joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy - LIVE - Meteorological Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. That might be enough for an update to Cat 2

We'll see what they decide to do... its continues to be fascinating that these highest winds are occurring in a region of slantwise convection, in that the convective towers are slanted from NE at the surface to SW aloft. This is resulting is relatively low flight level winds over some of these higher surface wind reports.

We'll see what they decide to do... its continues to be fascinating that these highest winds are occurring in a region of slantwise convection, in that the convective towers are slanted from NE at the surface to SW aloft. This is resulting is relatively low flight level winds over some of these higher surface wind reports.

Lots of theses and dissertations will come out of this storm

URNT12 KNHC 291535

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL182012

A. 29/15:02:10Z

B. 37 deg 39 min N

071 deg 50 min W

C. 700 mb 2561 m

D. 47 kt

E. 092 deg 19 nm

F. 188 deg 56 kt

G. 092 deg 19 nm

H. 946 mb

I. 14 C / 3049 m

J. 15 C / 3049 m

K. 12 C / NA

L. NA

M. NA

N. 134 / 7

O. 0.02 / 3 nm

P. AF302 2318A SANDY OB 33

MAX FL WIND 94 KT SE QUAD 10:14:00Z

MAX FL TEMP 17 C 093 / 14 NM FROM FL CNTR

;

Yes, but might not be representative of the circulation

That southwest quadrant is quite fascinating with the intense low-level jet trapped below an 850mb inversion. Also, the more elevated jet (700mb) appears to be wrapping to the north side of the system, which has been well forecast by the guidance.

That southwest quadrant is quite fascinating with the intense low-level jet trapped below an 850mb inversion. Also, the more elevated jet (700mb) appears to be wrapping to the north side of the system, which has been well forecast by the guidance.

so do we extrapolate that deleware will get pluverized by 100 mph gusts for 2-3 hours ( if landfall in and around AC) later this evening?

I asked this question recently on the NYC forum, but got no answers (busy thread, though, so no surprise) - Any pros care to comment on the likelihood of the wind and/or rain fields, especially near the center (i.e., near those of us in Central/North Jersey and the NYC Metro area), becoming more symmetrical? Would be interesting to miss both the highest winds and the greatest rains to the north of Sandy's track. See the quote, below from the latest NHC discussion. Thanks, in advance.

"AT THE MOMENT...

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ARE ONLY OCCURRING IN THE SOUTHWEST

QUADRANT...BUT MODEL GUIDANCE SUGGESTS THAT THESE COULD SPREAD INTO

THE NORTHERN SEMICIRCLE BEFORE LANDFALL."

aren't dropsondes more reliable?

There are times when NHC doesn't trust the dropsonde winds because they interpret the values as gusts rather than a true sustained wind. However, given the previous high SFMR values, this particular observation could be legitimate.

Wow. That might be enough for an update to Cat 2

I'm just shocked at how decent-looking it is on the IR imagery. I can't make sense of it-- that it's the end of October and this storm is keeping a solid blob of convection over the center this high up. Even though the highest winds aren't in that core convection, it's still a big WTF.

Nothing like Irene...

URNT12 KNHC 291554 CCA

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL182012

A. 29/15:02:10Z

B. 37 deg 39 min N

071 deg 50 min W

C. 700 mb 2561 m

D. 47 kt

E. 092 deg 19 nm

F. 188 deg 56 kt

G. 092 deg 19 nm

H. 946 mb