gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
December 20th-22nd Major Winter Storm Part II

andyhb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Severe storm warning in north-central Missouri, with heavy snows across the border in central Iowa. Gotta love it.

EDIT: Chi-storm beat me to it

So nice to have active weather...been waiting too long for something legit.

NAM is very intriguing...would certainly bust some forecasts.

NAM forecast sounding for ORD valid at midnight tomorrow

post-14-0-26074300-1355970772_thumb.gif

Low level lapse rates not quite dry adiabatic but may be able to tap into some of that 60 kts at 900 mb

I'm pretty convinced there are going to be many thousands of power outages, especially with multiple large metros in play. Wet snow certainly will bring down a lot of branches but one thing that may save us from widespread/severe tree loss is that the soils are dry.

NAM forecast sounding for ORD valid at midnight tomorrow

post-14-0-26074300-1355970772_thumb.gif

Low level lapse rates not quite dry adiabatic but may be able to tap into some of that 60 kts at 900 mb

I'm pretty convinced there are going to be many thousands of power outages, especially with multiple large metros in play. Wet snow certainly will bring down a lot of branches but one thing that may save us from widespread/severe tree loss is that the soils are dry.

We're about to change that with .5-.8" or rain

The dynamics of the system are just amazing. Those same dynamics will be interesting to watch to see if the lift and the mid/upr lows closing off where they do help the switch over around here happen sooner. I wouldn't be shocked. UVM certainly in the NAMS 2nd defo band could fire off some thundersnow around here tomorrow morning to around mid day or there abouts. I'm not quite ready to toss my 4-8" call across this area yet.

My son just took some decent lightning photos from the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. They got some decent thunderstorms going down that way right now. Bouncing between house stuff, and hitting the forums. Got them on my iPhone too. Prepping for possible power outages and such tomorrow.

Archived