• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Geminids meteor shower peak December 13-14

Went out for a couple hours last night to get a preview at a spot with moderate light pollution... ended up seeing a fireball so obscenely bright that it a) looked like lightning or a cop car pulling up behind me, and b ) easily cast a visible shadow (I was looking the wrong way, of course). Someone else compared it to the equivalent of the full moon suddenly appearing for a couple seconds, which sounds about right. Way stoked for tonight!

Went out for a couple hours last night to get a preview at a spot with moderate light pollution... ended up seeing a fireball so obscenely bright that it a) looked like lightning or a cop car pulling up behind me, and b ) easily cast a visible shadow (I was looking the wrong way, of course). Someone else compared it to the equivalent of the full moon suddenly appearing for a couple seconds, which sounds about right. Way stoked for tonight!

I'm probably going to be watching most of the night. Piscids are expected to peak in the early evening with Geminids peaking later in the night. Already over 100 Geminids being observed per hour!

http://www.imo.net/live/geminids2012/

Have seen a few here - not too many yet. The stars seem much brighter than normal tonight - I guess the combination of the very clear sky and no moon...even so, just seems brighter than normal! Great stargazing night!

You're more south as well, I think but am not sure as you get further south there are fewer...could be wrong though.

Just in my field of view I counted 15 or so in 12-15 minutes of viewing! 2 left quite a trail and were very bright. This was in a moderately lighted area from 1-1:15am EST. They came in bursts with often 2 or 3 within a second or two of each other.

Archived