wanna kill myself in the NEK lolol

Same amount at my house as there is at LSC. So wrong.

Haha I have a hard time believing under an inch even in the downslope area.

I'm surprised it doesn't show the Green Mountain Spine enhancement all the way up to Jay Peak. I've never seen the northern part of the spine get missed in any orographic enhancement from any wind direction, lol.

12z GFS would end up looking very different with best deformation and wrap around NW flow across northern VT.

Haha I have a hard time believing under an inch even in the downslope area.

I'm surprised it doesn't show the Green Mountain Spine enhancement all the way up to Jay Peak. I've never seen the northern part of the spine get missed in any orographic enhancement from any wind direction, lol.

Lol, yeah I think it over/under does that type of thing due to its 4km resolution and micro physics scheme. I have not done much research into this, but I'm considering it as a senior thesis topic next year. So interesting.

Latest thoughts:

PF: 12-16"

LSC: 10-12"

St. J: 7-9"

Higher els of NEK: 12-16"

BTV: 10-12"

Littleton,NH: 6-8"

Dendrite: 10-14"

Jeff in the dirty Lew: 12-16"

Coastal ME: very variable but mainly 6-12" with lower amounts on immediate coast.

Good call Ed, I have me in 10-14" here and the foothills, 4-8" coast and 5-8" Millinocket area and 4-7" Northern County

That map from news 13 is on the low side

Also feel Channel 6 is going low too... Dusting to 4 inches for most of Coastal Maine the Met was showing... Cold Air and higher QPF should allow for more accumulation. Been going 5-7" of wet heavy snow before any mixing with sleet & rain... I cannot rule out rain but feeling we might hold on just enough cold air to stay sleet.

Just saw this post

snow_map1_full.JPG

I have to disagree with this map. Reasons are because I feel the mixing doesn't occur this fast. I also believe the cold air lasts and holds on very long. Coastal Maine I expect 4-8" of snow. 4" on the Ocean Front and a mile inland I expect 6-8".

1-2 inches for Concord NH? Wow....I don't think there is one model that gives us less than 8 or 10 inches

Good call Ed, I have me in 10-14" here and the foothills, 4-8" coast and 5-8" Millinocket area and 4-7" Northern County

Why are you 10-14? The qpf has you over 1.5 on just about every model and over 2 on some (right?) Just being conservative? I would think you are 12-18 with lollies near 24 not too far nw of you. 5 sd easterly flow and foothills doesn't suggest being conservative.

But wth do I know lol!

Man I-89 from Waterbury to Montpelier must be getting hit hard.

Montpelier is down to 1/2sm moderate snow now...likely high ratio fluff too.

Hitting a brick wall as it moves up here. Flurries at the base of the ski resort and light snow falling at the summit. You can see the virga clearly from up at 3,600ft. Looking out you see the wispy look of snow falling but visibility improves to like 40 miles down below 2,000ft haha.

Yup! Got a nice 1.5" of pure fluff this morning in J-ville.

I like a widespread 8-14 inches, with 8" in the NEK downslope areas, and 14" along the east slope of the Spine of the Greens (RT 100 corridor)... although the west slope of the Spine could catch up quickly once the flow goes NW. Essentially... locally 12-16" along the Spine but that's pretty much standard operating procedure up here.

GFS and NAM look solid with a lot less of that dryslot/downslope wedge of lower QPF. I think the backside wrap around NW flow is what will take some areas into the next tier... anytime that 0.1-0.25" QPF shading lingers in the vicinity of the spine on the backside of the storm, that's a signal right there for enhanced fluffy accums on moist cyclonic flow.

Agree. The western slopes of the southern Greens could really get significantly shadowed (Addison/Rutland) if some of the higher resolution models are correct. Showing quite the downslope signature in those parts. Less shadowing further north as there's more of a northerly component to the east wind rather than southerly.

Also feel Channel 6 is going low too... Dusting to 4 inches for most of Coastal Maine the Met was showing... Cold Air and higher QPF should allow for more accumulation. Been going 5-7" of wet heavy snow before any mixing with sleet & rain... I cannot rule out rain but feeling we might hold on just enough cold air to stay sleet.

Yeah, I looked at Keith's map he is low as well, They must be expecting some warming, The qpf is certainly there for the higher totals, The Nam is really the warm outlier but they must be giving it some weight in there forecast

Why are you 10-14? The qpf has you over 1.5 on just about every model and over 2 on some (right?) Just being conservative? I would think you are 12-18 with lollies near 24 not too far nw of you. 5 sd easterly flow and foothills doesn't suggest being conservative.

But wth do I know lol!

I like to leave me some room mark, You can always adjust up but i hate to go balls in and bust

Archived