• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
GL/MW/OV December 2010 disco thread PART II

snowstormcanuck

Last weekend I was pumped about the next two storms. We ended up on the edge of this last one yet again and only got 1 inch and it looks like we may get very little or nothing with the xmas eve storm. The pattern this month has been very active and cold, but I've only gotten more than an inch once. I also wouldn't mind a pattern change.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched Bastardi's latest long ranger video and, while I think he is awful at forecasting specific storms, he tends to be better at predicting overall patterns. He explains how the GFS has consistently backed off from its call for a cold start to the new year and how this is indicative of the pattern change coming. The 6z GFS shows a blowtorch developing at a time when it was originally calling for a cold surge. Bastardi went on to explain how the coldest air in the world is being sent over to Asia, the far east and europe. It was a good video, for a change, even though I didn't like the message. It would seem that winter may be toast for us. It will be interesting to see if Ottawa and Montreal record an air temperature of -20 celcius this winter. We didn't in 2001-2002.

Model activity, after just a glance shows a veritable parade of lows coming through the GL out to the end of the GFS time frame. There is one on our about NYE/NYD, and then another one right after that, and then a third around the 7th of Jan, or so.

I have no idea what that means for the region, as far as precip goes. However, at this range the GFS puts the lows either over this area, or pulling a bit to the west. So, that could mean anything at this point. If anything can be taken from that, is that it looks like the pattern might get, and stay active for a bit

Trying to figure out what pattern constitutes a snowy one for mby. Top 10 snowiest months since 1999 imby and their associated teleconnections.

MM/YYYY.....SN.........ENSO.........NAO........AO.....PNA

Jan 1999....46.6".....La Nina......0.77.........0.11.....0.16

Feb 2008....35.5".....La Nina......0.73.........0.94.....0.50

Dec 2008....29.6"....La Nina......-0.28........0.65.....-1.41

Dec 2000....24.8"....La Nina......-0.58.......-2.53.....1.23

Jan 2004....23.3"......Neutral......-0.29.......-1.69.....0.41

Jan 2009....22.2"......La Nina.....-0.01........0.80.....0.61

Mar 2008....20.2".....La Nina.......0.08........0.59.....-0.32

Dec 2007...19.8".....La Nina.......0.34.........0.82.....0.14

Jan 2003....17.1".....El Nino.......0.16.........-0.45.....1.29

Dec 2005....16.5"....El Nino.......-0.44........-2.10.....1.38

Nina better than Nino, no surprise. NAO has to be neutral, AO also typically neutral/slightly positive, although there were some notable exceptions when it was negative, PNA tends to have to be neutral or positive.

Current pattern has tended to be -NAO/-AO/-PNA, which is a deadly bad combination. The times when -AO worked to my benefit, it was always accompanied by +PNA. I think +PNA promotes a bit of a SE ridge, which avoids the constant suppression.

I dunno. Weenie moment. Bash me all you want, but the GFS may be on to something. Then again it may be out to lunch as usual. But in the long range it is setting up an El Nino pattern, with a low over the Aluetians, west coast ridge, and a high in eastern Canada, which would deliver some seriously cold air all the way to Texas, deliver frigid air to me, and ride storms thru the Ohio Vally/apps. Am I seeing this wrong? The bomb it is showing is the pattern changer for sure...

Go ahead, bash away. I just want some input.

Edit: High Pressure over the Davis Straights...

Edit #2: Never mnd, we are all going to torch in January, what was I thinking...

Btw, I was just looking at the Daily climo report for today, and i noticed we are at 9.1" of snow for the month here at DTW, if we somehow manage to make it to the end of the month above normal with how bad the blocking has been this month it really will be something.

Also 18z GFS coming out with what will probably be a severe weather maker potentially with the amount of warm air that will pumped up in front of the system as it ejects out Colorado.

6 years ago...this puppy was underway. The western edge on this map is a little too far east, as we picked up 4" here, but nonetheless, a historic snowstorm for some.

fs23dec2004image.gif

i remember that one well....7" followed by one hell of an icestorm. Got very cold afterwards well into xmas time so the ice and snow stayed put making it the most incredible xmas scenes we ever had here.

Archived