• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Geminids meteor shower peak December 13-14

Saw 3 or 4 over 10 or 15 minutes but this is a really bright area I could barely see the stars. I should have driven somewhere but I think I'd have to go 20 min to get outside the city lights. I've only watched one other meteor shower (tried another once or twice but clouds) and it was maybe 9-12+ years ago and it was spectacular. IIRC there were dozens every minute. Does anybody know when that might have been?

Saw 3 or 4 over 10 or 15 minutes but this is a really bright area I could barely see the stars. I should have driven somewhere but I think I'd have to go 20 min to get outside the city lights. I've only watched one other meteor shower (tried another once or twice but clouds) and it was maybe 9-12+ years ago and it was spectacular. IIRC there were dozens every minute. Does anybody know when that might have been?

That was the Leonids which peaked Sunday morning November 18, 2001. That was a truly awesome show.

Grr, and here in the land of drought and clear skies it was socked in with clouds all night. Congratulations!

I remember the Geminids in 2003 were spectacular- laid on my deck in MA for 30 minutes and must have seen a couple dozen.

Edit: No, xram was right- it was the Leonids in 2001 because I was waiting for my hiking buddy to come pick me up for an early hike and it was a Sunday morning in November.

Was averaging about 12/13 per 5 minutes last night. There were a few periods without much going on so 100-125 seemed pretty reasonable. It's entirely dark here at night which made an enormous difference in seeing tons of fast, dull streakers. What shocked me about last night was the number of doubles and triples where multiple fragments would enter like a firework. Absolutely the best I've ever seen as I missed 2001. Phenomenal show.

Had 0.95 in overnight-whoops wrong type of shower-now you know what the Geminids were like in Tucson. The Leonids tend to have big events every 33 years or so. However, the word is that due to perturbations of the parent comet's orbit by Jupiter, major storm activity is not expected until around 2099.

I was looking earlier this evening and saw a few within 15 minutes, even though I could only see half the sky from my location due to clouds and there are bright city lights everywhere.

Rates really crashing now though, down to 40/hour. That's decent for a meteor shower though. http://www.imo.net/

Getting the sense that there weren't many fireball meteors with this one, normal meteors are awesome but fireballs are on another level.

Archived