Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 9-11, 2012 (Winter?) Storm

weathergy

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

run of the mill snow here. 3" with another 1"- poss 2 if lake gets a little more involved.

27 and pretty windy so it's a decent enough winters night.

Run of the mill snow here, too....1/4 inch of snow. I think it is our fifth dusting this year. It snowed for a couple hours but wouldn't lay, then it sleeted and rained for an hour, and the 15 minutes of heavy snow...the end. If Muskegon really didn't get lake effect snow, I wonder how low our avg. snow would be. It is a CRAP spot for synoptic snows, unless it is a clipper. It seems like EVERY storm from the southwest either goes south and we get just missed....or it somehow jumps northwest and we get sloppy crap. Argh. I think Lake Michigan REALLY influences the path of the lows...or the line from Milwaukee to Muskegon to Windsor to Toronto has just been in the BAD zone for the past several years.

3.6 officially - definitely exceeded expectations from a forecast perspective. However, I had a feeling we might overperform based off what the NAM had been showing. Either way, I will take it.

That's good, your ob says 33 and rain though, so the snow probably will not last long. Probably a few days though. Slowly but surely the region looks to become more wintry but it looks like it will be a week or two later than most of us were hoping. Many will become desperate if the two potential storms in the Dec. 15-19 period don't pan out, myself included.

Run of the mill snow here, too....1/4 inch of snow. I think it is our fifth dusting this year. It snowed for a couple hours but wouldn't lay, then it sleeted and rained for an hour, and the 15 minutes of heavy snow...the end. If Muskegon really didn't get lake effect snow, I wonder how low our avg. snow would be. It is a CRAP spot for synoptic snows, unless it is a clipper. It seems like EVERY storm from the southwest either goes south and we get just missed....or it somehow jumps northwest and we get sloppy crap. Argh. I think Lake Michigan REALLY influences the path of the lows...or the line from Milwaukee to Muskegon to Windsor to Toronto has just been in the BAD zone for the past several years.

The problem with the eastern Great Lakes in terms of synoptic snows are the Appalachian Mountains.

It is an absolute pain trying to get a highly-amplified/moist storm to track along them. It doesn't help either that we've had the relentless trough in Alaska, which tends to translate to a rather unimpressive upper level pattern conducive to stormy weather around these parts.

Our bread and butter, besides clippers, are the low-amplitude Texas hookers that move in from the WSW. They rarely leave behind the big dumps (outside of locally intense banding), but they're still relatively fun.

The problem with the eastern Great Lakes in terms of synoptic snows are the Appalachian Mountains.

It is an absolute pain trying to get a highly-amplified/moist storm to track along them. It doesn't help either that we've had the relentless trough in Alaska, which tends to translate to a rather unimpressive upper level pattern conducive to stormy weather around these parts.

Our bread and butter, besides clippers, are the low-amplitude Texas hookers that move in from the WSW. They rarely leave behind the big dumps (outside of locally intense banding), but they're still relatively fun.

Thanks for the info. I remember growing up in PA during the 90s and seeing the weather, there were several winters where it seemed like it was one storm after another moving up west of the APPS. Why is it so much easier (it seems) for storms to either go up through the plains or up along the east coast? Or is that just the unfortunate pattern since I moved here four years ago? I think the Blizzard of 11 was the only real snowstorm I have experienced.

Archived