• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Top weather events of 2010

Hoosier

In Arizona, the top 10 list is sure to include the intense storm of January 21-26 with the record low pressure, dust storms, a tornado watch and at least one tornado, winds of 90+ mph with low topped boomers. Also included will be the severe weather event of October 5-6 which brough baseball hail to the Phoenix area and during which FGZ issued 23 radar based tornado warnings of which 8 were confirmed (a record for a single day in AZ) and had 2 tornadoes pass within a mile of their office.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I love all meteorology, but I love nothing more than a big synoptic scale storm. For me, it is a tie between the December Blizzard and the Octobomb. Octobomb 955 hpa was pure synoptic beauty, and it was even more amazing since it happened in October with no snowpack. The mention of the snow less March is also amazing given March is the snowiest March for the Twin Cities.

I could probably due a Top 10 of my personal favorite but I will just start off from January and go to the end of this year..

my first one would have to be going over and documenting my first LES event in nw IN and sw MI on 1/1 and 1/2. It was insane and we were getting 3"/hr in the main part of the band late that evening right off the highway in MI and were up most of the night driving around in it and getting into the heaviest bands (amazing how +SN for hours will not make you tired)

the next morning we were in a burger king from the time in opened at 6am till that afternoon relaxing and going in and out of heavy bands of snow.

here is a video I shot from that BK in Watervliet, MI of very heavy LES

Environment Canada has released the top 10 events 2010 edition, with runner ups.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=53E29740-1

1. Spring Weather for the Olympic Winter Games
  2. Vigorous Igor
  3. From Dry to Drenched on the Prairies
  4. Canada’s a “Hottie”!
  5. Storm for the Ages: “Flurries”, Fury and Floods
  6. Saskatchewan’s Summer of Storms
  7. British Columbia Forest Fires…Costly and Smoky
  8. El Niño Cancels Winter
  9. Freak Canada-U.S. "Weather Bomb"
 10. Canada’s Most Expensive Hailstorm

Runner-Up Weather Stories 2010 (Chronological order)

* Avalanches
* Ice-Free Atlantic Canada
* Four Prairie Whitewashers in Four Weeks
* Lake Waters – How Low (and Warm) Can They Go?
* June Rains Swamp Southwestern Prairies
* Manitoba Floods … Summer not Spring
* Eastern Canada’s Summer of Summers…
* …and Perfect Weather Down on the Farm
* Leamington and Midland Tornadoes
* Outside B.C…A Quiet Wildfire Season
* “Monsoon” Rains Flood B.C. Coast
* Winter Hits Alberta and B.C. Early and Hard
* "Weather Bombs" and Nor’easters Explode Over the Gulf of St. Lawrence
* London’s Snowmagaddon

1. Least snowiest winter on record, 2009-10

2. First March with no measurable snow

3. Torrential June rains

Nothing else was really newsworthy, IMBY. Thought about including the summer heat, but it was pretty mediocre, despite all the media hype. It just seemed hotter because the previous two summers were cool and damp.

1. Least snowiest winter on record, 2009-10

2. First March with no measurable snow

3. Torrential June rains

Nothing else was really newsworthy, IMBY. Thought about including the summer heat, but it was pretty mediocre, despite all the media hype. It just seemed hotter because the previous two summers were cool and damp.

Did you have any tornadoes on your side of the lake?

as luck would have it, i missed all the single events on MPX's top five list. the severe weather season was memorable, but the snowless march sticks out for me. to have pretty much the entire state go without the white stuff during the snowiest month is incredible. it felt like winter ended way too early.

outside of my time in MN, personally the biggest events have been the extreme drought in southeast texas and the flooding from hermine, the first tropical system i've been in.

Did you have any tornadoes on your side of the lake?

There were nine confirmed tornadoes in Ontario in 2010, the average is fourteen per year.

Of those nine, five occurred on June 5-6, three in one county alone. Of the remaining four, three tornadoes occurred on June 23 spread out over three counties, including one in the county ravaged by the June 6th tornadoes. Then, a brief tornado occurred on July 23. It was an extremely slow year severe weather wise in Ontario. No tornadoes in April, May, August, or September. Barely any severe thunderstorms, either.

These figures may be off, there isn't always official confirmation statements.

There were nine confirmed tornadoes in Ontario in 2010, the average is fourteen per year.

Of those nine, five occurred on June 5-6, three in one county alone. Of the remaining four, three tornadoes occurred on June 23 spread out over three counties, including one in the county ravaged by the June 6th tornadoes. Then, a brief tornado occurred on July 23. It was an extremely slow year severe weather wise in Ontario. No tornadoes in April, May, August, or September. Barely any severe thunderstorms, either.

These figures may be off, there isn't always official confirmation statements.

Thanks. Even though it may not be official, it sounds like you have a good handle on the events in 2010 in Ontario. Sounds like a slow severe season up there.

For here off the top of my head..

snowiest Feb ever at KBTL

Snowfall of under a inch in March marking the first back to back Marches with a inch or less of snowfall.

June 6th Tornado/severe weather

Record rainfall in July with over 10" inches of rainfall making for the wettest July ever ( Old record was set just 2 years prior in July 2008 ) and the second wettest month ever at KBTL.

I have to agree about this past summer. While we did have consistent/above average warmth (80s), it wasn't erally anything amazing relative to climo.

What really didn't settle well with me was the excessive cloud cover. 2010 for me will go down as convective debris summer. With exception to the late August/early September heatwave (which to me is equivalent to a March snowstorm, AKA a bittersweet feeling, because it wasn't the same as a sunny June heatwave or it wasn't the same as a January blizzard), it seemed as if nearly everyday featured cirrostratus blowoff from upstream MCS, stratocumulus from all the tropical moisture or both. Virtually it ended up dampening what could have been an even stormier and hotter summer. Besides, summer heat and storms simply are not the same on cloudy summer days.

For this region I would say the top weather events are...

1. The abrupt end to winter and snowless MArch/April on record

2. Now what was impressive relative to climo was the oppressively warm spring (although it was mostly centered around late April/early May).

3. The september high wind storm and ht elast 80*F day (88*f) that caused widespread fires in a Detroitr neighborhood.

4. The entire month of January featuring a 12"+ deep snowpack.

And that's about it really.

Powerball..u thinking of Jan 2009 with the 12"+ snowpack monthlong?

For me Id say....

1.) The tornado outbreaks in Detroits southern suburbs in June

2.) Warm spring (Detroits warmest MAM on record, 53.1F)

3.) The heavy February snowfall (27.0" at DTW which is 5th snowiest Feb on record, 28.5" imby)

4.) Such a hot summer (4th warmest on record) without aid of a 95F+ temp.

5.) Abrupt shift from snowy Feb to snowless Mar

6.) The non-budging snow depth of December

Powerball..u thinking of Jan 2009 with the 12"+ snowpack monthlong?

For me Id say....

1.) The tornado outbreaks in Detroits southern suburbs in June

2.) Warm spring (Detroits warmest MAM on record, 53.1F)

3.) The heavy February snowfall (27.0" at DTW which is 5th snowiest Feb on record, 28.5" imby)

4.) Such a hot summer (4th warmest on record) without aid of a 95F+ temp.

5.) Abrupt shift from snowy Feb to snowless Mar

6.) The non-budging snow depth of December

Guess i could have mentioned that and thus the constant snowcover here which was a first for me since i moved here. From about Dec 8th till March 10th the ground had atleast a inch or more except on Christmas day of all days which did have rain though.

Also only one day below zero which was -1 on January 3rd despite the lack of any torching.

Working up a summary myself. Here is the blog with some ideas and either today (Sat. 1/1/2010) or tomorrow I'll have a full worked up blog with details of the top events for 2010. It'll be more editorial style since I'm not a met. However, I may be able to get Ellinwood to write up some of the meteorological side and make it an even better blog and post that on MAD US Weather.

Archived