12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Rocktober like the old days. Bridging to winter

weathafella

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+15 departures around D8 or 9 on this Euro run and the pattern extrapolation drills that almost equally negative 4 days later. Interesting.

eh, it's more likely that the Euro is too far W with the trough prior to ejecting it E and that pumps heights biased on the high side, leading -

I agree with that EPO ridge. I guess the question is how strong will it get, and how will the -PNA try to fight it off. That's the gradient pattern look we've been describing. The GFS obviously is quick to bring cooler air our way, but the EC and even Canadian are saying not so fast. But, the GEFS have won a few battle so maybe we'll see a couple of shots?

And to be clear, this is after early next week when we mentioned we will probably cool down later in the week. The question is just how much.

Do you think as the wavelengths lengthen it will help our cause as far as being close enough to the cold air source, provided we can keep the -EPO?

Come down to the old Killingly High football field Saturday if you're around. My son's football game is then. Bring TB and some alcohol and we'll have a blast.

I work Saturdays, have a wedding there too, will not be home until 1 AM. High School? Sunday looks like a decent enough day. The step down process continues. Massive leaf blow down today but the foliage exploded bright, looks great.

I work Saturdays, have a wedding there too, will not be home until 1 AM. High School? Sunday looks like a decent enough day. The step down process continues. Massive leaf blow down today but the foliage exploded bright, looks great.

No, not high school, youth ball. They just use that field.

Yeah, it's pretty cool coming back on Friday from down here (Nyack), where everything is mostly green to come home to the colors, although lots of premature falling leaves.

Perhaps the most extraordinary early-season snowstorm in New England history occurred on Oct. 9, 1804 when a hurricane roared ashore on Long Island, New York and then encountered an arctic air mass over southeastern Canada. The winds of the hurricane caused extensive structural damage from New York to Massachusetts (where the steeple of North Church in Boston was blown down). The rain turned to snow as far south as the Connecticut River Valley in Connecticut, where low elevation towns from here to the Canadian border received 4-6" of snow, and the higher terrain of Vermont up to three feet of accumulation. In Vermont, drifts buried fences and blocked roads. The Catskills of New York reported 12-18"; the Berkshires of Massachusetts received 24-30". Even coastal New Haven reported some snow (and 3.66" of rain). Reference: "Early American Winters: 1604-1820", by David M. Ludlum, American Meteorological Society, 1966, and "Early American Hurricanes, 1492-1870", by the same author

Did the winter of 1804-05 blow?

No, not high school, youth ball. They just use that field.

Yeah, it's pretty cool coming back on Friday from down here (Nyack), where everything is mostly green to come home to the colors, although lots of premature falling leaves.

Yea premature is never a good thing in many subjects. Does your boys team play Griswold?, two of my granddaughters cheerlead for them.

Did the winter of 1804-05 blow?

All the accounts I have found stated it was a long cold winter. In fact,

"Harvesting natural ice became big business in New England during the 19th

century. The birth of America’s large scale commercial ice industry began in

New England in 1805. Frederick Tudor, a Boston merchant, created the first

natural ice business in the United States. He shipped ice harvested on a pond in

Lynn Massachusetts to the West Indies. Over the next thirty years Tudor made

a fortune shipping ice around the world to places like Charleston, New

Orleans, Cuba, Calcutta, South America, China and England. British records

show that Queen Victoria purchased some ice from Massachusetts in the 1840’s."

You gotta wonder ... if at some point in the last 2 million years of eastern North American history, just once did a full bird hurricane get sucked up into a bitter cold core full latitude hammer - just once. It's hinted at every year it seems. The big nor'easter of Dec' 2003, the CMC model sniffed that out at D9 as a just such a fusion of insane polarity. I think it stem-wound the bomb on down some 950mb and change, with snow on the western semi-circle.

Push came to shove and while there was a TC, it stayed in the Caribbean then moved NE and out without getting involved with the westerlies like that.

2005... Wilma brought 2-3+ feet to the higher elevations of the Greens and allowed Killington to open half the mountain on natural snow in October. I think they got like 40" from the tropical mixed with cold. Mansfield had 33" and a solid 2 foot snowpack...only time I've skied the trees in October.

natural ice business in the United States. He shipped ice harvested on a pond in

All winters back in the 1800s were long and cold in journal accounts. I think if we didn't have central heating and all the modern conveniences to deal with cold/snow we may feel the same way.

All winters back in the 1800s were long and cold in journal accounts. I think if we didn't have central heating and all the modern conveniences to deal with cold/snow we may feel the same way.

No they are not, many entries of warm winters with open lakes and less fire wood needed. Following your reasoning all summers must have been hot.

Looks like S NH didn't go very long that warm season without seeing snow.

http://www.nh-roots....ook/chap49.html

May 8, 1804. Snow fell sufficient for sleighing; it lay on the ground two days; apple trees in full bloom.

October 9, 1804. Snow fell two feet; the crops were unharvested; the leaves had not fallen from the trees and the hues of autumn were blended with the whiteness of winter.

Yean. A couple of hundredths of QPF after 18z Sat. Hopefully they don't cancel it!

Yeah that's a classic KFS fail right there.

What a torch at the end of that Euro op run. That may correlate to disaster this winter for south of I90.

We may have to preemptively block litchfield libations if the Euro is right.

+14 on the day

The historic -11 the other day at BDR, the first double digit departure since January has been blown out of the water bookended by a +8 and +14

Euro blowtorch is fun to look at it but thats all right now, more importantly steady above normal weather through this weekend at least, come mid November its time for cold, when it matters when it counts.

Archived