Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Hurricane Sandy - LIVE - Meteorological Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure they got a launch in. Extra gas, a short flight train, and a little room to run. wink.png

just wondering, given the power problems, the flooding, and everyone talking about the wind profile here as seen so far by the planes. would be nice to see that on a sounding, more from a future looking back type of way. especially one from ACY.

Well, I'm going to drop my Tropical Dude snotty act for a sec and say, wow-- looks like NYC is gettin' rocked by this.

OK, maybe it's not a hurricane, but it's some storm. Even my mother-- who is not a weather nerd and typically dismisses hurricane threats-- is like WTF? She lives in a solid old brownstone on the Upper West Side and she says she can feel the wind coming through the door-- the force of it-- and she can hear it roaring. Crazy.

It's hardly raining-- it's this non-convective backside.

Usually NYC gets off easy because they're on the weaker side of N-moving 'canes hitting Long Island; this time, the track into NJ is putting NYC in the azz-rape quadrant-- and they're gettin' it.

POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012

800 PM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

...POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY MAKES LANDFALL ALONG THE COAST

OF SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY...

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...39.4N 74.5W

ABOUT 5 MI...10 KM SW OF ATLANTIC CITY NEW JERSEY

ABOUT 40 MI...65 KM NE OF CAPE MAY NEW JERSEY

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...80 MPH...130 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 23 MPH...37 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.93 INCHES

SURFACE...RADAR...AND AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT

DATA INDICATE THAT POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY MADE LANDFALL NEAR

ATLANTIC CITY NEW JERSEY AROUND 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...WITH

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS OF 80 MPH...130 KM/H.

My overall impression is that the right backside of the cyclone, despite having no convection, is bringing the most serious effects in terms of both damaging winds and also sudden surging along the coast.

Really amazing how well this was forecasted by the models

Agreed, models were hinting at a sort of "hybrid" sting jet wrapping around the northern edge of the low...the GFS was especially skillful in forecasting it. NAM never had a clue.

are they going to be able to get the soundings up in OXK? and do they have any spare equipment to do it there at ACY? or has that been out of ACY for a while?

I hope they do, I really want to see what the stability profile looks like over LI. I think there are arguments toward a legitimate full on sting jet that has completely wrapped around the N edge of the low. It very may have happened in the past, but I don't if it has ever been documented. Incredibly rare.

are they going to be able to get the soundings up in OXK? and do they have any spare equipment to do it there at ACY? or has that been out of ACY for a while?

I hope they do, I really want to see what the stability profile looks like over LI. I think there are arguments toward a legitimate full on sting jet that has completely wrapped around the N edge of the low. It very may have happened in the past, but I don't if it has ever been documented. Incredibly rare.

KOKX.skewt.20121030.00.gif

I noticed the same thing happen when Ike struck Houston in 2008. The western eyewall had the most convection, which raked through Houston downtown and westward. On the east side of the eye, there were hardly any convection but there were higher winds and storm surge - some coastal towns were simply wiped off the map. I don't think anyone documented this either, but I did notice.

KOKX.skewt.20121030.00.gif

I noticed the same thing happen when Ike struck Houston in 2008. The western eyewall had the most convection, which raked through Houston downtown and westward. On the east side of the eye, there were hardly any convection but there were higher winds and storm surge - some coastal towns were simply wiped off the map. I don't think anyone documented this either, but I did notice.

Impressive. Comparison to CHH just to the north. 95% of the time coastal front will look just like CHH on a sounding.

post-999-0-21729900-1351560342_thumb.gif

So what were the peak sustained (1-min) and gusts at EWR, JFK, LGA, and ISP? Does anyone have quick access to those data?

Really impressive cyclone for this region-- to have all these stations reporting hurricane gusts-- not to mention the epic flooding in NYC and elsewhere. I think just as an honorary move, in postanalysis they should call this a hurricane landfall.

So what were the peak sustained (1-min) and gusts at EWR, JFK, LGA, and ISP? Does anyone have quick access to those data?

Really impressive cyclone for this region-- to have all these stations reporting hurricane gusts-- not to mention the epic flooding in NYC and elsewhere. I think just as an honorary move, in postanalysis they should call this a hurricane landfall.

JFK W: 53 G: 79

LGA W: 56 G: 71

EWR W: 46 G: 78

ISP W: 45 G: 82 (!)

Right side of page: http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/surface/

What frustrates me is that ASOS reports 2min sustained winds, which makes it a little harder to compare to the advisory 1 min winds.

that dry patch between 600 and 400 is rather nasty-looking. looks like the same layer that was seen a couple of days ago in the florida panhandle and southern georgia.

I believe that what you're seeing there is corrupt data. The sonde was wet, and it froze up not long after rising above the freeze level.

Well the NHC report on Sandy is going to be extremely interesting. Wonder when they declare it post-tropical. I guess you could make the argument that it was PT at 5 pm on 10/29 based on lack of a core. I know it was right next to the coast at the time, and people might accuse them of trying to cover their butts since they never issued warnings, but I can understand the reasoning. I guess this debate will be argued in the Met community for a while because it is such a grey area since the storm was a hybrid and not purely tropical once it began interacting with the trough.

If only there was some meteorological organization that the world used as a standard...

Omg, are you trolling me? biggrin.png

I just think in the USA things should be standardized.

Well the NHC report on Sandy is going to be extremely interesting. Wonder when they declare it post-tropical. I guess you could make the argument that it was PT at 5 pm on 10/29 based on lack of a core. I know it was right next to the coast at the time, and people might accuse them of trying to cover their butts since they never issued warnings, but I can understand the reasoning. I guess this debate will be argued in the Met community for a while because it is such a grey area since the storm was a hybrid and not purely tropical once it began interacting with the trough.

I'm very curious as well. It is going to be interesting. In terms of the forecast, the NHC absolutely nailed this; they did great.

Re: the landfall classification... I hate to seem unscientific, but, given that it struck with such ferocity, it seems a shame that it might not be considered an official hurricane landfall for NJ. I know, I know-- that's not what decides it...

I'm hearing Sandy came ashore just south of AC, but it almost looks like there were two centers of circulation. You can see a little pin dot on the IR, come ashore, maybe the old cane, but then it looks like there is a giant center of circulation, right behind it. Seems like the northern NJ beaches got it much worse than us down here in the south, relatively speaking. That would make sense, since they were on the northern side of this center. I wonder what will count as landfall.

Archived