EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Dec 16-20 Snow/Mix events - Going over like a fart in church

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll post my detailed thoughts on this events once the 12z guidance comes out. I've posted some prelim thoughts in the banter thread earlier this morning, but we are still at least 96 hours out and perhaps a bit longer depending on which shortwave ends up being the dominant one for this event early next week. The overnight guidance did come in a bit colder as a result of the Quebec high.

Every time I hear that the high in Quebec is coming in stronger and colder that immediately pops into my head. The other term I have an irrational fear of is retrograde. After what happed in NNE, especially Maine, a couple of years ago I fear this sometimes.

You and i are on the same page, That high is being under modeled and where its is would sneak a weaker 1st wave out underneath us, Not that we need to get overly concerned this far out but its always in the back of my head, And i still have nightmares of the retrograde storm in 2010 with that mega block

You and i are on the same page, That high is being under modeled and where its is would sneak a weaker 1st wave out underneath us, Not that we need to get overly concerned this far out but its always in the back of my head, And i still have nightmares of the retrograde storm in 2010 with that mega block

The Storm That Ate Winter! 2005-06 had 12" less snow than 09-10, and last year's snowpack lasted 20 fewer days, but 09-10 remains at the bottom of my 14 winters here. Somewhat OT, but it seems like retro events are becoming more common during the past 4-5 yr, with Sandy and the Jan 2010 bomb heading the list.

GFS runs seem to alternate between weak/suppressed dusting and high-end advisory event. At least there's something interesting inside 100 hr, for a change.

We close enough to get an estimated timing on this - approximate start and end?

i dont think so, bc as will stated above, he waiting on full 12z suite to figure out which short waves will be dominant. gfs gets it outta here quicker, and euro was more of a monday event. so i think were at least a day away from having confidence on end time.

I posted this in the banter thread earlier this morning, but I wanted to post it again in here.

There are actually 3 main shortwavesin the flow...only 2 of them ever produce a storm. But the order in which that happens changes some of the outcomes. There will definitely be a "first" system...its just whether it happens more on Sunday/Sunday night rather than Monday.

Here is the Euro at 96 hours....you can see 3 distinct waves I have highlighted. The first one gets overtaken by wave #2 in the southwest US and that becomes the dominant one. That is why the Euro has most of the event on Monday. Wave #3 near the PAC NW is what produces the big system after the first one.

2jm7q.jpg

On the GFS, wave #1 is the dominant wave for the first event, and it lags wave #2 much further west than the Euro, and wave #2 on the GFS actually gets overtaken by wave #3 as the dominant wave.

I posted this in the banter thread earlier this morning, but I wanted to post it again in here.

There are actually 3 main shortwavesin the flow...only 2 of them ever produce a storm. But the order in which that happens changes some of the outcomes. There will definitely be a "first" system...its just whether it happens more on Sunday/Sunday night rather than Monday.

Here is the Euro at 96 hours....you can see 3 distinct waves I have highlighted. The first one gets overtaken by wave #2 in the southwest US and that becomes the dominant one. That is why the Euro has most of the event on Monday. Wave #3 near the PAC NW is what produces the big system after the first one.

2jm7q.jpg

On the GFS, wave #1 is the dominant wave for the first event, and it lags wave #2 much further west than the Euro, and wave #2 on the GFS actually gets overtaken by wave #3 as the dominant wave.

Good post. Lots of energy for the models to try to handle here. GFS really has only 1 storm, while the Euro has two as of 00z. We cant really iron out track if we dont know how many storms are coming in the first place.

Furthermore, in terms of the second storm, so much depends on what the earlier shortwaves do due to the need for a 50/50 for the bigger storm.

Should be fun to watch

After today's 12z suite, we have an interesting set of solutions.

The GFS is a very weak overrunning wave that dumps maybe an inch or 3 into SNE/CNE during the day on Sunday...esp north of the pike. Maybe some mixing/ice issues south of that in the interior.

GGEM focuses the energy on wave #2 for this first event...thus producing a huge snowstorm for SNE on Monday Dec 17...with some weak mood snow on Sunday afternoon into Sunday night preceeding the main show.

Euro actually has two back to back events on Dec 16 and Dec 17 into early Dec 18. I'm pretty skeptical of getting two seperate events that quick from eahc of those waves. The first is light overrunning snow for Sunday/Sunday night. It drops about 2-4" for most of SNE away from the extreme southern parts. The 2nd wave produces another round on Monday night into early Tuesday morning. About another 2-5" again focuses on SNE. But lighter snows make it into NNE on both events.

Bottom line, even though this "event" or more unlikely, "events", is only about 100 hours out, we are still stuck with a very wide range of solutions.

Archived