e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
GL/MW/OV December 2010 disco thread PART II

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to do a 1pm core sample of the snowpack today (you are supposed to round this to nearest tenth not hundredth), still ~0.6" water content here. Looks like isolated areas in MN have 3-4"+ water content in their snow :o

It looks quite insane here in Southern MN, The scary part is this all has to go somewhere when it melts...and we are not even into January.

I sure hope something changes with the new year. It can't get much worse than looking forward to this:

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. North wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 29. North wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. North wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 27. North wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19.

Christmas Day: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13.

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 25.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10.

Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 24

It is gorgeous outside right now! Totally surprised at how heavy this snow is (was expecting flurries). Huge flakes. Will probably end up with an inch of snow, had 0.6" thru 8 am. Snow depth creeping back towards 6". It is a complete winter wonderland, no more dirty snowbanks on the sides of the road, they are white again :thumbsup:

:facepalm:

Can I have the block back?

I'm probably in the minority, but the block has been good for my area...I'll be a little sad to see it go. :ducks:

But I also understand the frustration with it. Oh well, I'll savor what I got and what I have, as it looks like my snowpack is going bye bye sometime in the near future (past day 7). Hopefully the fun, for all, returns at some point...

6 years ago...this puppy was underway. The western edge on this map is a little too far east, as we picked up 4" here, but nonetheless, a historic snowstorm for some.

fs23dec2004image.gif

Major win for the SE trend with that storm. 12z GFS on the 19th had a massive ORD-MKE hit. Gradually shifted E from there. Don't remember what the EURO depicted. It probably had the right idea all the way. :lol:

And that map's a little off. I had more than 2" (7.5" plus a 1/3" of ice) and I don't think SE MI was over 15". Josh IIRC had about 8-9".

Major win for the SE trend with that storm. 12z GFS on the 19th had a massive ORD-MKE hit. Gradually shifted E from there. Don't remember what the EURO depicted. It probably had the right idea all the way. :lol:

And that map's a little off. I had more than 2" (7.5" plus a 1/3" of ice) and I don't think SE MI was over 15". Josh IIRC had about 8-9".

Yeah the map is a little off. Even though we got some here, a somewhat agonizing "miss" for LAF. Where was the last minute NW trend when I needed it? :arrowhead::lol:

I've noticed the GFS the past few runs has done away with the cold and now looks mild for the beginning of January. I'd love a few sunny mid 30F days just to melt off the roads/driveway and melt some of the glacier that remains on my roof.

Over in Rochester they are having a few roofs collapsing from the weight of the snow.

Start of the year looks like a nightmare for snow lovers, but gives a glimmer of hope for those who like severe weather.

But, height patterns after the demise of the block suggest that the Bering ridge will retrograde into Siberia, and the Scandinavian ridge will progress eastward, putting the main PV on our side of the globe. Both the GFS and EC ensembles (and their OP runs) support a split PV, one over N. Canada, the other over Alaska and into the GoA. This would support a ridge over the west coast. EC hints at energy being able to undercut the ridge (and thus, perhaps, being able to set up a Rex pattern), but we'll see.

Archived