• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Hurricane Sandy - LIVE - Meteorological Discussion

This storm is weird. Watching both the Philly and NYC ABC stations, there are places where it is much, much, much worse than Irene. There are also places where it isn't as bad.

Different storms, different attitudes.

We chased Irene on Long Island. Same latitude.

But that's beside the point. He's just saying he's not seeing much. But the wind data coming in seem to suggest it's worse than Irene.

The winds, at least in NYC, are a lot more impressive now than with Irene.

I'd believe that, as I was really surprised by the lack of wind in Brooklyn/Queens/Long Island during Irene.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the center is on shore, but the whole structure really collapsed in those final hours, so it's hard to tell.

The NHC Discussion strongly hints that this is no longer a tropical cyclone-- that they're keeping it as a hurricane now for operational continuity, but will reclassify it post-season.

post-19-0-80826700-1351549511_thumb.png

Check out the OKX loop. Back side rain bands coming.

Winds increasing here in northeast Ohio. Sustained 20 to 30 mph most places with higher gusts. A buoy over Lake Erie has been reporting sustained winds of 40 to 45 mph for the last couple of hours, with gusts to 50+ mph. Pretty impressive to see tropical storm conditions over Lake Erie with the center of circulation just now moving into South Jersey.

Impressive MAUL (Moist Absolutely Unstable Layer) setting up near the surface that's driving a lot of those wind reports as well as the new convective bands on the east side. That MAUL is a result of the cold air undercutting the warm, tropical air around 800mb or so. The last recon showing the temp rise from 2C to 19C was a great illustration of the warm core literally being occluded.

Maybe in terms of precipitation....the backside wind seems just as bad if not a lot worse than the front side. Check the NYC subforum...sounds really intense.

Funny you posted this, because 1) my friend on the Island reports the winds have picked up and 2) Islip has seen a very recent spike.

And this reminds me that in Gloria, JFK and LGA had their strongest winds after the center passed and the sky was actually clearing. (Where I was on W Long Island, we had our strongest and most-damaging winds on the front side, right before the eye.)

Winds increasing here in northeast Ohio. Sustained 20 to 30 mph most places with higher gusts. A buoy over Lake Erie has been reporting sustained winds of 40 to 45 mph for the last couple of hours, with gusts to 50+ mph. Pretty impressive to see tropical storm conditions over Lake Erie with the center of circulation just now moving into South Jersey.

We recently had a gust of 54 mph in Oswego, NY along the shore of Lake Ontario.

Wind not as significant at my location yet however heavy rain is occuring. Filed a brief video...you can see it's cold, gusty and rainy.

It has very clearly lost all its convection over the center, which was really the only thing keeping it from being called an extratropical storm. I think the NHC has nailed the classification so far... as well as anyone can for such a hybridized storm.

I think it's more post-tropical, I agree with that. Although the mixing of warm/cold core is an interesting case for reanalysis. One for the record books.

It has very clearly lost all its convection over the center, which was really the only thing keeping it from being called an extratropical storm. I think the NHC has nailed the classification so far... as well as anyone can for such a hybridized storm.

Yep, totally agree

Interesting that the backside winds over NYC/Long Island are apparently quite strong, despite the lack of convection or rain. They're apparently a bit destructive. Islip had a gust over 70 kt.

I wonder if it has something to do with the southeasterly flow drawing in warm, moist air from the tropics near the surface along with increased mixing heights.

Archived