• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Approaching Thanksgiving and the Rest of November

moneypitmike

Seems a pretty strong signal as Will said for a raw rainy week next week with strong East Northeast inflow. I wonder if interior Northern locales might in looking at a glazing event though. strong high with colder low dewpoint air up there. Something to watch, looks like the rest of us are toast right now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think it will be nearly impossible to wipe out the negative departures at most stations. BDR for instance had a pretty weak +5 yesterday and is still like -4.5 on the month...today will be more impressive but then we cool back down...there will even probably be some slight negative departures on a few days later this week.

We would need a big torch somewhere between next week and the week after to get positive on the month IMHO, and I just can't see it right now.

Yeah NYC was +8 yesterday, i was kind of surprised bdr was not higher. This was a very impressive cold shot for early november. NYC had 4 days straight of double digit departures. When was the last time that happen? Orh not getting out of the 30's for two straight days in early november, one of which was below frz.....impressive.....It was such a great change of pace, althought it was very poor timing after sandy.

With the GOA low, it will be tough getting big time cold in here. We'll have to wait until that eases, but the whole idea is that Aleutian ridge and climo slowly allowing the cold to ooze in here. As we stated yesterday, that whole pattern slowly gets "better" but zonal flow from the Canadian Rockies is not ideal at the moment. It probably will take time.

With the GOA low, it will be tough getting big time cold in here. We'll have to wait until that eases, but the whole idea is that Aleutian ridge and climo slowly allowing the cold to ooze in here. As we stated yesterday, that whole pattern slowly gets "better" but zonal flow from the Canadian Rockies is not ideal at the moment. It probably will take time.

Deja by? Same thing we were looking at last week

@RaleighWx: Although, New England could see some snow if the system is close enough to the coast. 00z ECMWF shows 2-8 inche from eastern NY into Maine.

This atmosphere isn't even close to last week. You are going to have to hope this bombs close to the coast.

This atmosphere isn't even close to last week. You are going to have to hope this bombs close to the coast.

If anything seems to me like I said before LL cold( I know Scott another fetish of mine) in NNE would lead to a glazing icy type solutions. The upper atmosphere is pretty warm and with a predominate east flow unless this gets in the 980 range close to the coast, willies are wet.

If anything seems to me like I said before LL cold( I know Scott another fetish of mine) in NNE would lead to a glazing icy type solutions. The upper atmosphere is pretty warm and with a predominate east flow unless this gets in the 980 range close to the coast, willies are wet.

Yeah it does try to bring in colder air from Maine, which is why if you're Kevin, there is a narrow window for snow. It's pretty warm upstairs...not impossinle for frozen, but rather borderline.

It's so far out there though...not worth entertaining as it still could be OTS.

I don't know about any of you guys but I'm getting concerned December won't have much winter in our part of the country. Thinking the west will hog it all. Certainly won't be like last winter but then again last winter barely had any snow.

From to extended range, I don't think it looks that bad. You can't expect above normal snow every December and how many times has the snow started closer to mid month? Is it ideal, no, but I don't think it looks bad here specifically. Maybe it regresses back to mild weather, but this pattern in December isn't particularly mild. If you want to keep an eye on something, watch the AK area. If we lose the ridge, then worry. People are extremely antsy and need to calm down and let everything unfold.

There isn't really any big sign for an epic December right now (even though Kevin insists on it), but I don't see a big torch sign either...despite torontoblizzard's worry with no reason given.

A poleward Aleutian ridge will probably produce a decent setup for us, but we walk a fine line if the Atlantic remains unfavorable.

There isn't really any big sign for an epic December right now (even though Kevin insists on it), but I don't see a big torch sign either...despite torontoblizzard's worry with no reason given.

A poleward Aleutian ridge will probably produce a decent setup for us, but we walk a fine line if the Atlantic remains unfavorable.

There lies the concern. If the atlantic is as it is right now we are screwed and it doesn't matter if we have a poleward Aleutian ridge as you say the ensembles have it. Now mind you I do recall the winter of 2007-08 where I did just fine (about 90'' to be exact) and the Atlantic was pretty bad but the PAC was pretty good with a nice Aleutian ridge if I recall correctly.

We may put up a +20F or higher today.... that would be incredibly impressive and right up LL's alley.

WOW is this a massive torch today... very dry air so the snow on the mountain is holding on, but just like our localized snow, we are now seeing some local torching in NW New England.

Check out this temperature map... I've got 66F at the house and 63F at 1,500ft base of the ski resort.

Its even 60F at 2,100ft and 53F at 4,000ft.

Looks like all of SNE and CNE/ENE are a good deal colder at this hour.

And can you say Warm Air Advection? The winds are absolutely ferocious on the mountain and quite gusty down low, too. 14:35 UTC saw a gust to 71mph at the summit station, and all morning we've seen consistent gusts over 60mph.

SW wind WAA coming in on a 40-60kt jet.

Powderfreak just keep the snowgun hoses locked in the utility shed. Hopefully we can get some natural snow up there before New Years.

lol... its quite startling how warm it got so fast today.

Check out MVL's obs... it was 35/33 at 8am...and 60/46 at 10am. That's nuts...25F ambient rise in 2 hours and 13F dew rise with it.

At this pace it'll be 85F by noon ;)

Its so early in the season though and I mean this year is just blowing last year away so far (guns hadn't even been turned on yet last year) so I'm not hanging myself yet. I'll wait with everyone else and if December goes to the trash then Jayhawk can add my face to the hole jumpers, lol.

Archived