Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late October/Early November disco and banter thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it doesn't look like the type of pattern to get you in the holiday spirit

It will probably feature some intrusions of colder air, and some signs of a possible coastal low near or after day10. I don't think it looks bad if expectations are reasonable. It's not a torch pattern, even if a storm moves briefly west of us. It may end up a little above in the 11-15 day, but the pattern for now is ok with me.

hotdog.gifhotdog.gif

Double bunner morning in NNE...that first morning when you wake up and look outside and see white when you aren't expecting it.

Light snow with vis at times down to 1sm or less. First accumulating snowfall at my house and at the village elevation of 750ft.

Snow globe half-dollar sized dendrites continue to get ripped out of the clouds as they pass over the mountain.

Nice messenger!

Ripping out here, too. Solid moderate snow... may be getting close to 1/4sm +SN in this squall now.

That's a weee bit more impressive than my snow PF! We've still got flakes falling but it's just flurries now. Temp still dropping. Cool to see, I think this is the earliest day snow I can remember in quite some time...maybe ever here.

as usual you were on this threat weeks ago. Biggest irony is Sandy being the 50/50 low. Just shaking my head what has and is going to happen.

This was one of those situations where all of the long range indicators converged nicely for a solution that favored a nor'easter and the potential for a sufficient cold air source. I'll start looking down the road soon and try to sniff out something for us. ;)

I too am shaking my head at what possibly could happen with Sandy but also couldn't possibly make an accurate guess. Not only is the forecast picture low confidence but we've never had a situation quite like this. There will be a narrow zone of limited power outage potential where the precip is mainly in the form of rain (some mixing) and the wind isn't very strong. But the snow zone and the wind zone near the coast associated with this storm will produce more power outages for sure.

This was one of those situations where all of the long range indicators converged nicely for a solution that favored a nor'easter and the potential for a sufficient cold air source. I'll start looking down the road soon and try to sniff out something for us. wink.png

I too am shaking my head at what possibly could happen with Sandy but also couldn't possibly make an accurate guess. Not only is the forecast picture low confidence but we've never had a situation quite like this. There will be a narrow zone of limited power outage potential where the precip is mainly in the form of rain (some mixing) and the wind isn't very strong. But the snow zone and the wind zone near the coast associated with this storm will produce more power outages for sure.

Maybe we wait until this next AAM spike is done migrating north and perhaps we emerge out of the MJO COD into more favorable phases.

Feeling more confident that the back half of November will see above normal temps in the East. Maybe like +3-5 averaged.

Pretty strong -PNA modeled, but New England seems like a wild card with the cold just over the border. You think that warm even up here?

I'm thinking Novie is on the plus side here, but I didn't expect +3-5 here..maybe MA or SE.

Pretty strong -PNA modeled, but New England seems like a wild card with the cold just over the border. You think that warm even up here?

I'm thinking Novie is on the plus side here, but I didn't expect +3-5 here..maybe MA or SE.

I don't know your climo at all, so I should probably be quiet wrt specific anomalies, but P4-5-6 will be warm for the East in general.

I don't know your climo at all, so I should probably be quiet wrt specific anomalies, but P4-5-6 will be warm for the East in general.

I don't have any forecasts out or anything, so your guess is just as valid. Those phases are warm for the east...I guess it just depends on how that Aleutian ridge manifests. Sometimes they want to leak cold at our latitude, but if it remains weaker or less of a poleward push, than I could see a warm pattern. The whole look is very Nina-like. It will be hella cold out west, that's for sure.

I know you've been dropping hints about the winter from time to time but what are your thoughts on the late November into December time frame?

Sorry, I missed this post. This time frame will see things trend back to a colder state again from what I can tell.

1. General decline in solar activity after mid-month spike

2. MJO wave will propagate into phase 7-8-1

3. Lower/remote stratospheric wave breaking being modeled next couple of weeks will begin to perturb the vortex again

4. Analogs favor this period to trend cooler

So I guess December 5th will be our next snowstorm threat, haha.

Sorry, I missed this post. This time frame will see things trend back to a colder state again from what I can tell.

1. General decline in solar activity after mid-month spike

2. MJO wave will propagate into phase 7-8-1

3. Lower/remote stratospheric wave breaking being modeled next couple of weeks will begin to perturb the vortex again

4. Analogs favor this period to trend cooler

So I guess December 5th will be our next snowstorm threat, haha.

lol

lol

And while we joke around, it actually has some legitimacy too. Basically, we've been on a very predictable monthly frequency in the jet stream centered around the 27-day solar rotation and its interaction with the tropics (and vice versa). So we may potentially be looking at another threat in a month.

As for terminology, I should say for "remote" that the source of the lower stratospheric warming will be in lower latitudes and will move poleward as it propagates around the NH. The actual wave break may be internal and not "remote" so I just wanted to clarify that which means stratospheric predictability will be a little tougher than usual. The disturbances that cause a potential vortex disruption will likely be below the radar at first.

I don't have any forecasts out or anything, so your guess is just as valid. Those phases are warm for the east...I guess it just depends on how that Aleutian ridge manifests. Sometimes they want to leak cold at our latitude, but if it remains weaker or less of a poleward push, than I could see a warm pattern. The whole look is very Nina-like. It will be hella cold out west, that's for sure.

It appears that, for strictly New England, the "La Niña phases" of 3-6 get relatively warmer the deeper into the cold season we go. Of course, this orbit is coming during a time when we are transitioning to winter and things aren't as clear cut in terms of wavelengths.

You can get a sense of this in the CPC maps too when you go through the seasonal periods SON, OND, NDJ.

It appears that, for strictly New England, the "La Niña phases" of 3-6 get relatively warmer the deeper into the cold season we go. Of course, this orbit is coming during a time when we are transitioning to winter and things aren't as clear cut in terms of wavelengths.

You can get a sense of this in the CPC maps too when you go through the seasonal periods SON, OND, NDJ.

Oh yeah for sure and it makes sense as wavelengths broaden. I also think that Aleutian ridge may not be able to get the cold in here for now as wavelengths are adjusting and snow pack in srn Canada is building. However, it sometimes like to sneak in here and may cause some sort of CAD signal if we have lows approaching from the south. So while I think November may edge warmer than normal...I just don't know by how much. I think this area would probably do ok a month or two from now with this pattern, but I'm just speculating.

Oh yeah for sure and it makes sense as wavelengths broaden. I also think that Aleutian ridge may not be able to get the cold in here for now as wavelengths are adjusting and snow pack in srn Canada is building. However, it sometimes like to sneak in here and may cause some sort of CAD signal if we have lows approaching from the south. So while I think November may edge warmer than normal...I just don't know by how much. I think this area would probably do ok a month or two from now with this pattern, but I'm just speculating.

I agree with what you are saying. This pattern in the next 2 weeks seems like a case where you will get a day or two of good positive departures but the rest are closer to normal (in a weekly period). You are right that this pattern wouldn't be that bad for you guys in the winter and the availability of the cold air is certainly key.

The trough may revisit our area toward the end of the month / early December so I say enjoy the November break.

Archived