amirah5
November Mid-Long Range Discussion

MillzPirate

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+SN

or +TSSN

I didn't look at the euro but the gfs wasn't cold for the east. Not warm or anything but it really pushed the cold airmass all the way down to almost mexico before starting to move it east.

Does the euro even show the big cold dump in the west or is it more aligned to drop out of the northern plains and move east?

or +TSSN

I didn't look at the euro but the gfs wasn't cold for the east. Not warm or anything but it really pushed the cold airmass all the way down to almost mexico before starting to move it east.

Does the euro even show the big cold dump in the west or is it more aligned to drop out of the northern plains and move east?

Euro has massive lake cutter 186 onward. Hate those things.

The Pac pattern on the euro from D6 and forward is pretty impressive in terms of dumping cold in the east....if it is right we could see some -5 to -10 departures by next weekend

Euro has massive lake cutter 186 onward. Hate those things.

Boy it sure does. Looks sub 990.

so much for our 2-3 day cold shot...we hit 70 in advance of the lakes cutter next wednesday

to me its a shame that you cant have models that, in general, have the same answer so that if you look at them , you dont have to question, ""is that right''. Just my point of view

Not sure that's possible. Seems to me to be a very complex process forecasting that far ahead. Reading from all of the pros and other really good posters on this forum has taught me two things. One, use ensembles in the long range, and two, there are large scale features that play a large part in sensible weather in the long range. Also, I've read that models have difficulty prior to pattern changes. I know the GFS seems to be a little back and forth in the long range lately, so I guess 7+ day forecasts have to be viewed cautiously especially if only looking at one model.

They shouldn't be consistent out there in the days 6 plus range. It's not the models it's the atmosphere....chaos rules

Except for MA heat. They are ridiculously good at nailing that. lol

I do think models get a bad rap in the LR. It's just not possible yet. One tiny little difference at day 2 can = large swings down the road. I think models are pretty amazing when you think about something as complicated as the atmosphere can be simulated so well today. They are really really new compared to the science as a whole. It will be interesting to see how good they are in 20 years. In 50 years they will be controlling the atmosphere so they will always be right. LOL

Last 2 runs of the gfs like the idea of a wave or slug riding up the boundary from the gulf. These types of setups really aren't that complicated and if it were deeper into the season it would be more interesting. I swear I remember getting more 1-3's - 2-4's from a shot of overrunning along a stalled boundary while growing up. Sometimes snow, sometimes rain, and sometimes ice.

Now it seems like we need a perfect coastal setup or a properly placed clipper or we get nothing. Am I wrong?

Anyways, here's hr 189 from 0z and 183 from 6z. Not super interesting or anything but this kind of thing can be 1-3 with the right thermal profile.

0z

6z

Last 2 runs of the gfs like the idea of a wave or slug riding up the boundary from the gulf. These types of setups really aren't that complicated and if it were deeper into the season it would be more interesting. I swear I remember getting more 1-3's - 2-4's from a shot of overrunning along a stalled boundary while growing up. Sometimes snow, sometimes rain, and sometimes ice.

Now it seems like we need a perfect coastal setup or a properly placed clipper or we get nothing. Am I wrong?

Anyways, here's hr 189 from 0z and 183 from 6z. Not super interesting or anything but this kind of thing can be 1-3 with the right thermal profile.

0z

6z

The overrunning component of storms like this always start to back off as we get closer in favor of some trash coastal that forms too far north or east for us.

The overrunning component of storms like this always start to back off as we get closer in favor of some trash coastal that forms too far north or east for us.

You're prob right. Do you agree with my obs about having fewer overrunning events? It seems like much fewer the last 5+ years but I may be mashing up a lot of childhood memories of the 70's and 80's. They are the simple ones. No nail biting, perfect timing, or anything like that. Just watch radar push the slug right through and then go sledding.

Archived