EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
GL/MW/OV December 2010 disco thread PART II

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some light snow this morning. Looks like snow showers on radar (because it is), but falls more like a sugar synoptic snow. Normally i would say I'd like a few inches of snow to freshen up the snowpack, but in this case I will say I'd like a few inches to add depth to the snowpack. Our snowstorm was one week ago and I cant believe how fresh the snow still looks. I was at a party in Clinton Twp last night (n of Detroit) and it looked like they had a little less snow. Our current settled snow depth is 5" (really 4-6"), with a water content of about 0.5-0.6". So it will take more than a few mid-upper 30s days to rid this (though that would definitely take the fresh look away), so if THAT is what we have to have to get rid of the block, I guess I could deal lol.

Tuesday storm still a big wtf with the models...thinking 2 inches here.

Wind is dead calm here, and when combined with clear skies we are having ideal radiational cooling. At 1 above zero. Our lowest reading of the season so far of -4 is probably in jeopardy.

Hahaha, man was I wrong. The temp never dropped another degree. Our low was 1 above. Not sure if clouds rolled in or what, but temps actually rose a few degrees by sunrise.

Beautiful morning here. Temps right around 11F and full sun. Not much wind. Perfect day for doing any outdoor activities.

More snow on the way. This should put us near the snowiest December's on record.

it certainly is. sunny, 15F, and a light wind here.

it's great; i gotta start prepping the cross-country skis.

Picked up 0.2" of snow today, first measurable snow in a week. Nevertheless, its been a cold week with a nice 5-6" snowpack that managed to stay fresh and even a week after the storm some conifers still hold snow. As annoying as the block is overall, this is pretty much picture perfect for the 2 weeks leading up to Christmas.

Fresh 0.1" here this morning. Slowly working towards 10" for the season, which considering this brutal blocking, is really incredible.

Im not all that knowlegable on exactly what blocking can do to us, but I certainly get the jest that it is nothing but trouble. Yet I look outside at a nice blanket of snow covering everything Christmas week, and think, whats so bad about this!? I always try to use the climo perspective. For Detroit, December is WAY colder than normal, snowfall is a little above normal to date, and there is a nice snowpack in place. I can live with that. And from what little I know about the block, it supposedly is supposed to be very bad for MI snowlovers, yet its not as if this block has placed us in some sort of screw-hole, because outside of the insane snow depths in MN/WI and the snowbelts, we have as much or more snow on the ground than most of the rest of the midwest/New England. To top it all off, Bill Deedler, a very good met at DTX, sees this winter as being back-loaded. So while Im definitely ticked that tomorrow looks like a no-go and the Christmas storm is still VERY up in the air, I can certainly live with the block and the winter wonderland I have for Christmas, while waiting for the bigger/better things once this block leaves.

Fresh 0.1" here this morning. Slowly working towards 10" for the season, which considering this brutal blocking, is really incredible.

It's been sort of a bizarro start to the season. Fortunately for MBY, we've been in the right place at the right time for most of these hybrid clipper systems. I'm going to soak it up right now, because one truly never knows what the future holds.

Im not all that knowlegable on exactly what blocking can do to us, but I certainly get the jest that it is nothing but trouble. Yet I look outside at a nice blanket of snow covering everything Christmas week, and think, whats so bad about this!? I always try to use the climo perspective. For Detroit, December is WAY colder than normal, snowfall is a little above normal to date, and there is a nice snowpack in place. I can live with that. And from what little I know about the block, it supposedly is supposed to be very bad for MI snowlovers, yet its not as if this block has placed us in some sort of screw-hole, because outside of the insane snow depths in MN/WI and the snowbelts, we have as much or more snow on the ground than most of the rest of the midwest/New England. To top it all off, Bill Deedler, a very good met at DTX, sees this winter as being back-loaded. So while Im definitely ticked that tomorrow looks like a no-go and the Christmas storm is still VERY up in the air, I can certainly live with the block and the winter wonderland I have for Christmas, while waiting for the bigger/better things once this block leaves.

Good perspective Josh. If this is the worst winter has to offer, then we're in great shape the rest of the way. And some folks in New England are still sitting on a trace for the season, so there's no reason to complain even though the epicenter of action has been further west.

Anyone seen the end of the 6z GFS??? Polar Vortex incoming!!! -37F???? WTF?

Yeah, I love that map...I'll conveniently ignore the fact that it's two weeks out. :lightning:

In the end, I hope that the Siberian air starts making a move toward this side of the pole. If anything, the past few GFS runs have hinted at this...that would be the first baby steps before getting the PV to drop in to the U.S. somewhere.

Even though it has been chilly in the midwest in Dec, it's rather remarkable to think that the core of the PV/Siberian air has actually reamined on the other side of the pole the entire time.

It's been sort of a bizarro start to the season. Fortunately for MBY, we've been in the right place at the right time for most of these hybrid clipper systems. I'm going to soak it up right now, because one truly never knows what the future holds.

No doubt.. I'm sure our luck will eventually run out.. :P

Though the 12z GFS definitely looks like the cold will be sticking around ..

Hi Josh,

Like you said, it's all about perspective. Here in the snowbelt of Western Michigan, the pattern has been awful. The blocking has caused mostly north winds, which has pretty much kept most of the lake effect snow away from us and into Indiana. It's cool that they are getting it...just gets a little old when it happens over and over again...and then when the wind shifts for us to get some lake effect, there's no moisture and forcing left. Synoptically, most of southwest lower Michigan has had less than 3 to 5 inches of synoptic snow (many spots closer to the 3) and the lake effect, as mentioned, has been pretty nil. It just hasn't been working out. Northern and eastern parts of lower Michigan have been making out far better than this area. I'm glad you have a nice snowpack :), but many in the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo area barely have any. So I guess it's just who you talk to from Michigan...we're definitely behind in our normal snowfall. Very much like last winter...if not worse.

Hi Josh,

Like you said, it's all about perspective. Here in the snowbelt of Western Michigan, the pattern has been awful. The blocking has caused mostly north winds, which has pretty much kept most of the lake effect snow away from us and into Indiana. It's cool that they are getting it...just gets a little old when it happens over and over again...and then when the wind shifts for us to get some lake effect, there's no moisture and forcing left. Synoptically, most of southwest lower Michigan has had less than 3 to 5 inches of synoptic snow (many spots closer to the 3) and the lake effect, as mentioned, has been pretty nil. It just hasn't been working out. Northern and eastern parts of lower Michigan have been making out far better than this area. I'm glad you have a nice snowpack :), but many in the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo area barely have any. So I guess it's just who you talk to from Michigan...we're definitely behind in our normal snowfall. Very much like last winter...if not worse.

Trust me, it will change. Dont write off tomorrow for western MI (we pretty much can for eastern MI), and no one anywhere should be writing off the Christmas storm yet.

BTW, it is 31F right now, cant believe how warm it feels and how bad the models busted (was supposed to be a high of 26F). Hear some dripping.

Had a lazy night, so after I watched "A Christmas Story" I decided to go out and do some snow depth readings around the neighborhood just to see if theyve changed any with todays 31F, and they havent. Depth is 5". Most spots come out at 5", then there are a handful of 4" and 6" areas, so depth is pretty simple (5"). I found a few spots under large trees that are as low as 3", but equally a few spots as high as 7", but those were few. Depth was 6" the first 3 days after the storm, and 5" ever since, its rare to see snow depth hold so solid with no new snow, but I guess thats what high water content snow will do. Been a BORING weather week, but nice landscape for Christmas.

Archived