northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Nov 27 2012 Snow/Rain/Slop OBS and Nowcasting

earthlight

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least per ASOS reports, TTN was the jackpot with 0.50" liquid equivalent so far. Some stations to the west may have had more but the heated tipping buckets can lose some moisture when they are melting snow.

NYC official stations are all reporting .25"-.30" so far on their 6 hour report.

Will be interesting to see if the higher liquid models like the NAM/RGEM verify with their .50"-.75" output or the drier models like the GFS/UKIE/EURO with their .25"-.50" output.

Two things suck about living on Long Island, you don't do well in marginal snow setups and you have to deal with LIPA tongue.png

LI and the Boroughs are not doing well because the precip intensity is way too light. The parts of Jersey that got accumulating snow were due to the intensity of the precip.

My current temperature in Queens is 35 and has been stuck there for most of the day under light echoes. I've been sitting under 10-15dbz echoes for 3 hours.

Any heavy band, and the temp would drop at least 2-3 degrees and snow would accumulate.

If the two storms we have gotten in November happened in Dec, Jan, or Feb most in the area would have gotten 10"-15" from storm #1 and 3-6" with this one. For one hell of a month....2 storms have had their best precip in the cold sector directly over the area...

either it's bad timing or a hint of things to come...I think it's more to come....TWT...

Surprised! Left Perth Amboy, NJ (work) at 12:30PM, no accumulation. In Somerset County, NJ (Hillsborough - home), at least 3" of snow and still snowing lightly.

That is always a great surprize! About 1-1.5" here in Peapack at work and it has been snowing all day. Snow picked up again here, back up to moderate.

LI and the Boroughs are not doing well because the precip intensity is way too light. The parts of Jersey that got accumulating snow were due to the intensity of the precip.

My current temperature in Queens is 35 and has been stuck there for most of the day under light echoes. I've been sitting under 10-15dbz echoes for 3 hours.

Any heavy band, and the temp would drop at least 2-3 degrees and snow would accumulate.

In all honesty the intensity hasn't been anything more than moderate here for several hours and i'm up to about 2" on all surfaces here in Ramsey. I went out at lunch time and the back roads were slushy. 17 was clear as expected. It's just been a steady light snow with bursts of heavier precip. This is a marginal setup and Upton did an excellent job in forecasting basically no accumulation east of the city. So far that looks to be correct. Maybe at 7:00 tonight when that heavy band swings through on it's way out it could cool the column enough to give a quick heavy burst, but it won't last long.

You can go back and forth all you want, not every single event is going to be a bombing noreaster coming up the coast. I think people have gotten a little spoiled in recent years. People are just not satisified anymore with these nice advisory level snows.

Archived